Re: [midatlanticretro] Acquired a PDP-8/E

  • David Gesswein
    Message 1 of 91 , May 22, 2013
      On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 11:17:33AM -0500, Kyle Owen wrote:

      > And I suppose it's safe to assume that all incandescent bulbs are of OL-2
      > type? I've found that the extended memory address lights and the run light
      > are all OL-1, and thus light very dimly. I plan on ordering (50) JKL 7371
      > 12V 40mA bulbs, which, being extra bright, should look good and last a
      > while at 8V.

      Yes they all should be the same.

      > The 9-pin (I think) connector going from the power supply to the backplane
      > has a broken tab that holds it to the panel of the power supply. Do you
      > have a part number for these? It makes plugging in the connector quite
      > difficult, since it wants to slide inside the case.

      I didn't find the correct part number but I think it is similar to
      TE Connectivity/AMP 1-480323-0. Look around at those and see if any
      match.
      Message 91 of 91 , Jun 6, 2013
        On 06/06/2013 12:54 PM, Kyle Owen wrote:
        > That looks like a nice product, but yes, it's certainly expensive. I've got
        > some FPGA background myself, along with several different microcontrollers,
        > so I may see about creating something that will work with my high-speed paper
        > tape interface. That could be considered an OS/8 storage device, yes?

        OS/8 needs a random-access storage device; paper tape won't do it.
        Magnetic tape drives are *physically* sequential-access, of course, but the
        TU56 (for example) is logically a random-access, block-oriented device. (with
        highly variable latency ;))

        > I would
        > have no idea how to go about writing a driver for it yet, but perhaps it'd be
        > in my best interest to start reading up on the commands for the card and then
        > learn more about OS/8. Do you have any suggestions on recommended reading for
        > this?

        If this was a generally-directed question...The book you want for "most
        things OS/8" is the "OS/8 Handbook". It is excellent. Try to find a paper
        copy if you can, but it's available in PDF on bitsavers:

        http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/dec/pdp8/os8/OS8_Handbook_Apr1974.pdf

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