Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: For Sale: a real computerized flight simulator

  • Mike Loewen
    Message 1 of 18 , May 16, 2013
      On Thu, 16 May 2013, Evan Koblentz wrote:

      >>> Why don't they try and make it work?
      >
      > Because of higher priorities, and it doesn't fit into any of the exhibits.

      I hesitate to suggest things like this, since I'm not in a position to
      help, but why not make it a M.A.R.C.H. project?

      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
    • corey986
      Message 2 of 18 , May 16, 2013
        Why don't we reach out to the local Civil Air Patrol or Air National Guard, maybe they have someone who would want to partner with InfoAge and restore it. They could then "man" it. It's a great tool for them to recruit and a great "demo" exhibit.

        Cheers,
        Corey

        > >> Why don't they try and make it work?
        >
        > Because of higher priorities, and it doesn't fit into any of the exhibits.

      • s100doctor
        Message 3 of 18 , May 16, 2013

          > InfoAge has a civilian flight simulator -- a real one! And it's for sale. It's not complete, but enough is there that it could be made to work. On the inside is an MAI Basic Four and one unknown computer.
          >
          > Someone from NJARC said he vaguely recalled an unknown MARCHin previously asking if it's for sale.

          That was ME. The person responsible for the unit, is not there on weekends; I'm not there on Wed when he apparently is. I could not get anyone to make the connection between us, or if they did I got no word back. It's been sitting around from LAST year's fix-it event with a "anyone interested?" tag on it.

          > Now it is. If anyone is seriously interested (vs. just oggling) then I can show you during the workshop.

          I am or was interested. Essentially, it's a bunch of now-obsolete analog aircraft instruments, connected to a fairly obsolete set of digital logic. Two racks as I recall. My interest is in the logic.

          I think an abstract email discussion of "we can do this with it" won't be very practical or useful, especially given the vague description. There's plenty of well-known computers to be restored among MARCH's archive - no shortage of "projects". This is not even in MARCH's archive, it's stuff the radio people and military people don't want.

          I guess Evan is saying he's authorized to work this during the weekend. Great!

          Herb Johnson
          Message 4 of 18 , May 16, 2013
            On 05/16/2013 06:31 PM, s100doctor wrote:
            > I am or was interested. Essentially, it's a bunch of now-obsolete analog
            > aircraft instruments, connected to a fairly obsolete set of digital logic.
            > Two racks as I recall. My interest is in the logic.

            Amusingly, 95% of the avionics industry still consists of those
            now-obsolete analog instruments, and likely will until both you and I are
            pushing up daisies. ;)

            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
            New Kensington, PA
          • Cory Smelosky
            Message 5 of 18 , May 16, 2013
              On Thu, 16 May 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:

              > On 05/16/2013 06:31 PM, s100doctor wrote:
              >> I am or was interested. Essentially, it's a bunch of now-obsolete analog
              >> aircraft instruments, connected to a fairly obsolete set of digital logic.
              >> Two racks as I recall. My interest is in the logic.
              >
              > Amusingly, 95% of the avionics industry still consists of those
              > now-obsolete analog instruments, and likely will until both you and I are
              > pushing up daisies. ;)

              Personally, I'd trust some of the analogue instruments in avionics more
              than I'd trust some modern devices...;)

              > -Dave
              >
              > --
              > Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
              > New Kensington, PA

              Cory Smelosky
              http://gewt.net/ Personal stuff
              http://gimme-sympathy.org Experiments
              Message 6 of 18 , May 16, 2013
                On 05/16/2013 07:15 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
                >>> I am or was interested. Essentially, it's a bunch of now-obsolete analog
                >>> aircraft instruments, connected to a fairly obsolete set of digital logic.
                >>> Two racks as I recall. My interest is in the logic.
                >>
                >> Amusingly, 95% of the avionics industry still consists of those
                >> now-obsolete analog instruments, and likely will until both you and I are
                >> pushing up daisies. ;)
                >
                > Personally, I'd trust some of the analogue instruments in avionics more
                > than I'd trust some modern devices...;)

                There is that, but there is a big overall sense of cheapness that seems to
                permeate the world of small-aircraft ownership. Most of those guys (at least
                the ones I've met) don't usually feel compelled to trash what they've got
                simply because something newer has become available. They very much tend to
                buck the "trained and obedient American consumer" mentality.

                Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                New Kensington, PA
              • Cory Smelosky
                Message 7 of 18 , May 16, 2013
                  On 16 May 2013, at 19:21, "Dave McGuire" <Mcguire@...> wrote:

                  >>> Amusingly, 95% of the avionics industry still consists of those
                  >>> now-obsolete analog instruments, and likely will until both you and I are
                  >>> pushing up daisies. ;)
                  >>
                  >> Personally, I'd trust some of the analogue instruments in avionics more
                  >> than I'd trust some modern devices...;)
                  >
                  > There is that, but there is a big overall sense of cheapness that seems to
                  > permeate the world of small-aircraft ownership. Most of those guys (at least
                  > the ones I've met) don't usually feel compelled to trash what they've got
                  > simply because something newer has become available. They very much tend to
                  > buck the "trained and obedient American consumer" mentality.

                  I can definitely understand them not being brainwashed in to following that.

                  > -Dave
                  >
                  > --
                  > Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                  > New Kensington, PA

                • David Riley
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 16, 2013
                    On May 16, 2013, at 7:21 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:

                    > There is that, but there is a big overall sense of cheapness that seems to
                    > permeate the world of small-aircraft ownership. Most of those guys (at least
                    > the ones I've met) don't usually feel compelled to trash what they've got
                    > simply because something newer has become available. They very much tend to
                    > buck the "trained and obedient American consumer" mentality.

                    When you have that much metal being kept aloft simply by air pressure,
                    there's very good incentive to back the "if it ain't broke, don't fix
                    it" model of frugality.

                    - Dave
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 16, 2013
                      >> I guess Evan is saying he's authorized to work this during the weekend.

                      Not quite; I simply promised the radio club guy (Ray Chase) that I'd let MARCHins know of its availability. Happy to send you his contact info in a private message.
                      Message 10 of 18 , May 16, 2013
                        Guys, this thread is going off-topic into airplane chat. Take it off-list.
                      • Ray Sills
                        Message 11 of 18 , May 16, 2013
                          On May 16, 2013, at 7:10 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:

                          > On 05/16/2013 06:31 PM, s100doctor wrote:
                          >> I am or was interested. Essentially, it's a bunch of now-obsolete
                          >> analog
                          >> aircraft instruments, connected to a fairly obsolete set of digital
                          >> logic.
                          >> Two racks as I recall. My interest is in the logic.
                          >
                          > Amusingly, 95% of the avionics industry still consists of those
                          > now-obsolete analog instruments, and likely will until both you and
                          > I are
                          > pushing up daisies. ;)
                          >
                          > -Dave
                          >
                          > --
                          > Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                          > New Kensington, PA

                          Needle & ball, airspeed, altimeter, compass... those are the basic
                          items in "instrument" flight. And, they are the basic instrument that
                          you find in a rag-wing tail-dragger... and you still find them in a
                          modern jetliner. Analog instruments for flying in an analog world.

                          73 de Ray
                        • s100doctor
                          Message 12 of 18 , May 17, 2013

                            > >> I guess Evan is saying he's authorized to work this during the weekend.
                            >
                            > Not quite; I simply promised the radio club guy (Ray Chase) that I'd let MARCHins know of its availability. Happy to send you his contact info in a private message.

                            I (Herb) saw this item a year ago, so I have some idea of what's in it. I made BRIEF phone contact with Mr. Chase this morning.

                            Quoting him: "Nothing is going to happen in the next 30 days." That answers my question above, and resolves it for the weekend. I've provided Evan with more details. Ray said it's InfoAge property and "they" would have to decide what to do and a value if sold.

                            The discussion of aircraft avionics is now off-topic. So I'm reluctant to describe it further, but Ray and I agreed it's "a dashboard without the car". He said it was an instrument and navigation simulator, with most instruments just the panels (knobs and meters only) with a very simple "chart" output. It's not an amusement park ride, simply put. That answers the "flight simulator" considerations.

                            But "in principle", some of those simulated instruments are still in use today. That responds to the now-off-topic discussions.

                            I'll meet with Mr Chase in due course, not this weekend, to see what's up.

                            Herb Johnson
                          • Martin A Flynn
                            Message 13 of 18 , May 17, 2013
                              On 5/16/2013 12:39 AM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                              > InfoAge has a civilian flight simulator -- a real one! And it's for sale. It's not complete, but enough is there that it could be made to work. On the inside is an MAI Basic Four and one unknown computer.
                              >
                              > Someone from NJARC said he vaguely recalled an unknown MARCHin previously asking if it's for sale.
                              >
                              > Now it is. If anyone is seriously interested (vs. just oggling) then I can show you during the workshop.
                              Evan,
                              Perhaps taking pictures and information on one of the websites would
                              increase the exposure (and the potential sale price)

                              Failing that, the Civil Air Patrol has a unit in Lakewood that might be
                              interested:

                              Pineland Composite Squadron
                              Lakewood Airport, 1900 Cedar Bridge Ave, Lakewood, NJ 08701
                              Contact: Capt Michael Sylvester
                              Email: michael.sylvester@...
                              Phone: (609) 234-0791

                              LAKEWOOD AIRPORT