re: [midatlanticretro] Fwd:

    Message 1 of 17 , May 15 8:08 AM
      Evan "I don't get viruses" Koblentz,

      Update your java, flash, acrobat, etc.

      Bill

      -------- Original Message --------
      > From: "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...>
      > Sent: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 11:06 AM
      > To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [midatlanticretro] Fwd:
      >
      > http://kyokushin-yka.sakura.ne.jp/i73vwi.php

      Message 2 of 17 , May 15 8:30 AM
        Damnit ... this stuff shouldn't happen on Linux.

        Message 3 of 17 , May 15 8:43 AM
          On May 15, 2013, at 11:30 AM, "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> wrote:

          > Damnit ... this stuff shouldn't happen on Linux.

          Bear in mind the aforementioned possibility that someone may have just hacked your webmail, if you use webmail. Otherwise, yes, it happens on Linux just like it happens on the Mac; as both platforms increase their marketshare relative to Windows, they start to become more attractive targets to misanthropes. It's still a far less frequent occurrence, but it's a non-zero probability now.

          - Dave
          Message 4 of 17 , May 15 9:42 AM
            On 05/15/2013 11:43 AM, David Riley wrote:
            >> Damnit ... this stuff shouldn't happen on Linux.
            >
            > Bear in mind the aforementioned possibility that someone may have
            > just hacked your webmail, if you use webmail. Otherwise, yes, it
            > happens on Linux just like it happens on the Mac; as both platforms
            > increase their marketshare relative to Windows, they start to become
            > more attractive targets to misanthropes. It's still a far less
            > frequent occurrence, but it's a non-zero probability now.

            I've never really bought into that argument. It's more a
            matter of configuration management and crazy features being added to
            mail clients. My network sees *daily* attacks on its outward-facing
            machines...that has been the case as long as I can remember. No issues
            here.

            I wonder what actually did happen to Evan's setup.

            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
            New Kensington, PA
          • Cory Smelosky
            Message 5 of 17 , May 15 9:49 AM
              On Wed, 15 May 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:

              > On 05/15/2013 11:43 AM, David Riley wrote:
              >>> Damnit ... this stuff shouldn't happen on Linux.
              >>
              >> Bear in mind the aforementioned possibility that someone may have
              >> just hacked your webmail, if you use webmail. Otherwise, yes, it
              >> happens on Linux just like it happens on the Mac; as both platforms
              >> increase their marketshare relative to Windows, they start to become
              >> more attractive targets to misanthropes. It's still a far less
              >> frequent occurrence, but it's a non-zero probability now.
              >
              > I've never really bought into that argument. It's more a
              > matter of configuration management and crazy features being added to
              > mail clients. My network sees *daily* attacks on its outward-facing
              > machines...that has been the case as long as I can remember. No issues
              > here.

              I should check logfiles more often just to see what attackers try.,,

              > I wonder what actually did happen to Evan's setup.

              I wonder too...

              In my case, attackers grabbed access to one of my gmail accounts from a
              year or two ago. It took them over a year to start spoofing my email and
              spamming people in my address book.

              > -Dave
              >
              > --
              > Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
              > New Kensington, PA

              Cory Smelosky
              http://gewt.net/ Personal stuff
              http://gimme-sympathy.org Experiments
            • David Riley
              Message 6 of 17 , May 15 10:18 AM
                On May 15, 2013, at 12:42, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:

                On 05/15/2013 11:43 AM, David Riley wrote:
                >> Damnit ... this stuff shouldn't happen on Linux.
                >
                > Bear in mind the aforementioned possibility that someone may have
                > just hacked your webmail, if you use webmail. Otherwise, yes, it
                > happens on Linux just like it happens on the Mac; as both platforms
                > increase their marketshare relative to Windows, they start to become
                > more attractive targets to misanthropes. It's still a far less
                > frequent occurrence, but it's a non-zero probability now.

                I've never really bought into that argument. It's more a
                matter of configuration management and crazy features being added to
                mail clients. My network sees *daily* attacks on its outward-facing
                machines...that has been the case as long as I can remember. No issues
                here.

                I was talking more about vulnerabilities in client machines, especially in terms of vulnerable Flash, Java, etc. which are increasingly popular targets for t3h h4x0rz.

                I wonder what actually did happen to Evan's setup.

                I've put my two cents in. Web mail hijacking, especially if he uses Gmail as a frontend, seems like a good possibility, but only if he uses web mail as a frontend for his personal mail (which I don't know and am not going to pry).

                - Dave
                Message 7 of 17 , May 15 11:36 AM
                  >> Bear in mind the aforementioned possibility that someone may have just hacked your webmail,

                  I very rarely do webmal. Usually POP3 via Thunderbird-on-Ubuntu and via my BlackBerry. Only webmail I do is once in a while via my (ahem) Degnanco account.
                  Message 8 of 17 , May 15 11:38 AM
                    On 05/15/2013 02:36 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                    >>> Bear in mind the aforementioned possibility that someone may have just
                    >>> hacked your webmail,
                    >
                    > I very rarely do webmal. Usually POP3 via Thunderbird-on-Ubuntu and via my
                    > BlackBerry. Only webmail I do is once in a while via my (ahem) Degnanco
                    > account.

