Re: [midatlanticretro] Photos from May 18-19 MARCH event weekend

    Message 1 of 13 , May 19, 2013
      >> Contact me, Evan, or just show up. ... There is someone at InfoAge every day, but we generally work Sundays, many Wednesdays and some Saturdays. Evan - Is this correct?

      Incorrect. Everyone: Please come help us, but definitely don't just show up. Always arrange through me.
    • Jeffrey Brace
      Message 2 of 13 , May 19, 2013
        > But it was an especially fun weekend, great group of old and new members,
        >lots of activity and vintage computering.

        I enjoyed as well! It was nice to see everyone from near and far. Dan
        Roganti and I got a good start on our Multi-Player Artillery Duel project. I
        also was able to replace the capacitor in my SE/30 with help and parts from
        Ian, Jonathan and Dan Roganti. I wasn't able to test it because it was late
        in the day and the power was going off.

        >The next event that I plan to attend is "Too Many Games" near Philadelphia
        >in mid-June.

        Looks like fun. I can make it there on Sunday. It would give me an excuse to
        go there and also meetup with some friends from the Philadelphia area that I
        haven't seen for a while.

        Jeff Brace
      • Dan Roganti
        Message 3 of 13 , May 20, 2013

          On Sun, May 19, 2013 at 8:15 PM, B. Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:
          Just a few photos.  I did not get everything...but it was an especially fun
          weekend, great group of old and new members, lots of activity and vintage
          computering.

          nice pics, I hope some others post their pics online soon.

          It was real good to see everyone there again, and the new faces too. It's always nice to hear about more people joining the group. It was nice long wknd at the workshop, only wish it was longer.

          maybe we can make it 3 days next time :)
          Dan

        • s100doctor
          Message 4 of 13 , May 24, 2013

            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> wrote:

            > nice pics, I hope some others post their pics online soon.

            So...where's *your* photos? ;)

            I have a rough draft for my Web page on the weekend. I welcome help in captioning the photos, I'm not good at tagging names to faces. Also I'll be glad to point to other people's pictures online, like Bill's; they can likewise point to my page:

            http://www.retrotechnology.com/restore/marchfixit5_13.html

            and in due course I'll have a page on getting my 8/F up and running, which happened during the event.

            I'm surprised more people aren't posting about how *busy* the event was, and how many systems were worked on, across many brands. From DEC to Tandy and Commodore, some S-100. A fair number of 8-inch floppy drives, even a 9-track tape drive, some Vaxes/Vaxen. Personal stuff and MARCHs stuff too. If all that is on Twitter, it's invisible to me.

            Herb Johnson
          • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
            Message 5 of 13 , May 24, 2013
              "s100doctor" <hjohnson@...> writes:

              >> On Sun, May 19, 2013 at 8:15 PM, B. Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:
              >>=20
              >> > http://vintagecomputer.net/browse_thread.cfm?id=3D516
              >> > Just a few photos. I did not get everything...but it was an especially=
              > fun
              >> > weekend, great group of old and new members, lots of activity and vinta=
              >ge
              >> > computering.
              >>=20
              >--- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> nice pics, I hope some others post their pics online soon.
              >>=20
              >
              >So...where's *your* photos? ;)
              >
              >I have a rough draft for my Web page on the weekend. I welcome help in capt=
              >ioning the photos, I'm not good at tagging names to faces. Also I'll be gla=
              >d to point to other people's pictures online, like Bill's; they can likewis=
              >e point to my page:
              >
              >http://www.retrotechnology.com/restore/marchfixit5_13.html
              >
              >and in due course I'll have a page on getting my 8/F up and running, which =
              >happened during the event.=20
              >
              >I'm surprised more people aren't posting about how *busy* the event was, an=
              >d how many systems were worked on, across many brands. From DEC to Tandy an=
              >d Commodore, some S-100. A fair number of 8-inch floppy drives, even a 9-tr=
              >ack tape drive, some Vaxes/Vaxen. Personal stuff and MARCHs stuff too. If a=
              >ll that is on Twitter, it's invisible to me.
              >
              >Herb Johnson

              Pic #20 is Matthew Whitehead. I helped him out with the Qbus on Sunday when
              dropped in for about 2 hours. Now photo of me there, however.

            • David Riley
              Message 6 of 13 , May 24, 2013
                On May 24, 2013, at 16:14, "s100doctor" <hjohnson@...> wrote:

                I'm surprised more people aren't posting about how *busy* the event was, and how many systems were worked on, across many brands. From DEC to Tandy and Commodore, some S-100. A fair number of 8-inch floppy drives, even a 9-track tape drive, some Vaxes/Vaxen. Personal stuff and MARCHs stuff too. If all that is on Twitter, it's invisible to me.

                I just haven't had much time to post about it. I had a great deal of fun, and it gave me the uninterrupted diagnosis time to nail down the root of the problems with my 9-track: a dying LM323 5v regulator (I ordered a few new ones from Digi-Key as soon as I got back, and the 5v rail is solid as a rock now; no more intermittent resets!). I still need to replace or repair the Pertec cables, which seem to have gotten pinched; I really don't need 6-foot ones, so I could probably shorten them without trouble.

