Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: VCF Fix it weekend

    Message 1 of 18 , May 14, 2013
      > It's not unlikely that MARCH has an SE/30 in its archives

      All of our toaster Macs are in one place, thanks to the big organization
      project. :) Jeff B.: You know just where to look for a /30 if needed for
      diagnostic purposes. (Possibly the one in the original box is a /30?)
      Message 2 of 18 , May 14, 2013
        > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Brace" <ark72axow@...>
        wrote:

        > > I still need a case cracking tool to open up the thing. I know some
        > > capacitor fell out, which I saved to
        > > find another. Only to lose it. I think Ian Primus said its was a 40
        > > microfarad or something. This was 2 or three years ago.
        >

        > I will try to bring a long Torx T15 tool. YOu can buy those tools at
        Sears for under $10 - the shaft is about 6 inches long. Separating the case
        is a little challenging but it's all technique. *Do not do not do not* pry
        them apart with a screwdriver.

        I never needed a cracking tool. I just hit the pinball machine and said
        "Ayyyy"

        But I did take the SE 30 I was working on to Sears and stuck torx
        screwdrivers into the slots until I found the one that worked. $5-10
        maybe.

        Bill
      • s100doctor
        Message 3 of 18 , May 14, 2013
          --- Evan Koblentz:
          > All of our toaster Macs are in one place,

          "Compact Macs" or "9-inch Macs" is/was the term of choice for small CRT Macs from the 128K to the Classic II, and Color Classic. NOt sure of the scope of "toaster Macs".

          Herb
          Message 4 of 18 , May 14, 2013
            >> All of our toaster Macs are in one place,
            >
            > "Compact Macs" or "9-inch Macs" is/was the term of choice for small CRT Macs from the 128K to the Classic II, and Color Classic. NOt sure of the scope of "toaster Macs".
            >
            > Herb

            Same meaning -- the all-in-one units before they become more PC-like
            with separated monitors.
          • s100doctor
            Message 5 of 18 , May 14, 2013

              > > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Brace" <ark72axow@>
              > wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I still need a case cracking tool to open up the thing.
              > >
              > > I will try to bring a long Torx T15 tool. YOu can buy those tools at
              > Sears for under $10 -
              > >

              > I never needed a cracking tool. I just hit the pinball machine and said
              > "Ayyyy"

              OK, I challenge Bill to a Mac-Krack Claymation Deathmatch! We each get six compact Macs and a Torx T15 tipped six-inch tool - and bare hands otherwise. First to open up their six gets to make the loser wear the back half of a Mac on their head! The winner gets to gloat and stomp around! Then we both look inside MARCH's Macs and count capacitors, or otherwise assess what might be wrong. Tag 'em and put them back in the Warehouse with the Ark of the Covenant.

              Are we ON?!?!?! Ya goin' DOWN, Degnan!

              Herb "Mad Macs" Johnson
              Message 6 of 18 , May 14, 2013
                > OK, I challenge Bill to a Mac-Krack Claymation Deathmatch! We each get six compact Macs and a Torx T15 tipped six-inch tool - and bare hands otherwise. First to open up their six gets to make the loser wear the back half of a Mac on their head! The winner gets to gloat and stomp around! Then we both look inside MARCH's Macs and count capacitors, or otherwise assess what might be wrong. Tag 'em and put them back in the Warehouse with the Ark of the Covenant.
                >
                > Are we ON?!?!?! Ya goin' DOWN, Degnan!
                >
                > Herb "Mad Macs" Johnson

                Sounds good to me.

                Jeff B. don't need no stinkin' tools. The man is a black belt in
                Taekwondo. He's the Chuck Norris of MARCH.
              • Mr Ian Primus
                Message 7 of 18 , May 14, 2013
                  --- On Tue, 5/14/13, B. Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

                  > I never needed a cracking tool.  I just hit the pinball
                  > machine and said
                  > "Ayyyy"
                  >
                  > But I did take the SE 30 I was working on to Sears and stuck
                  > torx
                  > screwdrivers into the slots until I found the one that
                  > worked.  $5-10
                  > maybe.

                  I never had or needed a cracking tool either. A little bang on the side, they pop right open.

                  I can also open a Macintosh without a long Torx driver. ;)

                  -Ian