                    So did someone grab your password? What actually happened, any idea? The
                    chances of that being a virus are pretty close to zero.

                    Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                    Message 9 of 17 , May 15 11:40 AM
                      On 05/15/2013 01:18 PM, David Riley wrote:

                      >> > Bear in mind the aforementioned possibility that someone may have
                      >> > just hacked your webmail, if you use webmail. Otherwise, yes, it
                      >> > happens on Linux just like it happens on the Mac; as both platforms
                      >> > increase their marketshare relative to Windows, they start to become
                      >> > more attractive targets to misanthropes. It's still a far less
                      >> > frequent occurrence, but it's a non-zero probability now.
                      >>
                      >> I've never really bought into that argument. It's more a
                      >> matter of configuration management and crazy features being added to
                      >> mail clients. My network sees *daily* attacks on its outward-facing
                      >> machines...that has been the case as long as I can remember. No issues
                      >> here.
                      >>
                      > I was talking more about vulnerabilities in client machines, especially in
                      > terms of vulnerable Flash, Java, etc. which are increasingly popular targets
                      > for t3h h4x0rz.

                      I agree, especially Flash. Java, not so much...but then who runs applets
                      anymore anyway. For non-applet-based apps, there really aren't any vectors
                      for incursion.

                      >> I wonder what actually did happen to Evan's setup.
                      >>
                      > I've put my two cents in. Web mail hijacking, especially if he uses Gmail as
                      > a frontend, seems like a good possibility, but only if he uses web mail as a
                      > frontend for his personal mail (which I don't know and am not going to pry).

                      Yes, I agree here as well.

                      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                      New Kensington, PA
                    • Wesley Furr
                      Message 10 of 17 , May 15 3:59 PM
                        I would have to disagree...every foggy morning lately there have been
                        serious Java flaws revealed...and patches that don't seem to address them
                        all. That, coupled with an update process that is far from easy or
                        automatic for the average user, and you've got a serious security hole.
                        It's bad enough that at work we have stopped automatically installing it on
                        new PC's. Sure, most people may not use applets, but that doesn't mean they
                        don't have an old version installed in their browser that is riddled with
                        security holes, waiting on them to visit the wrong web site...

                        Wesley

                        Message 11 of 17 , May 15 4:28 PM
                          On 05/15/2013 06:59 PM, Wesley Furr wrote:
                          > I would have to disagree...every foggy morning lately there have been
                          > serious Java flaws revealed...and patches that don't seem to address them
                          > all.

                          Actual external-access security holes IN THE JVM...the JVM which, by
                          the way, doesn't do any network communication unless the program it's
                          running opens a socket...seriously?

                          > That, coupled with an update process that is far from easy or
                          > automatic for the average user, and you've got a serious security hole.

                          It amounts to clicking two buttons on any release of Linux less than
                          maybe five years old. It even tells you when updates are needed. I
                          honestly hope I never meet the dolt for whom this is "far from easy".

                          > It's bad enough that at work we have stopped automatically installing it on
                          > new PC's. Sure, most people may not use applets, but that doesn't mean they
                          > don't have an old version installed in their browser that is riddled with
                          > security holes, waiting on them to visit the wrong web site...

                          Well I have to agree with you there. But people who manage a
                          network-connected system that poorly will get what they've got coming.
                          ;) I don't think Evan falls into that category.

                          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                          New Kensington, PA
                        • Cory Smelosky
                          Message 12 of 17 , May 15 4:37 PM
                            On Wed, 15 May 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:

                            > On 05/15/2013 06:59 PM, Wesley Furr wrote:
                            >> I would have to disagree...every foggy morning lately there have been
                            >> serious Java flaws revealed...and patches that don't seem to address them
                            >> all.
                            >
                            > Actual external-access security holes IN THE JVM...the JVM which, by
                            > the way, doesn't do any network communication unless the program it's
                            > running opens a socket...seriously?
                            >
                            >> That, coupled with an update process that is far from easy or
                            >> automatic for the average user, and you've got a serious security hole.
                            >
                            > It amounts to clicking two buttons on any release of Linux less than
                            > maybe five years old. It even tells you when updates are needed. I
                            > honestly hope I never meet the dolt for whom this is "far from easy".
                            >
                            >> It's bad enough that at work we have stopped automatically installing it on
                            >> new PC's. Sure, most people may not use applets, but that doesn't mean they
                            >> don't have an old version installed in their browser that is riddled with
                            >> security holes, waiting on them to visit the wrong web site...
                            >
                            > Well I have to agree with you there. But people who manage a
                            > network-connected system that poorly will get what they've got coming.
                            > ;) I don't think Evan falls into that category.

                            I GENERALLY don't fit in to that category.

