Retro WiFi

  • Mike Loewen
    Message 1 of 27 , May 19, 2013
      A few weeks ago, we were speculating on the possibility of using a
      Raspberry Pi, a serial level shifter and a USB wireless dongle to get
      vintage systems online. I'm happy to report that the proof of concept is
      successful. I'm typing this on a stock TRS-80 Model 4P, running IMP 2.45
      under Montezuma Micro CP/M. There are some problems to be worked out, as
      I'm seeing some weird echo effects, despite the serial setting being
      correct. I'll update the group as I continue testing. With this
      configuration, it's also possible to connect via 100BaseT.
      Message 2 of 27 , May 19, 2013
        On 05/19/2013 09:34 PM, Mike Loewen wrote:
        > A few weeks ago, we were speculating on the possibility of using a
        > Raspberry Pi, a serial level shifter and a USB wireless dongle to get
        > vintage systems online. I'm happy to report that the proof of concept is
        > successful. I'm typing this on a stock TRS-80 Model 4P, running IMP 2.45
        > under Montezuma Micro CP/M. There are some problems to be worked out, as
        > I'm seeing some weird echo effects, despite the serial setting being
        > correct. I'll update the group as I continue testing. With this
        > configuration, it's also possible to connect via 100BaseT.

        Neat!

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        New Kensington, PA
      • Cory Smelosky
        Message 3 of 27 , May 19, 2013
          On Sun, 20 May 2013, Mike Loewen wrote:

          > A few weeks ago, we were speculating on the possibility of using a
          > Raspberry Pi, a serial level shifter and a USB wireless dongle to get
          > vintage systems online. I'm happy to report that the proof of concept is
          > successful. I'm typing this on a stock TRS-80 Model 4P, running IMP 2.45
          > under Montezuma Micro CP/M. There are some problems to be worked out, as
          > I'm seeing some weird echo effects, despite the serial setting being
          > correct. I'll update the group as I continue testing. With this
          > configuration, it's also possible to connect via 100BaseT.

          I'm betting not at 100Base-T speeds, though. ;)

          Cory Smelosky
          http://gewt.net/ Personal stuff
          http://gimme-sympathy.org Experiments
        • Kelly D. Leavitt
          Message 4 of 27 , May 20, 2013
            > I'm betting not at 100Base-T speeds, though. ;)

            Just because water comes out of a fire hose doesn't mean you can drink from it ;)

            Kelly
            Message 5 of 27 , May 20, 2013
              > A few weeks ago, we were speculating on the possibility of using a
              > Raspberry Pi, a serial level shifter and a USB wireless dongle to get
              > vintage systems online. I'm happy to report that the proof of concept is

              > successful. I'm typing this on a stock TRS-80 Model 4P, running IMP 2.45

              > under Montezuma Micro CP/M. There are some problems to be worked out, as

              > I'm seeing some weird echo effects, despite the serial setting being
              > correct. I'll update the group as I continue testing. With this
              > configuration, it's also possible to connect via 100BaseT.

              Wow sounds like fun. I don't have a serial level shifter. What is that?
              I have the Pi and TRS 80 Model 4P with Mont CP/M would love to try this. I
              think I am running a Debian on my RasPI, MAME stuff.

              Message 6 of 27 , May 20, 2013

                > A few weeks ago, we were speculating on the possibility of using a
                > Raspberry Pi, a serial level shifter and a USB wireless dongle to get
                > vintage systems online. I'm happy to report that the proof of concept is

                > successful.
                <snip>

                Serial Level Shifter
                http://www.bitbox.co.uk/product/rs232-serial-level-shifter/
              • David Riley
                Message 7 of 27 , May 20, 2013
                  On May 20, 2013, at 10:11, "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:

                  Wow sounds like fun. I don't have a serial level shifter. What is that?
                  I have the Pi and TRS 80 Model 4P with Mont CP/M would love to try this. I
                  think I am running a Debian on my RasPI, MAME stuff.

                  That would be something like a MAX232, which converts TTL
                  to RS232 levels (it has close cousins for CMOS levels, which you
                  would want for the RPi.

                  - Dave
                • Mike Loewen
                  Message 8 of 27 , May 20, 2013
                    On Mon, 20 May 2013, B. Degnan wrote:

> [...]

                    I opted for a 6-wire level shifter, in order to play with RTS/CTS flow
                    control. I used this one, based on a SP3232 chip:

                    Ebay 271036807405

                    Run it off the 3.3V supply pin. You can solder headers to the Raspi
                    2.0 board to get access to RTS and CTS.

