Re: Retro WiFi

  • s100doctor
    Message 1 of 27 , May 22, 2013

      > Herb:
      >
      > IMP doesn't support any network procotols. I'm simply using the
      > vintage computer as a terminal to login to a shell on the Pi. From there,
      > I can SSH into other systems to do email, or use Lynx to do text-only web
      > browsing. It's a bit of a cheat, since the Pi is enormously more powerful
      > than the vintage computer, but I'm just looking for a quick, portable and
      > flexible way to connect to the network.

      Thanks for the explanation and reference to docs. Several years ago, before Linux embedded computers were available, and even before embedded processor "ethernet boards" were available, there was all kinds of chatter and efforts to "run CP/M on the Internet". I gathered up the usual suspects and wrote a Web page about the efforts:

      http://www.retrotechnology.com/dri/cpm_tcpip.html

      ..the open question being, could a CP/M-class computer "handle" a
      TCP/IP "stack"? The answer was "yes, it DID", as part of packet radio in the radio amateur community. Other micros like C64's were used. Later, packet radio "modems" were built with Z80-class technology; then 8035-class microcontrollers. You can still buy TNC's cheap at hamfests, I have a few lying around somewhere.

      But around 2009 when I wrote the note, the "ethernet on a chip" products appeared and those were put to use. Now, it appears, one can just buy "Linux on a chip" and it does it all.

      I'm a little sad that the vintage computer is mostly used as a terminal for "internet" access. But, it works both ways, so in principle one can use the $35 Linux bug as an Internet server and provide Web-to-console-port access to, well, whatever vintage computer has a serial port. I suppose with more effort, the Rasp Pi could more robustly operate a vintage computer, micro or mini. Then Bill Degnan's boast would become a reality: "email sent from my PDP-8".

      Oh, that I'll live long enough....

      Herb Johnson
      not yet PDPetering out
    • Dan Roganti
      Message 2 of 27 , May 23, 2013
        On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 10:14 AM, Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> wrote:

            Which Trendnet adapter are you using?

        This one, there's several others too

      • Bob Schwier
        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 11, 2013

          I did miss the original discussion.  Did you solve the issues and if so how?
          bs

          You may have missed the original conversation about this project. I'm
          going for something which will allow me to connect vintage computers to
          wireless or wired networks. It should be small and flexible. One of
          these days I'm going to bring my Osborne Vixen to a staff meeting and use
          it to logon to the wireless network and access email, take notes, and
          browse the web (via lynx). I'm not going be lugging other monitors, TVs,
          keyboards or USB hubs with me. I might even hide it inside the Vixen.
          :-)

          I don't want this to degenerate into a discussion about the Pi, itself.
          I'm noting my progress here because others had expressed interest in the
          concept.

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...