Re: [midatlanticretro] Decent terminal emulator program for CP/M?

    Message 1 of 8 , May 19, 2013
      MDM740 is a release of MODEM7. ;)

      I liked MEX at first (digging into very dusty neurons here) but found
      it to be a bit unstable so I went back to MODEM7 (specifically MDM740!).

      In my quest to explore something new, I happened upon MDM800, which
      was not (as one might assume) just a later release of MDM740, but it was
      a bit of a fork. I recall thinking that it was very good, but I no
      longer recall why; this was ~30 years ago.

      All very good software.

      There was also the MDM900 branch, MDM904 maybe? But I recall nothing
      about that, only that it existed and I did run it briefly. I think I
      stuck mainly with MDM800 when I found it and got it running.

      This was all on my S-100 CP/M system; a CCS Z80 board supported by a
      bunch of others...some TDL I/O boards, a Tarbell floppy controller, etc
      all in an IMSAI-8080 chassis. I still have that system, but the drives
      (Shugart SA-801s) and my big box of floppies were lost many years ago.
      (including my oft-consulted "GIRLS.DBF" database that I built under
      dBase-II to catalog all the hotties in my high school! ;))

      I've never heard of IMP, at least not that I recall now. Do you
      still have a copy, or can I find it "around" somewhere? I'd like to see
      what it's about.

      -Dave

      On 05/19/2013 03:45 PM, Mike Loewen wrote:

      > Alternatives are MEX, IMP and MDM740. All use ASM overlays to
      > customize for your system's serial port and video attributes. I believe I
      > settled on IMP as my primary telecomm utility in the CP/M days.
      >
      > On Sun, 19 May 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:
      >

      >> MODEM7 was the de-facto standard in the CP/M world. Works great.
      >>
      >> -Dave
      >>
      >> --
      >> Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      >> New Kensington, PA
      >>

      >> On May 19, 2013, at 9:08 AM, Richard Cini <rich.cini@...> wrote:
      >>

      >>> All --
      >>>
      >>> Can anyone recommend a terminal emulator program for CP/M? I've finally gotten around to doing a vintage machine BBS "test" and was looking for recommendations. Standard CP/M 2.2 with a CompuPro Interfacer 1 and a Hayes Smartmodem 300. I found a program in the CPMUG archive called "UK7" which has some promise but even something in MBASIC would be adequate.
      >>>
      >>> Thanks!
      >>>
      >>> Rich
      >>>
      >>> --
      >>> Rich Cini
      >>> Collector of Classic Computers
      >>> Build Master and lead engineer, Altair32 Emulator
      >>> http://www.classiccmp.org/cini
      >>> http://www.classiccmp.org/altair32
      >>>

      > Mike Loewen mloewen@...

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      New Kensington, PA
    • Richard Cini
      Message 2 of 8 , May 19, 2013
        Thanks guys. I think I have Modem 7 laying around also. From the read of the code, UK7 is a slight re-write/split from MDM736. IMP I haven't seen before.

        Ok, at least I'm on the right track here. Thanks!

        Rich

        From: Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...>
        Date: Sunday, May 19, 2013 3:54 PM
        To: "midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com" <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Decent terminal emulator program for CP/M?

        MDM740 is a release of MODEM7. ;)

        I liked MEX at first (digging into very dusty neurons here) but found
        it to be a bit unstable so I went back to MODEM7 (specifically MDM740!).

        In my quest to explore something new, I happened upon MDM800, which
        was not (as one might assume) just a later release of MDM740, but it was
        a bit of a fork. I recall thinking that it was very good, but I no
        longer recall why; this was ~30 years ago.

        All very good software.

        There was also the MDM900 branch, MDM904 maybe? But I recall nothing
        about that, only that it existed and I did run it briefly. I think I
        stuck mainly with MDM800 when I found it and got it running.

        This was all on my S-100 CP/M system; a CCS Z80 board supported by a
        bunch of others...some TDL I/O boards, a Tarbell floppy controller, etc
        all in an IMSAI-8080 chassis. I still have that system, but the drives
        (Shugart SA-801s) and my big box of floppies were lost many years ago.
        (including my oft-consulted "GIRLS.DBF" database that I built under
        dBase-II to catalog all the hotties in my high school! ;))

        I've never heard of IMP, at least not that I recall now. Do you
        still have a copy, or can I find it "around" somewhere? I'd like to see
        what it's about.