                    The wireless adapter is an Edimax EW-7811un. Don't skimp on the power
                    supply for the Pi - get a 2A supply such as used for the Nexus 7 tablet.
                    Underpowered supplies will give you no end of grief.

                    Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                  • Vince Fleming
                    Message 9 of 27 , May 20, 2013

                      I'm not a hardware guy, per se, but wouldn't a USB->serial cable work just as well, if not better?

                      Message 10 of 27 , May 20, 2013
                        On Mon, 20 May 2013, Kelly D. Leavitt wrote:

> [...]

                        Completely true. ;)

                        Message 11 of 27 , May 20, 2013
                          For one thing, I want the ability to see boot messages from the serial
                          console port, which (as I recall) isn't an option when plugging a
                          USB<->serial cable into one of the Pi's USB ports. For another, the
                          serial port is already there on the Pi, it just requires a level shifter
                          to make it useful.

                          Message 12 of 27 , May 20, 2013

                            Ah - I thought you said you were trying to get a vintage system online.   I guess I missed the part about monitoring the Pi over Serial...

                            Message 13 of 27 , May 20, 2013
                              I am trying to get vintage systems online, but I also want the ability
                              to see the boot messages.

                              On Mon, 20 May 2013, Vince Fleming wrote:

                              > Ah - I thought you said you were trying to get a vintage system online. I guess I missed the part about monitoring the Pi over Serial...
                              >
                              > ________________________________

                              Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                            • Vince Fleming
                              Message 14 of 27 , May 20, 2013

                                I just plugged a monitor (well, actually my TV) into the HDMI port and watched it boot.   You can use a USB keyboard and mouse, too.

                                Of course, if you haven't got an HDMI monitor or TV...  that might be a problem.  :)

                                Message 15 of 27 , May 20, 2013
                                  On Mon, 20 May 2013, Vince Fleming wrote:

                                  > I just plugged a monitor (well, actually my TV) into the HDMI port and watched it boot.   You can use a USB keyboard and mouse, too.
                                  >

                                  > Of course, if you haven't got an HDMI monitor or TV...  that might be a problem.  :)

                                  Doesn't the Pi have component video, too?

                                  Message 16 of 27 , May 20, 2013

                                    Not component, which is RGB, but it does also have a standard analog RCA video output.  (the yellow color-coded one)   I don't know what resolution you can get with it.  The HDMI is full 1080.

                                    Message 17 of 27 , May 20, 2013
                                      You may have missed the original conversation about this project. I'm
                                      going for something which will allow me to connect vintage computers to
                                      wireless or wired networks. It should be small and flexible. One of
                                      these days I'm going to bring my Osborne Vixen to a staff meeting and use
                                      it to logon to the wireless network and access email, take notes, and
                                      browse the web (via lynx). I'm not going be lugging other monitors, TVs,
                                      keyboards or USB hubs with me. I might even hide it inside the Vixen.
                                      :-)

                                      I don't want this to degenerate into a discussion about the Pi, itself.
                                      I'm noting my progress here because others had expressed interest in the
                                      concept.

                                      Message 18 of 27 , May 20, 2013
                                        On May 20, 2013, at 14:34, Vince Fleming <vincef@...> wrote:

                                        Not component, which is RGB, but it does also have a standard analog RCA video output.  (the yellow color-coded one)   I don't know what resolution you can get with it.  The HDMI is full 1080.

                                        Not much (plug it into a TV and it looks like a VGA text console if you were blind as a bat with tunnel vision). Still, it works, but it also assumes you're using an OS that can print the console to the frame buffer; if you're writing your own, it's much quicker off the bat to use the UART.

                                        - Dave

                                      • Andrew
                                        Message 19 of 27 , May 20, 2013
                                          I did something similar with my SBC6120 PDP8 replica.

                                          In my case it was to connect to the SBC6120 over WIFI rather than have it call out to the world.

                                          It is based on a TP-Link WR-703N "3G Travel Router". These things are very low cost on eBay and can be flashed to run OpenWRT. They have build in WIFI and a USB port allowing connection of a USB/Serial adaptor (or several if you had a hub).

                                          I need to get around to a write up but some pictures here are:

                                          The first picture is the carrier board for the SBC CF adaptor but also showing the 703N, the USB/TTL Serial adaptor (small vertical board) and a MAX232 to handle level conversion from the SBC6120. I could have taken TTL serial directly from the SBC6120 but didn't want to change it from the stock configuration. Could also have got a USB/Serial adaptor with level conversion but I used what was in the parts bin.

