Re: [midatlanticretro] Acquired a PDP-8/E

  • Dan Roganti
    Message 1 of 91 , May 20, 2013
      On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 12:24 PM, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:
      On 05/20/2013 12:09 PM, Kyle Owen wrote:
      > Yeah, the Sharpie marks made me sad too. Depending on what the switches are
      > made of, I may can use a light solvent, but I think a slight polishing would
      > actually do a better job.

        Yes, I'd err on the side of mechanical polishing rather than chemical.
      That's very old plastic.

      Depending on the plastic and how porous, I use IPA to clean off any sharpie graffiti.

      Dan

      Message 91 of 91 , Jun 6, 2013
        On 06/06/2013 12:54 PM, Kyle Owen wrote:
        > That looks like a nice product, but yes, it's certainly expensive. I've got
        > some FPGA background myself, along with several different microcontrollers,
        > so I may see about creating something that will work with my high-speed paper
        > tape interface. That could be considered an OS/8 storage device, yes?

        OS/8 needs a random-access storage device; paper tape won't do it.
        Magnetic tape drives are *physically* sequential-access, of course, but the
        TU56 (for example) is logically a random-access, block-oriented device. (with
        highly variable latency ;))

        > I would
        > have no idea how to go about writing a driver for it yet, but perhaps it'd be
        > in my best interest to start reading up on the commands for the card and then
        > learn more about OS/8. Do you have any suggestions on recommended reading for
        > this?

        If this was a generally-directed question...The book you want for "most
        things OS/8" is the "OS/8 Handbook". It is excellent. Try to find a paper
        copy if you can, but it's available in PDF on bitsavers:

        http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/dec/pdp8/os8/OS8_Handbook_Apr1974.pdf

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