        -Dave

        On 05/19/2013 03:45 PM, Mike Loewen wrote:

        > Alternatives are MEX, IMP and MDM740. All use ASM overlays to
        > customize for your system's serial port and video attributes. I believe I
        > settled on IMP as my primary telecomm utility in the CP/M days.
        >
        > On Sun, 19 May 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:
        >

        >> MODEM7 was the de-facto standard in the CP/M world. Works great.
        >>
        >> -Dave
        >>
        >> --
        >> Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        >> New Kensington, PA
        >>

        >> On May 19, 2013, at 9:08 AM, Richard Cini <rich.cini@...> wrote:
        >>

        >>> All --
        >>>
        >>> Can anyone recommend a terminal emulator program for CP/M? I've finally gotten around to doing a vintage machine BBS "test" and was looking for recommendations. Standard CP/M 2.2 with a CompuPro Interfacer 1 and a Hayes Smartmodem 300. I found a program in the CPMUG archive called "UK7" which has some promise but even something in MBASIC would be adequate.
        >>>
        >>> Thanks!
        >>>
        >>> Rich
        >>>
        >>> --
        >>> Rich Cini
        >>> Collector of Classic Computers
        >>> Build Master and lead engineer, Altair32 Emulator
        >>> http://www.classiccmp.org/cini
        >>> http://www.classiccmp.org/altair32
        >>>

        > Mike Loewen mloewen@...

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        New Kensington, PA

      • Mike Loewen
        Message 3 of 8 , May 19, 2013
          On Sun, 19 May 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:

          > MDM740 is a release of MODEM7. ;)
          >
          > I liked MEX at first (digging into very dusty neurons here) but found
          > it to be a bit unstable so I went back to MODEM7 (specifically MDM740!).

          > I've never heard of IMP, at least not that I recall now. Do you
          > still have a copy, or can I find it "around" somewhere? I'd like to see
          > what it's about.

          http://www.retroarchive.org/cpm/cdrom/CPM/IMP/

          There are a LOT of predefined overlays for it.

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
          Message 4 of 8 , May 19, 2013
            On 05/19/2013 04:20 PM, Mike Loewen wrote:
            >> MDM740 is a release of MODEM7. ;)
            >>
            >> I liked MEX at first (digging into very dusty neurons here) but found
            >> it to be a bit unstable so I went back to MODEM7 (specifically MDM740!).

            >> I've never heard of IMP, at least not that I recall now. Do you
            >> still have a copy, or can I find it "around" somewhere? I'd like to see
            >> what it's about.
            >
            > http://www.retroarchive.org/cpm/cdrom/CPM/IMP/
            >
            > There are a LOT of predefined overlays for it.

            Nice! I think I will try it out with a Kaypro. Thanks!

            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
            New Kensington, PA
          • Mike Loewen
            Message 5 of 8 , May 19, 2013
              On Sun, 19 May 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:

              >>> I liked MEX at first (digging into very dusty neurons here) but found
              >>> it to be a bit unstable so I went back to MODEM7 (specifically MDM740!).

              >>> I've never heard of IMP, at least not that I recall now. Do you
              >>> still have a copy, or can I find it "around" somewhere? I'd like to see
              >>> what it's about.
              >>
              >> http://www.retroarchive.org/cpm/cdrom/CPM/IMP/
              >>
              >> There are a LOT of predefined overlays for it.
              >
              > Nice! I think I will try it out with a Kaypro. Thanks!

              I did a bit of testing both IMP 2.45 and MEX 1.14 on a TRS-80 4P with
              Montezuma Micro CP/M, and found that IMP worked much better (which was
              probably why it was on my working disks from back in the day). MEX has an
              interrupt-driven overlay available which is supposed to prevent dropped
              characters during screen operations, but it didn't work nearly as well as
              IMP at 9600. IMP does lose some characters while scrolling, but an Xmodem
              transfer worked just fine.

              Mike Loewen mloewen@...