Re: Anyone have a Network Hub we could borrow for the weekend ?

  • Jeff Jonas
    Message 1 of 14 , May 18, 2013
      > I think the event should have Thicknet proper instead. ;)

      Drat! I gave away my vampire tap tool
      (I vant to suck your bits!)

      Unless you insist on doing it "kosher" and cut the cable
      for every tap, installing the "F" connectors (I think).

      Or just use an AUI hub if things are close enough together.
    • Dave
      Message 2 of 14 , May 18, 2013
        On 18/05/2013 08:46, Jeff Jonas wrote:
        >> I think the event should have Thicknet proper instead. ;)
        > Drat! I gave away my vampire tap tool
        > (I vant to suck your bits!)
        >
        > Unless you insist on doing it "kosher" and cut the cable
        > for every tap, installing the "F" connectors (I think).

        Na "F" connectors are modern things for Satellite TV. Thick Ethernet
        connectors are "N" types.
        http://tech.mattmillman.com/10base5/
        It also runs serious power levels. which is why you need those big
        finned terminators, Is it 5 10 or 15 watts searching doesn't show up any
        info ?

        > Or just use an AUI hub if things are close enough together.

      • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
        Message 3 of 14 , May 18, 2013
          "Jeff Jonas" <jeff_s_jonas@...> writes:

          >--o1TbBQi34fJns62lkLauUhJRa63v4vLZ8gE87ov
          >
          >> I think the event should have Thicknet proper instead. ;)
          >
          >Drat! I gave away my vampire tap tool
          >(I vant to suck your bits!)
          >
          >Unless you insist on doing it "kosher" and cut the cable
          >for every tap, installing the "F" connectors (I think).

          Yuck!

          I have the tool, spare bits and several H4000s and H4005 transceivers. I
          had this earmarked for VCF this year but, since VCF became a Sandy victim,
          I'll just keep it shelved for next VCF.

          >Or just use an AUI hub if things are close enough together.

          I had a DEMPR around here somewhere... hmm.

          If a hub is still needed, I'm close enough that I could bring you one for
          the weekend. Hub or switch 10b or 100b. I do plan on dropping in briefly
          on Sunday to say "Hi" and drop off somethign to complement the PDP-8. ;)

        • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
          Message 4 of 14 , May 18, 2013
            Dave <dave.g4ugm@...> writes:

            >Na "F" connectors are modern things for Satellite TV. Thick Ethernet
            >connectors are "N" types.
            >http://tech.mattmillman.com/10base5/
            >It also runs serious power levels. which is why you need those big
            >finned terminators, Is it 5 10 or 15 watts searching doesn't show up any
            >info ?

            On Etherpipe? I've never seen any "finned" terminators and I'd installed
            miles of 10b5.

            Message 5 of 14 , May 18, 2013
              On 05/18/2013 07:20 AM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
              >> Na "F" connectors are modern things for Satellite TV. Thick Ethernet
              >> connectors are "N" types.
              >> http://tech.mattmillman.com/10base5/
              >> It also runs serious power levels. which is why you need those big
              >> finned terminators, Is it 5 10 or 15 watts searching doesn't show up any
              >> info ?
              >
              > On Etherpipe? I've never seen any "finned" terminators and I'd installed
              > miles of 10b5.

              Me neither. I have a number of 10base5 terminators here (they've found
              re-use in non-computer-related RF work) and they're all just thumb-sized N
              connectors with low-inductance resistors embedded in epoxy.

              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
              New Kensington, PA
            • Dave
              Message 6 of 14 , May 18, 2013
                On 18/05/2013 17:51, Dave McGuire wrote:
                > On 05/18/2013 07:20 AM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
                >>> Na "F" connectors are modern things for Satellite TV. Thick Ethernet
                >>> connectors are "N" types.
                >>> http://tech.mattmillman.com/10base5/
                >>> It also runs serious power levels. which is why you need those big
                >>> finned terminators, Is it 5 10 or 15 watts searching doesn't show up any
                >>> info ?
                >> On Etherpipe? I've never seen any "finned" terminators and I'd installed
                >> miles of 10b5.
                > Me neither. I have a number of 10base5 terminators here (they've found
                > re-use in non-computer-related RF work) and they're all just thumb-sized N
                > connectors with low-inductance resistors embedded in epoxy.
                >
                > -Dave

                Must be dreaming, and I don't have any thick Ethernet any more. One
                thing I do notice on the searching for images is that some terminators
                had a grounding lug...

                Dave
              • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                Message 7 of 14 , May 18, 2013
                  Dave <dave.g4ugm@...> writes:

                  >>> On Etherpipe? I've never seen any "finned" terminators and I'd installed
                  >>> miles of 10b5.
                  >> Me neither. I have a number of 10base5 terminators here (they've found
                  >> re-use in non-computer-related RF work) and they're all just thumb-sized N
                  >> connectors with low-inductance resistors embedded in epoxy.
                  >>
                  >> -Dave
                  >>
                  >Must be dreaming, and I don't have any thick Ethernet any more. One
                  >thing I do notice on the searching for images is that some terminators
                  >had a grounding lug...
                  >
                  >Dave

                  The original Ethernet DIX Blue Book spec. detailed that the shield of the
                  pipe should be earth grounded. It was not for transmission line reasons
                  but for safety reasons should something short in any device connected to
                  the pipe.

                  I have a copy of the DIX spec. if you don't have one and could make a copy
                  for you if you're interested.