Anyone have a Network Hub we could borrow for the weekend ?

  • Dan Roganti
    Message 1 of 14 , May 17, 2013

      Anyone have a Network Hub we could borrow for the weekend ?
      We're hacking a network game to get more than two C64s running together.
      We have 3 machines ready to plug in, maybe a 4th, once we get the code ready.

      Dan

       _  ____
      / \__/
      Scotty, We Need More Power !!
      \_/ _\__ Aye, Cap'n, but we've only got 80 col's !
    • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
      Message 2 of 14 , May 17, 2013
        Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> writes:

        >--047d7b677954d50acd04dce9784e
        >
        >Anyone have a Network Hub we could borrow for the weekend ?
        >We're hacking a network game to get more than two C64s running together.
        >We have 3 machines ready to plug in, maybe a 4th, once we get the code
        >ready.

        10b2? 10bT? 100bT?

        Message 3 of 14 , May 17, 2013
          >> Anyone have a Network Hub we could borrow for the weekend?

          I think I do. If not, then InfoAge certainly does.
        • jack99rubin
          Message 4 of 14 , May 17, 2013

            > >> Anyone have a Network Hub we could borrow for the weekend?
            >
            > I think I do. If not, then InfoAge certainly does.

            I know you love the pain of vintage, but I expect you could find a 10+ year old switch without too much trouble. You'll be much happier.

            Snarky in the Midwest,
            Jack, who wishes he could be there
          • Cory Smelosky
            Message 5 of 14 , May 17, 2013
              On Fri, 17 May 2013, jack99rubin wrote:

              >> I think I do. If not, then InfoAge certainly does.
              >>

              > I know you love the pain of vintage, but I expect you could find a 10+ year old switch without too much trouble. You'll be much happier.

              I think the event should have Thicknet proper instead. ;)

              > Snarky in the Midwest,
              > Jack, who wishes he could be there

              Cory Smelosky
              http://gewt.net/ Personal stuff
              http://gimme-sympathy.org Experiments
            • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
              Message 6 of 14 , May 17, 2013
                "Cory Smelosky" <b4@...> writes:

                >I think the event should have Thicknet proper instead. ;)

                I have 100meters of it! :)

              • Martin A Flynn
                Message 7 of 14 , May 17, 2013
                  > Cory Smelosky" <b4@...> writes:
                  > I think the event should have Thicknet proper instead. ;)
                  OMARC has a coil of it in blue, along with the "N" connectors.
                • Jeff Jonas
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 18, 2013
                    > I think the event should have Thicknet proper instead. ;)

                    Drat! I gave away my vampire tap tool
                    (I vant to suck your bits!)

                    Unless you insist on doing it "kosher" and cut the cable
                    for every tap, installing the "F" connectors (I think).

                    Or just use an AUI hub if things are close enough together.
                  • Dave
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 18, 2013
                      On 18/05/2013 08:46, Jeff Jonas wrote:
                      >> I think the event should have Thicknet proper instead. ;)
                      > Drat! I gave away my vampire tap tool
                      > (I vant to suck your bits!)
                      >
                      > Unless you insist on doing it "kosher" and cut the cable
                      > for every tap, installing the "F" connectors (I think).

                      Na "F" connectors are modern things for Satellite TV. Thick Ethernet
                      connectors are "N" types.
                      http://tech.mattmillman.com/10base5/
                      It also runs serious power levels. which is why you need those big
                      finned terminators, Is it 5 10 or 15 watts searching doesn't show up any
                      info ?

                      Message 10 of 14 , May 18, 2013
                        "Jeff Jonas" <jeff_s_jonas@...> writes:

                        >--o1TbBQi34fJns62lkLauUhJRa63v4vLZ8gE87ov
                        >
                        >> I think the event should have Thicknet proper instead. ;)
                        >
                        >Drat! I gave away my vampire tap tool
                        >(I vant to suck your bits!)
                        >
                        >Unless you insist on doing it "kosher" and cut the cable
                        >for every tap, installing the "F" connectors (I think).