                                          http://www.quicktrip.co.nz/jaqblog/images/BLOG_SBC6120_WIFI_1.jpg

                                          And another perspective.

                                          http://www.quicktrip.co.nz/jaqblog/images/BLOG_SBC6120_WIFI_2.jpg

                                          Mounted on the SBC6120

                                          http://www.quicktrip.co.nz/jaqblog/images/BLOG_SBC6120_WIFI_3.jpg

                                          And with all the cables in place

                                          http://www.quicktrip.co.nz/jaqblog/images/BLOG_SBC6120_WIFI_4.jpg

                                          Nothing really fancy here.... just OpenWRT running SER2NET which makes the SBC available to WIFI clients using TELNET to a specific port. I run the 703N as an access point so I am not tied to the home network if I want to take the machine out to demo.

                                          The 703N's are cheap enough that I will look at doing this for some of the other machines.... the 11/04 being the first candidate when I get it running.

                                          Enjoy following the threads here. I am based in New Zealand but my company headquarters is in Fairfield NJ. Next time I visit I will try and make an effort to come and visit the InfoAge Science Center.

                                          Regards

                                          Andrew

                                          Message 20 of 27 , May 21, 2013
                                            > Enjoy following the threads here. I am based in New Zealand but my company headquarters is in Fairfield NJ. Next time I visit I will try and make an effort to come and visit the InfoAge Science Center.
                                            >
                                            > Regards
                                            >
                                            > Andrew

                                            Welcome to the group. Email me whenever you'd like a museum tour.
                                          • s100doctor
                                            Message 21 of 27 , May 21, 2013

                                              > A few weeks ago, we were speculating on the possibility of using a
                                              > Raspberry Pi, a serial level shifter and a USB wireless dongle to get
                                              > vintage systems online. I'm happy to report that the proof of concept is
                                              > successful. I'm typing this on a stock TRS-80 Model 4P, running IMP 2.45
                                              > under Montezuma Micro CP/M. There are some problems to be worked out, as
                                              > I'm seeing some weird echo effects, despite the serial setting being
                                              > correct. I'll update the group as I continue testing. With this
                                              > configuration, it's also possible to connect via 100BaseT.

                                              I can barely "connect" to MARCH Yahoo email traffic! ;) But this subject is of interest to me. NOtes to little purpose:

                                              1) http://www.classiccmp.org/cpmarchives/cpm/Software/WalnutCD/beehive/comms/
                                              seems to have IMP software. MIke posted previously another link at

                                              http://www.retroarchive.org/cpm/cdrom/CPM/IMP/

                                              All code....no docs....situation normal.... Seems to be one of many flavors of communications programs in the 1970's CP/M and related worlds. Googling for "IMP" isn't terribly productive. I don't know if IMP supports any particular network protocols or stacks.

                                              2) I presume Mike Loewen will make up a Web page on his site, when he's stabilized his project. We can all look there for the details, hardware, code, when he presumably posts the link here. I find discussing technical details in a Yahoo group a kind of exercise in futility.

                                              These are hints of course, suggestions. Congrats to Mike.

                                              Herb Johnson
                                            • Mike Loewen
                                              Message 22 of 27 , May 22, 2013
                                                On Wed, 22 May 2013, s100doctor wrote:

                                                > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> wrote:
                                                >>

                                                >> A few weeks ago, we were speculating on the possibility of using a
                                                >> Raspberry Pi, a serial level shifter and a USB wireless dongle to get
                                                >> vintage systems online. I'm happy to report that the proof of concept is
                                                >> successful. I'm typing this on a stock TRS-80 Model 4P, running IMP 2.45
                                                >> under Montezuma Micro CP/M. There are some problems to be worked out, as
                                                >> I'm seeing some weird echo effects, despite the serial setting being
                                                >> correct. I'll update the group as I continue testing. With this
                                                >> configuration, it's also possible to connect via 100BaseT.
                                                >>

                                                > I can barely "connect" to MARCH Yahoo email traffic! ;) But this subject is of interest to me. NOtes to little purpose:
                                                >
                                                > 1) http://www.classiccmp.org/cpmarchives/cpm/Software/WalnutCD/beehive/comms/
                                                > seems to have IMP software. MIke posted previously another link at
                                                >
                                                > http://www.retroarchive.org/cpm/cdrom/CPM/IMP/
                                                >
                                                > All code....no docs....situation normal.... Seems to be one of many
                                                > flavors of communications programs in the 1970's CP/M and related
                                                > worlds. Googling for "IMP" isn't terribly productive. I don't know if
                                                > IMP supports any particular network protocols or stacks.

