Re: [midatlanticretro] Decent terminal emulator program for CP/M?

    Message 1 of 8 , May 19, 2013

        MODEM7 was the de-facto standard in the CP/M world.  Works great.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      New Kensington, PA

      On May 19, 2013, at 9:08 AM, Richard Cini <rich.cini@...> wrote:

      All --

      Can anyone recommend a terminal emulator program for CP/M? I've finally gotten around to doing a vintage machine BBS "test" and was looking for recommendations. Standard CP/M 2.2 with a CompuPro Interfacer 1 and a Hayes Smartmodem 300. I found a program in the CPMUG archive called "UK7" which has some promise but even something in MBASIC would be adequate.

      Thanks!

      Rich

      --
      Rich Cini
      Collector of Classic Computers

    • Mike Loewen
      Message 2 of 8 , May 19, 2013
        Alternatives are MEX, IMP and MDM740. All use ASM overlays to
        customize for your system's serial port and video attributes. I believe I
        settled on IMP as my primary telecomm utility in the CP/M days.

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        Message 3 of 8 , May 19, 2013
          MDM740 is a release of MODEM7. ;)

          I liked MEX at first (digging into very dusty neurons here) but found
          it to be a bit unstable so I went back to MODEM7 (specifically MDM740!).

          In my quest to explore something new, I happened upon MDM800, which
          was not (as one might assume) just a later release of MDM740, but it was
          a bit of a fork. I recall thinking that it was very good, but I no
          longer recall why; this was ~30 years ago.

          All very good software.

          There was also the MDM900 branch, MDM904 maybe? But I recall nothing
          about that, only that it existed and I did run it briefly. I think I
          stuck mainly with MDM800 when I found it and got it running.

          This was all on my S-100 CP/M system; a CCS Z80 board supported by a
          bunch of others...some TDL I/O boards, a Tarbell floppy controller, etc
          all in an IMSAI-8080 chassis. I still have that system, but the drives
          (Shugart SA-801s) and my big box of floppies were lost many years ago.
          (including my oft-consulted "GIRLS.DBF" database that I built under
          dBase-II to catalog all the hotties in my high school! ;))

          I've never heard of IMP, at least not that I recall now. Do you
          still have a copy, or can I find it "around" somewhere? I'd like to see
          what it's about.

          -Dave

          On 05/19/2013 03:45 PM, Mike Loewen wrote:

          > Alternatives are MEX, IMP and MDM740. All use ASM overlays to
          > customize for your system's serial port and video attributes. I believe I
          > settled on IMP as my primary telecomm utility in the CP/M days.
          >
          > On Sun, 19 May 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:
          >

          >> MODEM7 was the de-facto standard in the CP/M world. Works great.
          >>
          >> -Dave
          >>
          >> --
          >> Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
          >> New Kensington, PA
          >>

          >> On May 19, 2013, at 9:08 AM, Richard Cini <rich.cini@...> wrote:
          >>

          >>> All --
          >>>
          >>> Can anyone recommend a terminal emulator program for CP/M? I've finally gotten around to doing a vintage machine BBS "test" and was looking for recommendations. Standard CP/M 2.2 with a CompuPro Interfacer 1 and a Hayes Smartmodem 300. I found a program in the CPMUG archive called "UK7" which has some promise but even something in MBASIC would be adequate.
          >>>
          >>> Thanks!
          >>>
          >>> Rich
          >>>
          >>> --
          >>> Rich Cini
          >>> Collector of Classic Computers
          >>> Build Master and lead engineer, Altair32 Emulator
          >>> http://www.classiccmp.org/cini
          >>> http://www.classiccmp.org/altair32
          >>>

          > Mike Loewen mloewen@...

          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
          New Kensington, PA
        • Richard Cini
          Message 4 of 8 , May 19, 2013
            Thanks guys. I think I have Modem 7 laying around also. From the read of the code, UK7 is a slight re-write/split from MDM736. IMP I haven't seen before.

            Ok, at least I'm on the right track here. Thanks!

            Rich

            From: Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...>
            Date: Sunday, May 19, 2013 3:54 PM
            To: "midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com" <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
            Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Decent terminal emulator program for CP/M?

            MDM740 is a release of MODEM7. ;)

            I liked MEX at first (digging into very dusty neurons here) but found
            it to be a bit unstable so I went back to MODEM7 (specifically MDM740!).

            In my quest to explore something new, I happened upon MDM800, which
            was not (as one might assume) just a later release of MDM740, but it was
            a bit of a fork. I recall thinking that it was very good, but I no
            longer recall why; this was ~30 years ago.

            All very good software.

