Re: [midatlanticretro] Acquired a PDP-8/E

  • David Riley
    Message 1 of 91 , May 21, 2013
      On May 21, 2013, at 11:16 AM, Kyle Owen <kylevowen@...> wrote:

      > I saw some of the switches recently though they are normally ok. The handles
      > are harder. I have a few
      > reproduction handles left. They will not match your colors properly so any
      > switch handle you can fix your better of with that. If you have some that
      > are hopeless email me direct and we can discuss. Some people have painted
      > handles to match better.
      >
      > Were the reproduction handles still injection molded? I may see about getting a mold made at some point. Tracking down the right color plastic may be tricky, but I'll see what I can work on. It'd be awesome to have authentic reproductions.

      You would make a lot of people very happy if you did that.

      - Dave
      Message 91 of 91 , Jun 6, 2013
        On 06/06/2013 12:54 PM, Kyle Owen wrote:
        > That looks like a nice product, but yes, it's certainly expensive. I've got
        > some FPGA background myself, along with several different microcontrollers,
        > so I may see about creating something that will work with my high-speed paper
        > tape interface. That could be considered an OS/8 storage device, yes?

        OS/8 needs a random-access storage device; paper tape won't do it.
        Magnetic tape drives are *physically* sequential-access, of course, but the
        TU56 (for example) is logically a random-access, block-oriented device. (with
        highly variable latency ;))

        > I would
        > have no idea how to go about writing a driver for it yet, but perhaps it'd be
        > in my best interest to start reading up on the commands for the card and then
        > learn more about OS/8. Do you have any suggestions on recommended reading for
        > this?

        If this was a generally-directed question...The book you want for "most
        things OS/8" is the "OS/8 Handbook". It is excellent. Try to find a paper
        copy if you can, but it's available in PDF on bitsavers:

        http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/dec/pdp8/os8/OS8_Handbook_Apr1974.pdf

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