Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Acquired a PDP-8/E

  • Kyle Owen
    Message 1 of 91 , May 18, 2013

      On May 18, 2013 7:38 AM, "Stephen L" <steve@...> wrote:

      > Hi Kyle,
      >
      > The PDP8/e looks quite nice. I've recently restored a PDP8/m, which is very similar, but with half as many slots. Mine also had a key problem. Those barrel keys are a pain. I live in Roswell, GA; not too far from you. (Meant to say hello at VCFSE.) I found a locksmith shop in Sandy Springs, which is good with barrel keys and locks.
      >
      > Let me know, if there is anything I can do to help.
      >
      > Steve L.
      > http://www.tronola.com/

      Hi Steve!

      We should have a get together at one of the AHCS meetings and play with some PDP-8s, then! I'll see what a locksmith can do for me soon. Glad to hear you've had some success in that regard. What have you managed to do with your PDP?

      Kyle

      Message 91 of 91 , Jun 6, 2013
        On 06/06/2013 12:54 PM, Kyle Owen wrote:
        > That looks like a nice product, but yes, it's certainly expensive. I've got
        > some FPGA background myself, along with several different microcontrollers,
        > so I may see about creating something that will work with my high-speed paper
        > tape interface. That could be considered an OS/8 storage device, yes?

        OS/8 needs a random-access storage device; paper tape won't do it.
        Magnetic tape drives are *physically* sequential-access, of course, but the
        TU56 (for example) is logically a random-access, block-oriented device. (with
        highly variable latency ;))

        > I would
        > have no idea how to go about writing a driver for it yet, but perhaps it'd be
        > in my best interest to start reading up on the commands for the card and then
        > learn more about OS/8. Do you have any suggestions on recommended reading for
        > this?

        If this was a generally-directed question...The book you want for "most
        things OS/8" is the "OS/8 Handbook". It is excellent. Try to find a paper
        copy if you can, but it's available in PDF on bitsavers:

        http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/dec/pdp8/os8/OS8_Handbook_Apr1974.pdf

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