DEC MMJ

  • tedheadster
    Message 1 of 6 , May 21, 2013
      Anybody have some DEC Modified Modular Jack (MMJ) serial adapters? I have the MMJ cable and a MicroVAX that needs it for the console, but I need to plug it into a 'normal' DB25 or DB9 serial port.

      - Matthew W

    • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
      Message 2 of 6 , May 21, 2013
        tedheadster <whiteheadm@...> writes:

        >Anybody have some DEC Modified Modular Jack (MMJ) serial adapters? I have
        >the MMJ cable and a MicroVAX that needs it for the console, but I need to
        >plug it into a 'normal' DB25 or DB9 serial port.

        I do and I may even have some kits left to build you one. What MicroVAX
        have you? Not that it matters for the cabling, just curiosity.

      • tedheadster
        Message 3 of 6 , May 21, 2013
          I tried replying to your personal address, but the email bounced. Is that as you want it? How shall I contact you privately?

          It's a MicroVAX 3500.
        • Mr Ian Primus
          Message 4 of 6 , May 21, 2013
            --- On Tue, 5/21/13, tedheadster <whiteheadm@...> wrote:

            > Anybody have some DEC Modified Modular Jack (MMJ) serial adapters? I have
            > the MMJ cable and a MicroVAX that needs it for the console, but I need to
            > plug it into a 'normal' DB25 or DB9 serial port.

            I don't have any adapters - but what I usually do is crimp a 6 position telephone connector onto some cable and file the clip off to allow it to fit in the MMJ socket. If you don't file it completely off, you can leave just enough material that it fits snugly. Then you solder the other end of the cable into a DSUB connector. Works great.

            -Ian
          • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
            Message 5 of 6 , May 21, 2013
              Mr Ian Primus <ian_primus@...> writes:

              >> Anybody have some DEC Modified Modular Jack (MMJ) serial adapters? I have
              >> the MMJ cable and a MicroVAX that needs it for the console, but I need to
              >> plug it into a 'normal' DB25 or DB9 serial port.

              I have hundreds of MMJ plugs and only need 6-conductor flat cable to produce
              them. I used to buy it by the spool but now, for the occasional request for
              one, I buy the 25' 6-wire phone extension at the local Radio-crap-Shack and
              cut off the RJ-12s. I also have the crimping tool dies to put the MMJ ends
              on the cable, so if you want actual MMJ cabling, let me know.

            • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
              Message 6 of 6 , May 21, 2013
                tedheadster <whiteheadm@...> writes:

                >I tried replying to your personal address, but the email bounced. Is that
                >as you want it? How shall I contact you privately?

                I don't blindly permit "sign-n-drive" accounts to SPAM me. (ie. hotmail,
                gmail, yahoo, etc.). Your @gmail addy is now on my whitelist. Also, if
                and when in doubt, substitute .ORG for .COM. ;)