                                                Herb:

                                                IMP doesn't support any network procotols. I'm simply using the
                                                vintage computer as a terminal to login to a shell on the Pi. From there,
                                                I can SSH into other systems to do email, or use Lynx to do text-only web
                                                browsing. It's a bit of a cheat, since the Pi is enormously more powerful
                                                than the vintage computer, but I'm just looking for a quick, portable and
                                                flexible way to connect to the network.

                                                If you look in the IMP245.LBR library at the link I listed, you'll find
                                                the IMP distribution, including the docs.

                                                > 2) I presume Mike Loewen will make up a Web page on his site, when he's
                                                > stabilized his project. We can all look there for the details, hardware,
                                                > code, when he presumably posts the link here. I find discussing
                                                > technical details in a Yahoo group a kind of exercise in futility.

                                                Will do (eventually). :-)

                                                Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                                              • Dan Roganti
                                                Message 23 of 27 , May 22, 2013
                                                  On 5/22/2013 7:27 AM, Mike Loewen wrote:
                                                  > Herb:
                                                  > IMP doesn't support any network procotols. I'm simply using the
                                                  > vintage computer as a terminal to login to a shell on the Pi. From
                                                  > there, I can SSH into other systems to do email, or use Lynx to do
                                                  > text-only web browsing. It's a bit of a cheat, since the Pi is
                                                  > enormously more powerful than the vintage computer, but I'm just
                                                  > looking for a quick, portable and flexible way to connect to the
                                                  > network. If you look in the IMP245.LBR library at the link I listed,
                                                  > you'll find the IMP distribution, including the docs.

                                                  Mike,

                                                  From an earlier thread, I recall you mentioned something about a
                                                  requirement to have a secure protocol to make a connection at your
                                                  facility - I don't recall which ones you mentioned last time, but I
                                                  remember it was in that thread. Because we noticed the ordinary ethernet
                                                  converters which are sold for vintage computers at various places don't
                                                  normally support these additional protocols.

                                                  I think for typical users on vintage computers at home with a Lan, where
                                                  we have the standard ethernet controllers such as the basic CS9800 or
                                                  the latest from Wiznet, they do the job for many users. And they already
                                                  have the various internet clients written for some of them, email, irc,
                                                  telnet, www - with only ascii of course. And the network drivers are
                                                  also running on their computer alone. It would be nice to have support
                                                  for things such as ssh too.

                                                  But I still wonder if you can add these secure protocols to the network
                                                  drivers directly on our vintage computers. Would those secure protocols
                                                  be very compute intensive to cause a lag in the response that you can't
                                                  run on a Z80 ?

                                                  As for the WiFi option, I use a simple Lan to WiFi converter from
                                                  Trendnet for about $30. I'm diving into some network gaming for the C64,
                                                  using the drivers they have already, I know I don't need these
                                                  additional protocols. And I'm forecasting the work done here will be
                                                  portable to whichever vintage platform - to take advantage of the
                                                  multiplayer arena. Possibly even making it universal, so an Apple II can
                                                  connect with an Atari 800, and so forth, to widen the support for
                                                  multiplayer.

                                                  BTW, did you see the S-100 hardware crypto board on eb@y about a month
                                                  ago, the Data Star Encryptor ENC 100-1. I really wanted to get that.

                                                  Dan
                                                • Mike Loewen
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , May 22, 2013
                                                    On Wed, 22 May 2013, Dan Roganti wrote:

                                                    > On 5/22/2013 7:27 AM, Mike Loewen wrote:
                                                    >> Herb:
                                                    >> IMP doesn't support any network procotols. I'm simply using the
                                                    >> vintage computer as a terminal to login to a shell on the Pi. From
                                                    >> there, I can SSH into other systems to do email, or use Lynx to do
                                                    >> text-only web browsing. It's a bit of a cheat, since the Pi is
                                                    >> enormously more powerful than the vintage computer, but I'm just
                                                    >> looking for a quick, portable and flexible way to connect to the
                                                    >> network. If you look in the IMP245.LBR library at the link I listed,
                                                    >> you'll find the IMP distribution, including the docs.
                                                    >
                                                    > Mike,
                                                    >
                                                    > From an earlier thread, I recall you mentioned something about a
                                                    > requirement to have a secure protocol to make a connection at your
                                                    > facility - I don't recall which ones you mentioned last time, but I
                                                    > remember it was in that thread. Because we noticed the ordinary ethernet
                                                    > converters which are sold for vintage computers at various places don't
                                                    > normally support these additional protocols.

