Re: [midatlanticretro] WRT VMS: The Gray/Grey Wall

  • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
    Message 1 of 15 , May 23, 2013
      Matt Patoray <mspproductions@...> writes:

      >Brian,
      >
      >I tried to email you off list but the mail got bounced back.

      FYI, if you are using a sign-n-drive email like Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, etc.
      my SMTP server has been instructed to reject it. There's just too too much
      abuse of these services. Either use the .ORG version or put [PASS:VAXman]
      somewhere in the subject line (that's a special passkey).

      >Where is all this located?

      Ohio. I know the fellow with it but not the particular city address. I'll
      get that this evening and pass it along to Evan as I believe he'd like this
      for the museum.

    • s100doctor
      Message 2 of 15 , May 24, 2013

        > >Well, we don't know where in Ohio the documentation resides.

        Just a note about shipping: nothing's cheaper than "media mail". The Postal Service accepts books, diskettes, tapes for Media Mail rates. But NOT magazines or anything with advertizing in it. I've had good luck shipping that way.

        Herb Johnson
        Message 3 of 15 , May 24, 2013
          On 05/24/2013 04:17 PM, s100doctor wrote:
          >>> Well, we don't know where in Ohio the documentation resides.
          >>
          > Just a note about shipping: nothing's cheaper than "media mail". The
          > Postal Service accepts books, diskettes, tapes for Media Mail rates.
          > But NOT magazines or anything with advertizing in it. I've had good
          > luck shipping that way.

          A VMS manual set consists of DOZENS of large three-ring binders.

          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
          New Kensington, PA
        • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
          Message 4 of 15 , May 24, 2013
            "s100doctor" <hjohnson@...> writes:

            >> >Well, we don't know where in Ohio the documentation resides.
            >> >
            >Just a note about shipping: nothing's cheaper than "media mail". The Postal=
            > Service accepts books, diskettes, tapes for Media Mail rates. But NOT maga=
            >zines or anything with advertizing in it. I've had good luck shipping that =
            >way.

            I believe they'd have to be sent separately though.

            I'm still trying to ascertain where the set is physically located. I just
            got off the phone with the fellow who relayed this to me. It might be in
            Traverse City, Mich. and not in Ohio. Anyway, UPS or FedEx ground might be
            the better way get this stuff. I would put $100 up for the delivery costs.
            Somebody just needs to decide that they'll take delivery for MARCH.

          • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
            Message 5 of 15 , May 24, 2013
              Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

              >--d2jtu6YkH7t1ayT0EjeQ1Q6-SiQs6OGB80fbmuf

              >> Just a note about shipping: nothing's cheaper than "media mail". The
              >> Postal Service accepts books, diskettes, tapes for Media Mail rates.
              >> But NOT magazines or anything with advertizing in it. I've had good
              >> luck shipping that way.
              >
              > A VMS manual set consists of DOZENS of large three-ring binders.

              Yup! Roughly 20 in the programmer references, and a dozen each in the user
              and management references.

              http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mV15GOZIvsvr7PKKTvTVFPw.jpg