Re: [midatlanticretro] WRT VMS: The Gray/Grey Wall

  • Matt Patoray
    Message 1 of 15 , May 23, 2013
      Brian,

      I tried to email you off list but the mail got bounced back.

      Where is all this located?

      Matt

      Sent from my iPhone

      On May 23, 2013, at 10:56 AM, "Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-" <VAXman@...> wrote:

      The VMS operating system is vast and therefore, so was its documentation.
      The VMS V5.x documentation set was produced and housed in gray/grey ring-
      binder tomes and, when it sat on shelving, looked like a gray/grey wall;
      hence, the colloquial term: The Gray/Grey Wall. If you are unfamiliar,
      there are approximately 20 tomes each in groupings for programming, user
      and management for a total of approximately 60 tomes. Most of the tomes
      are sub-divided.

      If you, or the museum at InfoAge, are interested in owning your very own
      "Gray/Grey Wall" there's a set available for the asking. Its owner only
      asks only for the cost to ship it, if need be. This set set is/was owned
      by a paragon in VMS development -- no, it's not me in this case -- who has
      quite the history of product development and patent ownership in the VMS
      space; so, sight unseen, I would assume that this set has been well kept
      and maintained over the years.

      If you are interested, contact me and I will put you in contact with the
      party trying to dispense of this set. It must be claimed by the end of
      the month (May 2013) or it will see its demise in the skip.

      FWIW, this set is in Ohio.

    • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
      Message 2 of 15 , May 23, 2013
        Evan Koblentz <evan@...> writes:

        >---oyXLYA-OHnxGDHjg5xn8wplowawa6orZ2Rzk4B

        >>> Awesome. I pinged Matt P., who lives in Youngstown, but I know zilch
        >>> about your state's geography. :)
        >>>

        >> That's a bit too far out for me. It'd be difficult to get a ride to
        >> somewhere 3 hours away.
        >>

        >Well, we don't know where in Ohio the documentation resides.
        >
        >Brian: Please email me off-list with the contact info. Cory S.: I'll let
        >you know when I find out the location.

        Wilco. I was contacted last evening about 21:00. I'll try to get the
        location this evening and pass it along.

      • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
        Message 3 of 15 , May 23, 2013
          Matt Patoray <mspproductions@...> writes:

          >Brian,
          >
          >I tried to email you off list but the mail got bounced back.

          FYI, if you are using a sign-n-drive email like Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, etc.
          my SMTP server has been instructed to reject it. There's just too too much
          abuse of these services. Either use the .ORG version or put [PASS:VAXman]
          somewhere in the subject line (that's a special passkey).

          >Where is all this located?

          Ohio. I know the fellow with it but not the particular city address. I'll
          get that this evening and pass it along to Evan as I believe he'd like this
          for the museum.

        • s100doctor
          Message 4 of 15 , May 24, 2013

            > >Well, we don't know where in Ohio the documentation resides.

            Just a note about shipping: nothing's cheaper than "media mail". The Postal Service accepts books, diskettes, tapes for Media Mail rates. But NOT magazines or anything with advertizing in it. I've had good luck shipping that way.

            Herb Johnson
            Message 5 of 15 , May 24, 2013
              On 05/24/2013 04:17 PM, s100doctor wrote:
              >>> Well, we don't know where in Ohio the documentation resides.
              >>
              > Just a note about shipping: nothing's cheaper than "media mail". The
              > Postal Service accepts books, diskettes, tapes for Media Mail rates.
              > But NOT magazines or anything with advertizing in it. I've had good
              > luck shipping that way.

              A VMS manual set consists of DOZENS of large three-ring binders.

              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
              New Kensington, PA
            • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
              Message 6 of 15 , May 24, 2013
                "s100doctor" <hjohnson@...> writes:

                >> >Well, we don't know where in Ohio the documentation resides.
                >> >
                >Just a note about shipping: nothing's cheaper than "media mail". The Postal=
                > Service accepts books, diskettes, tapes for Media Mail rates. But NOT maga=
                >zines or anything with advertizing in it. I've had good luck shipping that =
                >way.

                I believe they'd have to be sent separately though.

                I'm still trying to ascertain where the set is physically located. I just
                got off the phone with the fellow who relayed this to me. It might be in
                Traverse City, Mich. and not in Ohio. Anyway, UPS or FedEx ground might be
                the better way get this stuff. I would put $100 up for the delivery costs.
                Somebody just needs to decide that they'll take delivery for MARCH.

              • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                Message 7 of 15 , May 24, 2013
                  Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                  >--d2jtu6YkH7t1ayT0EjeQ1Q6-SiQs6OGB80fbmuf

                  >> Just a note about shipping: nothing's cheaper than "media mail". The
                  >> Postal Service accepts books, diskettes, tapes for Media Mail rates.
                  >> But NOT magazines or anything with advertizing in it. I've had good
                  >> luck shipping that way.
                  >
                  > A VMS manual set consists of DOZENS of large three-ring binders.

                  Yup! Roughly 20 in the programmer references, and a dozen each in the user
                  and management references.

                  http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mV15GOZIvsvr7PKKTvTVFPw.jpg