Re: [midatlanticretro] Acquired a PDP-8/E

    Message 1 of 91 , May 21, 2013
      On 05/21/2013 11:02 AM, Kyle Owen wrote:
      > Yes, you may be able to do that.
      >
      > Real music? Feh. Fun for five minutes. FORTRAN!!
      >

      > That's one language I've yet to learn. But I'm looking forward to it!
      > You see, though...it's the music that I can awe other laypeople with
      > ("They had computer music back in the early 70s?! Whoa..."). FORTRAN,
      > not so much. :)

      That depends on the people!! ;)

      > Darn again. Maybe that'll be a project down the road. I'm learning some
      > FPGA architectures and might could practice my VHDL skills (not to
      > mention analog data separators and what not) by making some converters.
      > Of course, a microcontroller may be just as suited.

      It could be done with a fast microcontroller. I've done some work in
      that area.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      Message 91 of 91 , Jun 6, 2013
        On 06/06/2013 12:54 PM, Kyle Owen wrote:
        > That looks like a nice product, but yes, it's certainly expensive. I've got
        > some FPGA background myself, along with several different microcontrollers,
        > so I may see about creating something that will work with my high-speed paper
        > tape interface. That could be considered an OS/8 storage device, yes?

        OS/8 needs a random-access storage device; paper tape won't do it.
        Magnetic tape drives are *physically* sequential-access, of course, but the
        TU56 (for example) is logically a random-access, block-oriented device. (with
        highly variable latency ;))

        > I would
        > have no idea how to go about writing a driver for it yet, but perhaps it'd be
        > in my best interest to start reading up on the commands for the card and then
        > learn more about OS/8. Do you have any suggestions on recommended reading for
        > this?

        If this was a generally-directed question...The book you want for "most
        things OS/8" is the "OS/8 Handbook". It is excellent. Try to find a paper
        copy if you can, but it's available in PDF on bitsavers:

        http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/dec/pdp8/os8/OS8_Handbook_Apr1974.pdf

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