                So yes, that was my tiny Qbus PDP-11 and tape drive, which is not actually a desktop unit (though compared to a vacuum column one, it might as well be). Many thanks to all for help and diagnoses, especially Dave G. For letting me use his canned air as freeze mist, which confirmed the regulator theory. Also many thanks to Ian for selling me an RL02 at a bargain price!

                It was great seeing a bunch of people that I mostly only know from various mailing lists. I had a really good time, and I'm looking forward to the next one!

                I didn't take too many pictures, but if I decide there are any that are even worth posting on Facebook, I'll link them.

                - Dave
              • David Comley
                Message 7 of 13 , May 26, 2013

                  On May 24, 2013, at 4:14 PM, "s100doctor" <hjohnson@...> wrote:

                  I have a rough draft for my Web page on the weekend. I welcome help in captioning the photos, I'm not good at tagging names to faces. Also I'll be glad to point to other people's pictures online, like Bill's; they can likewise point to my page:

                  http://www.retrotechnology.com/restore/marchfixit5_13.html

                  Like the page, Herb, thanks for putting it up. I didn't get too many pictures this time myself.

                  As you noted, I worked on my BBC Micro and the club's HP64110A development station. I also worked on my DG Nova 4/C and spent some time with Evan looking at the club's Osborne 1.

                  I was glad to get the BBC micro disk filing system up and running. Having neither formatted diskettes nor the utility disk to create them I resorted to a keyed in BASIC routine which seemed to work. I was also able to get Micro-PROLOG up in ROM. My notes are here:

                  Great to see everyone and meet new folks, and I look forward to the next event. Brilliant weekend  !

                  -Dave

                • s100doctor
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 26, 2013
                    --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, David Comley <david_comley@...> wrote:

                    > On May 24, 2013, at 4:14 PM, "s100doctor" <hjohnson@...> wrote:
                    >

                    > > http://www.retrotechnology.com/restore/marchfixit5_13.html
                    > >

                    > Like the page, Herb, thanks for putting it up. I didn't get too many pictures this time myself.
                    > [notes and Web link]

                    Thanks, David for your support to me as well. David brought some DEC Pro 350 boards, in case I needed them.

                    I'm taking the liberty of grabbing people's posted links and comments and adding them to my Web page. Of course contact me at my site (as some have) accordingly or with more notes, or to ID some of the photos. I've added a few more photos from other folks, as identified.

                    Herb
                    retrotechnology.com
                  • David Gesswein
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 27, 2013
                      On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 10:21:55AM -0400, David Comley wrote:
                      > I also worked on my DG Nova 4/C and spent some time with Evan looking at
                      > the club's Osborne 1.

                      What was the final verdict on the caps? Did the leakage get down to more
                      expected level and was is similar between the caps and segements?

                      Have you plugged it in and did you get a super-nova?
                    • David Comley
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 28, 2013

                        >What was the final verdict on the caps? Did the leakage get down to more
                        >expected level and was is similar between the caps and segements?
                        It seemed different between segments. In each case, one segment had higher leakage - around 20mA - after reforming, while the other segment was lower, around 2mA.
                        I plan to trace out the schematic if I can't find one online or amongst my DG stuff, and see how the segments are being used. I'm guessing that one segment is 'stressed' more in use than the other within each can, and when I reassemble the board I might reverse the segments so the stronger ones replace the weaker ones.
                        >Have you plugged it in and did you get a super-nova?
                        Haven't plugged it in yet. I want to get a better 220V supply to my bench first. That little gray transformer I had with me isn't up to the task of powering the Nova.
                        If I do get a super-nova when I power it up, you'll probably see the light in the sky all the way from Maryland...
                        -Dave

                      • s100doctor
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 28, 2013
                          David Comley discusses with David Gesswein...

                          > >What was the final verdict on the caps? Did the leakage get down to more
                          > >expected level and was is similar between the caps and segements?

                          > It seemed different between segments.

                          > >Have you plugged it in and did you get a super-nova?

                          > Haven't plugged it in yet....
                          > If I do get a super-nova when I power it up, you'll probably see the light in the sky [in eastern PA] all the way from Maryland...
                          > -Dave

                          This made me laugh out loud. Oh, um...LOL.

                          Thanks, Herb
                        • s100doctor
                          Message 12 of 13 , May 31, 2013
                            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-" <VAXman@...> wrote:

                            > Pic #20 is Matthew Whitehead. I helped him out with the Qbus on Sunday when
                            > dropped in for about 2 hours. Now photo of me there, however.

                            I"ve been adding notes and updates as people contact me. Please continue to do so, send me links of your photos, I'll add the links with your permission. And I'll request photos of yours before I use
                            them of course; you can do likewise.

                            http://www.retrotechnology.com/restore/marchfixit5_13.html

                            Got around to posting my PDP-8 photos of the repair, as conducted
                            by David Gesswein mostly:

                            http://www.retrotechnology.com/restore/8f_fixitmay13.html

                            hard to believe it was only two weeks ago. Busy month...

                            Herb Johnson