Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Anyone have a Network Hub we could borrow for the weekend ?

    Message 1 of 14 , May 18, 2013
      On 05/18/2013 07:20 AM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
      >> Na "F" connectors are modern things for Satellite TV. Thick Ethernet
      >> connectors are "N" types.
      >> http://tech.mattmillman.com/10base5/
      >> It also runs serious power levels. which is why you need those big
      >> finned terminators, Is it 5 10 or 15 watts searching doesn't show up any
      >> info ?
      >
      > On Etherpipe? I've never seen any "finned" terminators and I'd installed
      > miles of 10b5.

      Me neither. I have a number of 10base5 terminators here (they've found
      re-use in non-computer-related RF work) and they're all just thumb-sized N
      connectors with low-inductance resistors embedded in epoxy.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      New Kensington, PA
    • Dave
      Message 2 of 14 , May 18, 2013
        On 18/05/2013 17:51, Dave McGuire wrote:
        > On 05/18/2013 07:20 AM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
        >>> Na "F" connectors are modern things for Satellite TV. Thick Ethernet
        >>> connectors are "N" types.
        >>> http://tech.mattmillman.com/10base5/
        >>> It also runs serious power levels. which is why you need those big
        >>> finned terminators, Is it 5 10 or 15 watts searching doesn't show up any
        >>> info ?
        >> On Etherpipe? I've never seen any "finned" terminators and I'd installed
        >> miles of 10b5.
        > Me neither. I have a number of 10base5 terminators here (they've found
        > re-use in non-computer-related RF work) and they're all just thumb-sized N
        > connectors with low-inductance resistors embedded in epoxy.
        >
        > -Dave

        Must be dreaming, and I don't have any thick Ethernet any more. One
        thing I do notice on the searching for images is that some terminators
        had a grounding lug...

        Dave
      • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
        Message 3 of 14 , May 18, 2013
          Dave <dave.g4ugm@...> writes:

          >>> On Etherpipe? I've never seen any "finned" terminators and I'd installed
          >>> miles of 10b5.
          >> Me neither. I have a number of 10base5 terminators here (they've found
          >> re-use in non-computer-related RF work) and they're all just thumb-sized N
          >> connectors with low-inductance resistors embedded in epoxy.
          >>
          >> -Dave
          >>
          >Must be dreaming, and I don't have any thick Ethernet any more. One
          >thing I do notice on the searching for images is that some terminators
          >had a grounding lug...
          >
          >Dave

          The original Ethernet DIX Blue Book spec. detailed that the shield of the
          pipe should be earth grounded. It was not for transmission line reasons
          but for safety reasons should something short in any device connected to
          the pipe.

          I have a copy of the DIX spec. if you don't have one and could make a copy
          for you if you're interested.