                        Yuck!

                        I have the tool, spare bits and several H4000s and H4005 transceivers. I
                        had this earmarked for VCF this year but, since VCF became a Sandy victim,
                        I'll just keep it shelved for next VCF.

                        >Or just use an AUI hub if things are close enough together.

                        I had a DEMPR around here somewhere... hmm.

                        If a hub is still needed, I'm close enough that I could bring you one for
                        the weekend. Hub or switch 10b or 100b. I do plan on dropping in briefly
                        on Sunday to say "Hi" and drop off somethign to complement the PDP-8. ;)

                      • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 18, 2013
                          Dave <dave.g4ugm@...> writes:

                          >Na "F" connectors are modern things for Satellite TV. Thick Ethernet
                          >connectors are "N" types.
                          >http://tech.mattmillman.com/10base5/
                          >It also runs serious power levels. which is why you need those big
                          >finned terminators, Is it 5 10 or 15 watts searching doesn't show up any
                          >info ?

                          On Etherpipe? I've never seen any "finned" terminators and I'd installed
                          miles of 10b5.

                          Message 12 of 14 , May 18, 2013
                            On 05/18/2013 07:20 AM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
                            >> Na "F" connectors are modern things for Satellite TV. Thick Ethernet
                            >> connectors are "N" types.
                            >> http://tech.mattmillman.com/10base5/
                            >> It also runs serious power levels. which is why you need those big
                            >> finned terminators, Is it 5 10 or 15 watts searching doesn't show up any
                            >> info ?
                            >
                            > On Etherpipe? I've never seen any "finned" terminators and I'd installed
                            > miles of 10b5.

                            Me neither. I have a number of 10base5 terminators here (they've found
                            re-use in non-computer-related RF work) and they're all just thumb-sized N
                            connectors with low-inductance resistors embedded in epoxy.

                            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                            New Kensington, PA
                          • Dave
                            Message 13 of 14 , May 18, 2013
                              On 18/05/2013 17:51, Dave McGuire wrote:
                              > On 05/18/2013 07:20 AM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
                              >>> Na "F" connectors are modern things for Satellite TV. Thick Ethernet
                              >>> connectors are "N" types.
                              >>> http://tech.mattmillman.com/10base5/
                              >>> It also runs serious power levels. which is why you need those big
                              >>> finned terminators, Is it 5 10 or 15 watts searching doesn't show up any
                              >>> info ?
                              >> On Etherpipe? I've never seen any "finned" terminators and I'd installed
                              >> miles of 10b5.
                              > Me neither. I have a number of 10base5 terminators here (they've found
                              > re-use in non-computer-related RF work) and they're all just thumb-sized N
                              > connectors with low-inductance resistors embedded in epoxy.
                              >
                              > -Dave

                              Must be dreaming, and I don't have any thick Ethernet any more. One
                              thing I do notice on the searching for images is that some terminators
                              had a grounding lug...

                              Dave
                            • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                              Message 14 of 14 , May 18, 2013
                                Dave <dave.g4ugm@...> writes:

                                >>> On Etherpipe? I've never seen any "finned" terminators and I'd installed
                                >>> miles of 10b5.
                                >> Me neither. I have a number of 10base5 terminators here (they've found
                                >> re-use in non-computer-related RF work) and they're all just thumb-sized N
                                >> connectors with low-inductance resistors embedded in epoxy.
                                >>
                                >> -Dave
                                >>
                                >Must be dreaming, and I don't have any thick Ethernet any more. One
                                >thing I do notice on the searching for images is that some terminators
                                >had a grounding lug...
                                >
                                >Dave

                                The original Ethernet DIX Blue Book spec. detailed that the shield of the
                                pipe should be earth grounded. It was not for transmission line reasons
                                but for safety reasons should something short in any device connected to
                                the pipe.

                                I have a copy of the DIX spec. if you don't have one and could make a copy
                                for you if you're interested.