Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Anyone have a Network Hub we could borrow for the weekend ?

  • Cory Smelosky
    Message 1 of 14 , May 17, 2013
      On Fri, 17 May 2013, jack99rubin wrote:

      >> I think I do. If not, then InfoAge certainly does.
      >>

      > I know you love the pain of vintage, but I expect you could find a 10+ year old switch without too much trouble. You'll be much happier.

      I think the event should have Thicknet proper instead. ;)

      > Snarky in the Midwest,
      > Jack, who wishes he could be there

      Cory Smelosky
      http://gewt.net/ Personal stuff
      http://gimme-sympathy.org Experiments
    • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
      Message 2 of 14 , May 17, 2013
        "Cory Smelosky" <b4@...> writes:

        >I think the event should have Thicknet proper instead. ;)

        I have 100meters of it! :)

      • Martin A Flynn
        Message 3 of 14 , May 17, 2013
          > Cory Smelosky" <b4@...> writes:
          > I think the event should have Thicknet proper instead. ;)
          OMARC has a coil of it in blue, along with the "N" connectors.
        • Jeff Jonas
          Message 4 of 14 , May 18, 2013
            > I think the event should have Thicknet proper instead. ;)

            Drat! I gave away my vampire tap tool
            (I vant to suck your bits!)

            Unless you insist on doing it "kosher" and cut the cable
            for every tap, installing the "F" connectors (I think).

            Or just use an AUI hub if things are close enough together.
          • Dave
            Message 5 of 14 , May 18, 2013
              On 18/05/2013 08:46, Jeff Jonas wrote:
              >> I think the event should have Thicknet proper instead. ;)
              > Drat! I gave away my vampire tap tool
              > (I vant to suck your bits!)
              >
              > Unless you insist on doing it "kosher" and cut the cable
              > for every tap, installing the "F" connectors (I think).

              Na "F" connectors are modern things for Satellite TV. Thick Ethernet
              connectors are "N" types.
              http://tech.mattmillman.com/10base5/
              It also runs serious power levels. which is why you need those big
              finned terminators, Is it 5 10 or 15 watts searching doesn't show up any
              info ?

              Message 6 of 14 , May 18, 2013
                "Jeff Jonas" <jeff_s_jonas@...> writes:

                >--o1TbBQi34fJns62lkLauUhJRa63v4vLZ8gE87ov
                >
                >> I think the event should have Thicknet proper instead. ;)
                >
                >Drat! I gave away my vampire tap tool
                >(I vant to suck your bits!)
                >
                >Unless you insist on doing it "kosher" and cut the cable
                >for every tap, installing the "F" connectors (I think).

                Yuck!

                I have the tool, spare bits and several H4000s and H4005 transceivers. I
                had this earmarked for VCF this year but, since VCF became a Sandy victim,
                I'll just keep it shelved for next VCF.

                >Or just use an AUI hub if things are close enough together.

                I had a DEMPR around here somewhere... hmm.

                If a hub is still needed, I'm close enough that I could bring you one for
                the weekend. Hub or switch 10b or 100b. I do plan on dropping in briefly
                on Sunday to say "Hi" and drop off somethign to complement the PDP-8. ;)

              • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                Message 7 of 14 , May 18, 2013
                  Dave <dave.g4ugm@...> writes:

                  >Na "F" connectors are modern things for Satellite TV. Thick Ethernet
                  >connectors are "N" types.
                  >http://tech.mattmillman.com/10base5/
                  >It also runs serious power levels. which is why you need those big
                  >finned terminators, Is it 5 10 or 15 watts searching doesn't show up any
                  >info ?

                  On Etherpipe? I've never seen any "finned" terminators and I'd installed
                  miles of 10b5.

                  Message 8 of 14 , May 18, 2013
                    On 05/18/2013 07:20 AM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
                    >> Na "F" connectors are modern things for Satellite TV. Thick Ethernet
                    >> connectors are "N" types.
                    >> http://tech.mattmillman.com/10base5/
                    >> It also runs serious power levels. which is why you need those big
                    >> finned terminators, Is it 5 10 or 15 watts searching doesn't show up any
                    >> info ?
                    >
                    > On Etherpipe? I've never seen any "finned" terminators and I'd installed
                    > miles of 10b5.

                    Me neither. I have a number of 10base5 terminators here (they've found
                    re-use in non-computer-related RF work) and they're all just thumb-sized N
                    connectors with low-inductance resistors embedded in epoxy.

                    Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                    New Kensington, PA
                  • Dave
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 18, 2013
                      On 18/05/2013 17:51, Dave McGuire wrote:
                      > On 05/18/2013 07:20 AM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
                      >>> Na "F" connectors are modern things for Satellite TV. Thick Ethernet
                      >>> connectors are "N" types.
                      >>> http://tech.mattmillman.com/10base5/
                      >>> It also runs serious power levels. which is why you need those big
                      >>> finned terminators, Is it 5 10 or 15 watts searching doesn't show up any
                      >>> info ?
                      >> On Etherpipe? I've never seen any "finned" terminators and I'd installed
                      >> miles of 10b5.
                      > Me neither. I have a number of 10base5 terminators here (they've found
                      > re-use in non-computer-related RF work) and they're all just thumb-sized N
                      > connectors with low-inductance resistors embedded in epoxy.
                      >
                      > -Dave

                      Must be dreaming, and I don't have any thick Ethernet any more. One
                      thing I do notice on the searching for images is that some terminators
                      had a grounding lug...

                      Dave
                    • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 18, 2013
                        Dave <dave.g4ugm@...> writes:

                        >>> On Etherpipe? I've never seen any "finned" terminators and I'd installed
                        >>> miles of 10b5.
                        >> Me neither. I have a number of 10base5 terminators here (they've found
                        >> re-use in non-computer-related RF work) and they're all just thumb-sized N
                        >> connectors with low-inductance resistors embedded in epoxy.
                        >>
                        >> -Dave
                        >>
                        >Must be dreaming, and I don't have any thick Ethernet any more. One
                        >thing I do notice on the searching for images is that some terminators
                        >had a grounding lug...
                        >
                        >Dave

                        The original Ethernet DIX Blue Book spec. detailed that the shield of the
                        pipe should be earth grounded. It was not for transmission line reasons
                        but for safety reasons should something short in any device connected to
                        the pipe.

                        I have a copy of the DIX spec. if you don't have one and could make a copy
                        for you if you're interested.