Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Anyone have a Network Hub we could borrow for the weekend ?

  • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
    Message 1 of 14 , May 18, 2013
      Dave <dave.g4ugm@...> writes:

      >Na "F" connectors are modern things for Satellite TV. Thick Ethernet
      >connectors are "N" types.
      >http://tech.mattmillman.com/10base5/
      >It also runs serious power levels. which is why you need those big
      >finned terminators, Is it 5 10 or 15 watts searching doesn't show up any
      >info ?

      On Etherpipe? I've never seen any "finned" terminators and I'd installed
      miles of 10b5.

      Message 2 of 14 , May 18, 2013
        On 05/18/2013 07:20 AM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
        >> Na "F" connectors are modern things for Satellite TV. Thick Ethernet
        >> connectors are "N" types.
        >> http://tech.mattmillman.com/10base5/
        >> It also runs serious power levels. which is why you need those big
        >> finned terminators, Is it 5 10 or 15 watts searching doesn't show up any
        >> info ?
        >
        > On Etherpipe? I've never seen any "finned" terminators and I'd installed
        > miles of 10b5.

        Me neither. I have a number of 10base5 terminators here (they've found
        re-use in non-computer-related RF work) and they're all just thumb-sized N
        connectors with low-inductance resistors embedded in epoxy.

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        New Kensington, PA
      • Dave
        Message 3 of 14 , May 18, 2013
          On 18/05/2013 17:51, Dave McGuire wrote:
          > On 05/18/2013 07:20 AM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
          >>> Na "F" connectors are modern things for Satellite TV. Thick Ethernet
          >>> connectors are "N" types.
          >>> http://tech.mattmillman.com/10base5/
          >>> It also runs serious power levels. which is why you need those big
          >>> finned terminators, Is it 5 10 or 15 watts searching doesn't show up any
          >>> info ?
          >> On Etherpipe? I've never seen any "finned" terminators and I'd installed
          >> miles of 10b5.
          > Me neither. I have a number of 10base5 terminators here (they've found
          > re-use in non-computer-related RF work) and they're all just thumb-sized N
          > connectors with low-inductance resistors embedded in epoxy.
          >
          > -Dave

          Must be dreaming, and I don't have any thick Ethernet any more. One
          thing I do notice on the searching for images is that some terminators
          had a grounding lug...

          Dave
        • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
          Message 4 of 14 , May 18, 2013
            Dave <dave.g4ugm@...> writes:

            >>> On Etherpipe? I've never seen any "finned" terminators and I'd installed
            >>> miles of 10b5.
            >> Me neither. I have a number of 10base5 terminators here (they've found
            >> re-use in non-computer-related RF work) and they're all just thumb-sized N
            >> connectors with low-inductance resistors embedded in epoxy.
            >>
            >> -Dave
            >>
            >Must be dreaming, and I don't have any thick Ethernet any more. One
            >thing I do notice on the searching for images is that some terminators
            >had a grounding lug...
            >
            >Dave

            The original Ethernet DIX Blue Book spec. detailed that the shield of the
            pipe should be earth grounded. It was not for transmission line reasons
            but for safety reasons should something short in any device connected to
            the pipe.

            I have a copy of the DIX spec. if you don't have one and could make a copy
            for you if you're interested.