Re: [midatlanticretro] DEC MMJ

  • Mr Ian Primus
    Message 1 of 6 , May 21, 2013
      --- On Tue, 5/21/13, tedheadster <whiteheadm@...> wrote:

      > Anybody have some DEC Modified Modular Jack (MMJ) serial adapters? I have
      > the MMJ cable and a MicroVAX that needs it for the console, but I need to
      > plug it into a 'normal' DB25 or DB9 serial port.

      I don't have any adapters - but what I usually do is crimp a 6 position telephone connector onto some cable and file the clip off to allow it to fit in the MMJ socket. If you don't file it completely off, you can leave just enough material that it fits snugly. Then you solder the other end of the cable into a DSUB connector. Works great.

      -Ian
    • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
      Message 2 of 6 , May 21, 2013
        Mr Ian Primus <ian_primus@...> writes:

        >> Anybody have some DEC Modified Modular Jack (MMJ) serial adapters? I have
        >> the MMJ cable and a MicroVAX that needs it for the console, but I need to
        >> plug it into a 'normal' DB25 or DB9 serial port.

        I have hundreds of MMJ plugs and only need 6-conductor flat cable to produce
        them. I used to buy it by the spool but now, for the occasional request for
        one, I buy the 25' 6-wire phone extension at the local Radio-crap-Shack and
        cut off the RJ-12s. I also have the crimping tool dies to put the MMJ ends
        on the cable, so if you want actual MMJ cabling, let me know.

      • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
        Message 3 of 6 , May 21, 2013
          tedheadster <whiteheadm@...> writes:

          >I tried replying to your personal address, but the email bounced. Is that
          >as you want it? How shall I contact you privately?

          I don't blindly permit "sign-n-drive" accounts to SPAM me. (ie. hotmail,
          gmail, yahoo, etc.). Your @gmail addy is now on my whitelist. Also, if
          and when in doubt, substitute .ORG for .COM. ;)