Re: [midatlanticretro] Acquired a PDP-8/E

  • David Gesswein
    Message 1 of 91 , May 21, 2013
      On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 10:16:05AM -0500, Kyle Owen wrote:
      > On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 8:19 PM, David Gesswein <djg@...> wrote:
      >
      > Ahh, very nice work. The "Straight-8" is a most impressive beast. I presume
      > you just drilled the broken side and didn't go all of the way through,
      > correct?

      Yes, most were only broken on one side.

      > Were the reproduction handles still injection molded? I may see about
      > getting a mold made at some point. Tracking down the right color plastic
      > may be tricky, but I'll see what I can work on. It'd be awesome to have
      > authentic reproductions.

      Yes they are injection molded. The company that owns the mold would make
      more but only if the volume was enough to be worth while. The right color
      is machine specific. If you hold them near each other all my machines
      have different color handles. I don't know if it is aging or poor control
      of plastic batches.

      > I have two controllers for PDP-11 8" floppy drives. Maybe somewhere down
      > the road I can trade those away, assuming they aren't worthless compared to
      > a PDP-8 controller.

      More 11 stuff is still around so they tend to have less value.
      Message 91 of 91 , Jun 6, 2013
        On 06/06/2013 12:54 PM, Kyle Owen wrote:
        > That looks like a nice product, but yes, it's certainly expensive. I've got
        > some FPGA background myself, along with several different microcontrollers,
        > so I may see about creating something that will work with my high-speed paper
        > tape interface. That could be considered an OS/8 storage device, yes?

        OS/8 needs a random-access storage device; paper tape won't do it.
        Magnetic tape drives are *physically* sequential-access, of course, but the
        TU56 (for example) is logically a random-access, block-oriented device. (with
        highly variable latency ;))

        > I would
        > have no idea how to go about writing a driver for it yet, but perhaps it'd be
        > in my best interest to start reading up on the commands for the card and then
        > learn more about OS/8. Do you have any suggestions on recommended reading for
        > this?

        If this was a generally-directed question...The book you want for "most
        things OS/8" is the "OS/8 Handbook". It is excellent. Try to find a paper
        copy if you can, but it's available in PDF on bitsavers:

        http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/dec/pdp8/os8/OS8_Handbook_Apr1974.pdf

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