WRT VMS: The Gray/Grey Wall

  • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
    Message 1 of 15 , May 23, 2013
      The VMS operating system is vast and therefore, so was its documentation.
      The VMS V5.x documentation set was produced and housed in gray/grey ring-
      binder tomes and, when it sat on shelving, looked like a gray/grey wall;
      hence, the colloquial term: The Gray/Grey Wall. If you are unfamiliar,
      there are approximately 20 tomes each in groupings for programming, user
      and management for a total of approximately 60 tomes. Most of the tomes
      are sub-divided.

      If you, or the museum at InfoAge, are interested in owning your very own
      "Gray/Grey Wall" there's a set available for the asking. Its owner only
      asks only for the cost to ship it, if need be. This set set is/was owned
      by a paragon in VMS development -- no, it's not me in this case -- who has
      quite the history of product development and patent ownership in the VMS
      space; so, sight unseen, I would assume that this set has been well kept
      and maintained over the years.

      If you are interested, contact me and I will put you in contact with the
      party trying to dispense of this set. It must be claimed by the end of
      the month (May 2013) or it will see its demise in the skip.

      FWIW, this set is in Ohio.

      Message 2 of 15 , May 23, 2013
        > for a total of approximately 60 tomes.

        We'd love to have it, but...

        I will contact some people in the midwest to see about saving it.
      • Cory Smelosky
        Message 3 of 15 , May 23, 2013
          On Thu, 23 May 2013, Evan Koblentz wrote:

          >> for a total of approximately 60 tomes.
          >
          > We'd love to have it, but...
          >
          > I will contact some people in the midwest to see about saving it.

          I'm in Ohio. I could get it if it's reasonably close and hold on to it
          until I could get it to you.

          Cory Smelosky
          http://gewt.net/ Personal stuff
          http://gimme-sympathy.org Experiments
          Message 4 of 15 , May 23, 2013

            >>> for a total of approximately 60 tomes.
            >>
            >> We'd love to have it, but...
            >>
            >> I will contact some people in the midwest to see about saving it.
            >>

            > I'm in Ohio. I could get it if it's reasonably close and hold on to it
            > until I could get it to you.

            Awesome. I pinged Matt P., who lives in Youngstown, but I know zilch
            about your state's geography. :)
          • Cory Smelosky
            Message 5 of 15 , May 23, 2013

              >>> We'd love to have it, but...
              >>>
              >>> I will contact some people in the midwest to see about saving it.
              >>>

              >> I'm in Ohio. I could get it if it's reasonably close and hold on to it
              >> until I could get it to you.
              >>

              > Awesome. I pinged Matt P., who lives in Youngstown, but I know zilch
              > about your state's geography. :)

              That's a bit too far out for me. It'd be difficult to get a ride to
              somewhere 3 hours away.

              Message 6 of 15 , May 23, 2013

                >>> I'm in Ohio. I could get it if it's reasonably close and hold on to it
                >>> until I could get it to you.
                >>>

                >> Awesome. I pinged Matt P., who lives in Youngstown, but I know zilch
                >> about your state's geography. :)
                >>

                > That's a bit too far out for me. It'd be difficult to get a ride to
                > somewhere 3 hours away.

                Well, we don't know where in Ohio the documentation resides.

                Brian: Please email me off-list with the contact info. Cory S.: I'll let
                you know when I find out the location.
                Message 7 of 15 , May 23, 2013
                  If noone else can save it, I will take it...so if someone will definitely
                  get it, please inform the list. Due primarily to classiccmp-style
                  curmudgeons, COMPLETE sets are becoming very difficult to find.

                  And speaking of Gray Walls, I have two incomplete sets here...since they're
                  already incomplete, I don't mind breaking them up further. If anyone has an
                  almost-complete set, send me your "missing" list and I'll see if I can fill
                  it. Cost of shipping, of course.

                  -Dave

                  --
                  Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                  New Kensington, PA
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 23, 2013

                    >>> Awesome. I pinged Matt P., who lives in Youngstown, but I know zilch
                    >>> about your state's geography. :)
                    >>>

                    >> That's a bit too far out for me. It'd be difficult to get a ride to
                    >> somewhere 3 hours away.
                    >>

                    > Well, we don't know where in Ohio the documentation resides.