            There was also the MDM900 branch, MDM904 maybe? But I recall nothing
            about that, only that it existed and I did run it briefly. I think I
            stuck mainly with MDM800 when I found it and got it running.

            This was all on my S-100 CP/M system; a CCS Z80 board supported by a
            bunch of others...some TDL I/O boards, a Tarbell floppy controller, etc
            all in an IMSAI-8080 chassis. I still have that system, but the drives
            (Shugart SA-801s) and my big box of floppies were lost many years ago.
            (including my oft-consulted "GIRLS.DBF" database that I built under
            dBase-II to catalog all the hotties in my high school! ;))

            I've never heard of IMP, at least not that I recall now. Do you
            still have a copy, or can I find it "around" somewhere? I'd like to see
            what it's about.

            -Dave

            On 05/19/2013 03:45 PM, Mike Loewen wrote:

            > Alternatives are MEX, IMP and MDM740. All use ASM overlays to
            > customize for your system's serial port and video attributes. I believe I
            > settled on IMP as my primary telecomm utility in the CP/M days.
            >
            > On Sun, 19 May 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:
            >

            >> MODEM7 was the de-facto standard in the CP/M world. Works great.
            >>
            >> -Dave
            >>
            >> --
            >> Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
            >> New Kensington, PA
            >>

            >> On May 19, 2013, at 9:08 AM, Richard Cini <rich.cini@...> wrote:
            >>

            >>> All --
            >>>
            >>> Can anyone recommend a terminal emulator program for CP/M? I've finally gotten around to doing a vintage machine BBS "test" and was looking for recommendations. Standard CP/M 2.2 with a CompuPro Interfacer 1 and a Hayes Smartmodem 300. I found a program in the CPMUG archive called "UK7" which has some promise but even something in MBASIC would be adequate.
            >>>
            >>> Thanks!
            >>>
            >>> Rich
            >>>
            >>> --
            >>> Rich Cini
            >>> Collector of Classic Computers
            >>> Build Master and lead engineer, Altair32 Emulator
            >>> http://www.classiccmp.org/cini
            >>> http://www.classiccmp.org/altair32
            >>>

            > Mike Loewen mloewen@...

            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
            New Kensington, PA

          • Mike Loewen
            Message 5 of 8 , May 19, 2013
              On Sun, 19 May 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:

              > MDM740 is a release of MODEM7. ;)
              >
              > I liked MEX at first (digging into very dusty neurons here) but found
              > it to be a bit unstable so I went back to MODEM7 (specifically MDM740!).

              > I've never heard of IMP, at least not that I recall now. Do you
              > still have a copy, or can I find it "around" somewhere? I'd like to see
              > what it's about.

              http://www.retroarchive.org/cpm/cdrom/CPM/IMP/

              There are a LOT of predefined overlays for it.

              Mike Loewen mloewen@...
              Message 6 of 8 , May 19, 2013
                On 05/19/2013 04:20 PM, Mike Loewen wrote:
                >> MDM740 is a release of MODEM7. ;)
                >>
                >> I liked MEX at first (digging into very dusty neurons here) but found
                >> it to be a bit unstable so I went back to MODEM7 (specifically MDM740!).

                >> I've never heard of IMP, at least not that I recall now. Do you
                >> still have a copy, or can I find it "around" somewhere? I'd like to see
                >> what it's about.
                >
                > http://www.retroarchive.org/cpm/cdrom/CPM/IMP/
                >
                > There are a LOT of predefined overlays for it.

                Nice! I think I will try it out with a Kaypro. Thanks!

                Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                New Kensington, PA
              • Mike Loewen
                Message 7 of 8 , May 19, 2013
                  On Sun, 19 May 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:

                  >>> I liked MEX at first (digging into very dusty neurons here) but found
                  >>> it to be a bit unstable so I went back to MODEM7 (specifically MDM740!).

                  >>> I've never heard of IMP, at least not that I recall now. Do you
                  >>> still have a copy, or can I find it "around" somewhere? I'd like to see
                  >>> what it's about.
                  >>
                  >> http://www.retroarchive.org/cpm/cdrom/CPM/IMP/
                  >>
                  >> There are a LOT of predefined overlays for it.
                  >
                  > Nice! I think I will try it out with a Kaypro. Thanks!

                  I did a bit of testing both IMP 2.45 and MEX 1.14 on a TRS-80 4P with
                  Montezuma Micro CP/M, and found that IMP worked much better (which was
                  probably why it was on my working disks from back in the day). MEX has an
                  interrupt-driven overlay available which is supposed to prevent dropped
                  characters during screen operations, but it didn't work nearly as well as
                  IMP at 9600. IMP does lose some characters while scrolling, but an Xmodem
                  transfer worked just fine.

                  Mike Loewen mloewen@...