                            I DO use dictionary words or a known-compromised password for systems that
                            are local where compromise is unlikely, or I really don't care if people
                            get in to them/I want them in to it.

                            Message 13 of 17 , May 15 5:20 PM
                              Guys please take this thread offline, thnaks.

                              > On Wed, 15 May 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:
                              >

                              > > On 05/15/2013 06:59 PM, Wesley Furr wrote:
                              > >> I would have to disagree...every foggy morning lately there have been
                              > >> serious Java flaws revealed...and patches that don't seem to address
                              them
                              > >> all.
                              > >
                              > > Actual external-access security holes IN THE JVM...the JVM which, by
                              > > the way, doesn't do any network communication unless the program it's
                              > > running opens a socket...seriously?
                              > >
                              > >> That, coupled with an update process that is far from easy or
                              > >> automatic for the average user, and you've got a serious security
                              hole.

                              > > It amounts to clicking two buttons on any release of Linux less than
                              > > maybe five years old. It even tells you when updates are needed. I
                              > > honestly hope I never meet the dolt for whom this is "far from easy".
                              > >
                              > >> It's bad enough that at work we have stopped automatically installing
                              it on
                              > >> new PC's. Sure, most people may not use applets, but that doesn't
                              mean they
                              > >> don't have an old version installed in their browser that is riddled
                              with
                              > >> security holes, waiting on them to visit the wrong web site...
                              > >
                              > > Well I have to agree with you there. But people who manage a
                              > > network-connected system that poorly will get what they've got coming.
                              > > ;) I don't think Evan falls into that category.
                              > >

                              > I GENERALLY don't fit in to that category.
                              >
                              > I DO use dictionary words or a known-compromised password for systems
                              that
                              > are local where compromise is unlikely, or I really don't care if people

                              > get in to them/I want them in to it.
                              >
                              > > -Dave
                              > >
                              > > --
                              > > Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                              > > New Kensington, PA

                              > --
                              > Cory Smelosky
                              > http://gewt.net/ Personal stuff
                              > http://gimme-sympathy.org Experiments

                            • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                              Message 14 of 17 , May 15 5:25 PM
                                "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> writes:

                                >Guys please take this thread offline, thnaks.

                                DITTO!

                              • Wesley Furr
                                Message 15 of 17 , May 15 6:25 PM
                                  In doing reading about some of the malware that is out there that I've run
                                  across (we're talking Windows systems here), it has been noted that several
                                  of the serious ones often use Java as an attack vector. I'm honestly not a
                                  Java expert...but presumably it summons the java browser plugin and then
                                  takes advantage of it that way...and all that takes is to get them to visit
                                  a malware-ridden web page.

                                  Again, I'm talking about Windows. To update in Windows, you have to
                                  actually click the pop-up in the system tray that says "please update
                                  me"...and most average users don't pay any attention to things like that.
                                  Then after you click on it, you have to say yes, please install the update.
                                  Then it disappears for a short time. Then it pops up in the system tray and
                                  says "hey, now I'm ready to install that update you just let me download".
                                  Then when you click on it (again, if the user does so) it comes up and goes
                                  through a typical full install looking process...you know the ones, ok, yes,
                                  sure ok, yep, next, yep, ok, whatever...finish. Perhaps easy...but still
                                  cumbersome...and far from automatic...which is what it takes for probably
                                  90% of the average users out there to actually do an update. Not talking
                                  about the knowledgeable folks such as frequent this forum...think about your
                                  mother or grandmother for a minute...are they likely to notice and act on
                                  that process?

                                  Wesley

                                  Actual external-access security holes IN THE JVM...the JVM which, by the
                                  way, doesn't do any network communication unless the program it's running
                                  opens a socket...seriously?

                                  It amounts to clicking two buttons on any release of Linux less than
                                  maybe five years old. It even tells you when updates are needed. I
                                  honestly hope I never meet the dolt for whom this is "far from easy".
                                • Dave
                                  Message 16 of 17 , May 16 9:09 AM
                                    On 16/05/2013 02:25, Wesley Furr wrote:
                                    > In doing reading about some of the malware that is out there that I've run
                                    > across (we're talking Windows systems here), it has been noted that several
                                    > of the serious ones often use Java as an attack vector. I'm honestly not a
                                    > Java expert...but presumably it summons the java browser plugin and then
                                    > takes advantage of it that way...and all that takes is to get them to visit
                                    > a malware-ridden web page.
                                    >
                                    > Again, I'm talking about Windows. To update in Windows, you have to
                                    > actually click the pop-up in the system tray that says "please update
                                    > me"...and most average users don't pay any attention to things like that.
                                    > Then after you click on it, you have to say yes, please install the update.
                                    You don't. There are three settings:-

                                    1. As you describe
                                    2. Download then prompt. This is what I have on mine.
                                    3. Download and install. Modern windows systems set this by default. For
                                    most "users" this is sensible. Recent versions set this as a default

                                    However Java has its own updater which has similar options. These days I
                                    run with Java disabled in the browser. It doesn't seem to break much...

                                    Dave
                                    G4UGM