                                                    Right, I had some very specific requirements for this, including the
                                                    ability to do WPA2-Enterprise with TTLS and PAP connections (at work). I
                                                    looked at a lot of serial<->ethernet convertors, but didn't find anything
                                                    in the under $100 range that would do the job. For my breadboard solution
                                                    (Pi, Edimax EW-7811Un, MAX3232), I don't have to write any drivers or
                                                    clients.

                                                    > I think for typical users on vintage computers at home with a Lan, where
                                                    > we have the standard ethernet controllers such as the basic CS9800 or
                                                    > the latest from Wiznet, they do the job for many users. And they already
                                                    > have the various internet clients written for some of them, email, irc,
                                                    > telnet, www - with only ascii of course. And the network drivers are
                                                    > also running on their computer alone. It would be nice to have support
                                                    > for things such as ssh too.
                                                    >
                                                    > But I still wonder if you can add these secure protocols to the network
                                                    > drivers directly on our vintage computers. Would those secure protocols
                                                    > be very compute intensive to cause a lag in the response that you can't
                                                    > run on a Z80 ?

                                                    I would be pleasantly surprised if you could get a usable protocol
                                                    like SSH running on a Z80. For example, I installed a 3rd party product
                                                    on my VAX 4000/300 which supports SSHv2. It took in excess of 1 MINUTE
                                                    for the initial handshake, but was then not too painful for the subsequent
                                                    communication.

                                                    > As for the WiFi option, I use a simple Lan to WiFi converter from
                                                    > Trendnet for about $30. I'm diving into some network gaming for the C64,
                                                    > using the drivers they have already, I know I don't need these
                                                    > additional protocols. And I'm forecasting the work done here will be
                                                    > portable to whichever vintage platform - to take advantage of the
                                                    > multiplayer arena. Possibly even making it universal, so an Apple II can
                                                    > connect with an Atari 800, and so forth, to widen the support for
                                                    > multiplayer.

                                                    Which Trendnet adapter are you using?

                                                    > BTW, did you see the S-100 hardware crypto board on eb@y about a month
                                                    > ago, the Data Star Encryptor ENC 100-1. I really wanted to get that.

                                                    I did not.

                                                    Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                                                  • s100doctor
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , May 22, 2013

                                                      > Herb:
                                                      >
                                                      > IMP doesn't support any network procotols. I'm simply using the
                                                      > vintage computer as a terminal to login to a shell on the Pi. From there,
                                                      > I can SSH into other systems to do email, or use Lynx to do text-only web
                                                      > browsing. It's a bit of a cheat, since the Pi is enormously more powerful
                                                      > than the vintage computer, but I'm just looking for a quick, portable and
                                                      > flexible way to connect to the network.

                                                      Thanks for the explanation and reference to docs. Several years ago, before Linux embedded computers were available, and even before embedded processor "ethernet boards" were available, there was all kinds of chatter and efforts to "run CP/M on the Internet". I gathered up the usual suspects and wrote a Web page about the efforts:

                                                      http://www.retrotechnology.com/dri/cpm_tcpip.html

                                                      ..the open question being, could a CP/M-class computer "handle" a
                                                      TCP/IP "stack"? The answer was "yes, it DID", as part of packet radio in the radio amateur community. Other micros like C64's were used. Later, packet radio "modems" were built with Z80-class technology; then 8035-class microcontrollers. You can still buy TNC's cheap at hamfests, I have a few lying around somewhere.

                                                      But around 2009 when I wrote the note, the "ethernet on a chip" products appeared and those were put to use. Now, it appears, one can just buy "Linux on a chip" and it does it all.

                                                      I'm a little sad that the vintage computer is mostly used as a terminal for "internet" access. But, it works both ways, so in principle one can use the $35 Linux bug as an Internet server and provide Web-to-console-port access to, well, whatever vintage computer has a serial port. I suppose with more effort, the Rasp Pi could more robustly operate a vintage computer, micro or mini. Then Bill Degnan's boast would become a reality: "email sent from my PDP-8".

                                                      Oh, that I'll live long enough....

                                                      Herb Johnson
                                                      not yet PDPetering out
                                                    • Dan Roganti
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , May 23, 2013
                                                        On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 10:14 AM, Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> wrote:

                                                            Which Trendnet adapter are you using?

                                                        This one, there's several others too

                                                      • Bob Schwier
                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Jun 11, 2013

                                                          I did miss the original discussion.  Did you solve the issues and if so how?
                                                          bs