Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: For Sale: a real computerized flight simulator

  • Cory Smelosky
    Message 1 of 18 , May 16, 2013
      On 16 May 2013, at 19:21, "Dave McGuire" <Mcguire@...> wrote:

      >>> Amusingly, 95% of the avionics industry still consists of those
      >>> now-obsolete analog instruments, and likely will until both you and I are
      >>> pushing up daisies. ;)
      >>
      >> Personally, I'd trust some of the analogue instruments in avionics more
      >> than I'd trust some modern devices...;)
      >
      > There is that, but there is a big overall sense of cheapness that seems to
      > permeate the world of small-aircraft ownership. Most of those guys (at least
      > the ones I've met) don't usually feel compelled to trash what they've got
      > simply because something newer has become available. They very much tend to
      > buck the "trained and obedient American consumer" mentality.

      I can definitely understand them not being brainwashed in to following that.

      > -Dave
      >
      > --
      > Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      > New Kensington, PA

    • David Riley
      Message 2 of 18 , May 16, 2013
        On May 16, 2013, at 7:21 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:

        > There is that, but there is a big overall sense of cheapness that seems to
        > permeate the world of small-aircraft ownership. Most of those guys (at least
        > the ones I've met) don't usually feel compelled to trash what they've got
        > simply because something newer has become available. They very much tend to
        > buck the "trained and obedient American consumer" mentality.

        When you have that much metal being kept aloft simply by air pressure,
        there's very good incentive to back the "if it ain't broke, don't fix
        it" model of frugality.

        - Dave
        Message 3 of 18 , May 16, 2013
          >> I guess Evan is saying he's authorized to work this during the weekend.

          Not quite; I simply promised the radio club guy (Ray Chase) that I'd let MARCHins know of its availability. Happy to send you his contact info in a private message.
          Message 4 of 18 , May 16, 2013
            Guys, this thread is going off-topic into airplane chat. Take it off-list.
          • Ray Sills
            Message 5 of 18 , May 16, 2013
              On May 16, 2013, at 7:10 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:

              > On 05/16/2013 06:31 PM, s100doctor wrote:
              >> I am or was interested. Essentially, it's a bunch of now-obsolete
              >> analog
              >> aircraft instruments, connected to a fairly obsolete set of digital
              >> logic.
              >> Two racks as I recall. My interest is in the logic.
              >
              > Amusingly, 95% of the avionics industry still consists of those
              > now-obsolete analog instruments, and likely will until both you and
              > I are
              > pushing up daisies. ;)
              >
              > -Dave
              >
              > --
              > Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
              > New Kensington, PA

              Needle & ball, airspeed, altimeter, compass... those are the basic
              items in "instrument" flight. And, they are the basic instrument that
              you find in a rag-wing tail-dragger... and you still find them in a
              modern jetliner. Analog instruments for flying in an analog world.

              73 de Ray
            • s100doctor
              Message 6 of 18 , May 17, 2013

                > >> I guess Evan is saying he's authorized to work this during the weekend.
                >
                > Not quite; I simply promised the radio club guy (Ray Chase) that I'd let MARCHins know of its availability. Happy to send you his contact info in a private message.

                I (Herb) saw this item a year ago, so I have some idea of what's in it. I made BRIEF phone contact with Mr. Chase this morning.

                Quoting him: "Nothing is going to happen in the next 30 days." That answers my question above, and resolves it for the weekend. I've provided Evan with more details. Ray said it's InfoAge property and "they" would have to decide what to do and a value if sold.

                The discussion of aircraft avionics is now off-topic. So I'm reluctant to describe it further, but Ray and I agreed it's "a dashboard without the car". He said it was an instrument and navigation simulator, with most instruments just the panels (knobs and meters only) with a very simple "chart" output. It's not an amusement park ride, simply put. That answers the "flight simulator" considerations.

                But "in principle", some of those simulated instruments are still in use today. That responds to the now-off-topic discussions.

                I'll meet with Mr Chase in due course, not this weekend, to see what's up.

                Herb Johnson
              • Martin A Flynn
                Message 7 of 18 , May 17, 2013
                  On 5/16/2013 12:39 AM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                  > InfoAge has a civilian flight simulator -- a real one! And it's for sale. It's not complete, but enough is there that it could be made to work. On the inside is an MAI Basic Four and one unknown computer.
                  >
                  > Someone from NJARC said he vaguely recalled an unknown MARCHin previously asking if it's for sale.
                  >
                  > Now it is. If anyone is seriously interested (vs. just oggling) then I can show you during the workshop.
                  Evan,
                  Perhaps taking pictures and information on one of the websites would
                  increase the exposure (and the potential sale price)

                  Failing that, the Civil Air Patrol has a unit in Lakewood that might be
                  interested:

                  Pineland Composite Squadron
                  Lakewood Airport, 1900 Cedar Bridge Ave, Lakewood, NJ 08701
                  Contact: Capt Michael Sylvester
                  Email: michael.sylvester@...
                  Phone: (609) 234-0791

                  LAKEWOOD AIRPORT