                    Oh. Right! Read a bit too quickly. ;)

                    > Brian: Please email me off-list with the contact info. Cory S.: I'll let
                    > you know when I find out the location.

                    Thank you.

                    Cory Smelosky
                    http://gewt.net/ Personal stuff
                    http://gimme-sympathy.org Experiments
                  • Matt Patoray
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 23, 2013
                      Brian,

                      I tried to email you off list but the mail got bounced back.

                      Where is all this located?

                      Matt

                      Sent from my iPhone

                      Message 10 of 15 , May 23, 2013
                        Evan Koblentz <evan@...> writes:

                        >---oyXLYA-OHnxGDHjg5xn8wplowawa6orZ2Rzk4B

                        >>> Awesome. I pinged Matt P., who lives in Youngstown, but I know zilch
                        >>> about your state's geography. :)
                        >>>

                        >> That's a bit too far out for me. It'd be difficult to get a ride to
                        >> somewhere 3 hours away.
                        >>

                        >Well, we don't know where in Ohio the documentation resides.
                        >
                        >Brian: Please email me off-list with the contact info. Cory S.: I'll let
                        >you know when I find out the location.

                        Wilco. I was contacted last evening about 21:00. I'll try to get the
                        location this evening and pass it along.

                      • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 23, 2013
                          Matt Patoray <mspproductions@...> writes:

                          >Brian,
                          >
                          >I tried to email you off list but the mail got bounced back.

                          FYI, if you are using a sign-n-drive email like Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, etc.
                          my SMTP server has been instructed to reject it. There's just too too much
                          abuse of these services. Either use the .ORG version or put [PASS:VAXman]
                          somewhere in the subject line (that's a special passkey).

                          >Where is all this located?

                          Ohio. I know the fellow with it but not the particular city address. I'll
                          get that this evening and pass it along to Evan as I believe he'd like this
                          for the museum.

                        • s100doctor
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 24, 2013

                            > >Well, we don't know where in Ohio the documentation resides.

                            Just a note about shipping: nothing's cheaper than "media mail". The Postal Service accepts books, diskettes, tapes for Media Mail rates. But NOT magazines or anything with advertizing in it. I've had good luck shipping that way.

                            Herb Johnson
                            Message 13 of 15 , May 24, 2013
                              On 05/24/2013 04:17 PM, s100doctor wrote:
                              >>> Well, we don't know where in Ohio the documentation resides.
                              >>
                              > Just a note about shipping: nothing's cheaper than "media mail". The
                              > Postal Service accepts books, diskettes, tapes for Media Mail rates.
                              > But NOT magazines or anything with advertizing in it. I've had good
                              > luck shipping that way.

                              A VMS manual set consists of DOZENS of large three-ring binders.

                              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                              New Kensington, PA
                            • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                              Message 14 of 15 , May 24, 2013
                                "s100doctor" <hjohnson@...> writes:

                                >> >Well, we don't know where in Ohio the documentation resides.
                                >> >
                                >Just a note about shipping: nothing's cheaper than "media mail". The Postal=
                                > Service accepts books, diskettes, tapes for Media Mail rates. But NOT maga=
                                >zines or anything with advertizing in it. I've had good luck shipping that =
                                >way.

                                I believe they'd have to be sent separately though.

                                I'm still trying to ascertain where the set is physically located. I just
                                got off the phone with the fellow who relayed this to me. It might be in
                                Traverse City, Mich. and not in Ohio. Anyway, UPS or FedEx ground might be
                                the better way get this stuff. I would put $100 up for the delivery costs.
                                Somebody just needs to decide that they'll take delivery for MARCH.

                              • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                                Message 15 of 15 , May 24, 2013
                                  Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                                  >--d2jtu6YkH7t1ayT0EjeQ1Q6-SiQs6OGB80fbmuf

                                  >> Just a note about shipping: nothing's cheaper than "media mail". The
                                  >> Postal Service accepts books, diskettes, tapes for Media Mail rates.
                                  >> But NOT magazines or anything with advertizing in it. I've had good
                                  >> luck shipping that way.
                                  >
                                  > A VMS manual set consists of DOZENS of large three-ring binders.

                                  Yup! Roughly 20 in the programmer references, and a dozen each in the user
                                  and management references.

                                  http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mV15GOZIvsvr7PKKTvTVFPw.jpg