Re: [midatlanticretro] Working on MARCH systems at the event ...

  • Mike Loewen
    Message 1 of 25 , May 14 4:28 AM
      On Tue, 14 May 2013, Jeffrey Brace wrote:

      > Rainbow terminal needs a little cleaning up, Vax Man can explain that. I
      > wonder about the ones in the homebrew room, like the SWTPC, didn't it have a

      Brain tricks. For some reason, I read that as "Hebrew room". I
      figured Evan was expanding the museum. :-)

      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
    • s100doctor
      Message 2 of 25 , May 14 9:39 AM

        > >> As I recall that *was* the one that was in the best condition.
        >
        > No, you're thinking of the two or three that came from the person who donated the Rainbow(s). Remember we stumbled on more in the warehouse a few months ago from an unrelated long-ago rescue? They were the ones where I joked about....

        OK, thanks for the humor. Now....Evan, please clarify when you can, the following. 1) You posted something about MARCH/you selling some DEC Rainbows. 2) You are posting something about wanting repairs for MARCH, of some DEC Rainbows, or their monitors. 3) MARCH has what appears to be VR201 monitors for these, in some kind of condition.

        Why do I ask? I may or may not bring some DEC desktops including a Rainbow 100. I might *buy* a VR201, I need one or more. I can likely borrow a VR201 to bring. Dave Comley has some of these things, I'm talking to him.

        What he and I bring, depends on what's going to be sold or worked on. I'm sure you are busy, but at some point it would be useful to tell folks what may be sold by MARCH. And if you want things worked on, telling people in advance the issues of those items, will help them decide what parts or items to bring - like me.

        Thank you.

        Herb Johnson
        bewildered in New Jersey
        Message 3 of 25 , May 14 11:22 AM
          >> You posted something about MARCH/you selling some DEC Rainbows.
          >> MARCH has what appears to be VR201 monitors for these, in some kind
          >> of condition. Why do I ask? I may or may not bring some DEC
          >> desktops including a Rainbow 100. I might *buy* a VR201, I need one
          >> or more. I can likely borrow a VR201 to bring.

          Very sorry for all the confusion. As I posted on 5/11, "We ** may **
          have extra DECmates and/or Rainbows. To be determined" ... now it
          appears that answer is "no". Here's why: after checking out our DEC
          storage carts last weekend, Jeff B. and I found that only have
          three Rainbows total, one of which has some rare modifications according
          to the person who donated it. Thus we should keep those. Regarding the
          small terminals, I think we should keep all of those too, because one
          day we'll set up information kiosks in our expanded museum space, and
          they'd be perfect for that job. We do however have assorted Micro 11s
          and Vaxstations that probably aren't mission-critical. Do those interest
          you?

          >> You are posting something about wanting repairs for MARCH, of some
          DEC Rainbows, or their monitors.

          One of the screens does need repair. It works, but it's rotted inside. I
          do not know the technically accurate way to explain that. Brian S.
          (Vaxman) previously said he knows just what to do. But if you or anyone
          else wants to work on it this weekend, that's fine.

          >> I'm sure you are busy, but at some point it would be useful to tell
          >> folks what may be sold by MARCH.

          I'm hoping to get to the museum tomorrow, with Jeff J.; what's available
          to sell is a primary question that we will figure out. So I might have a
          better answer by tomorrow night.

          >> And if you want things worked on, telling people in advance the issues
          >> of those items, will help them decide what parts or items to bring - like me.

          You can probably see that I'm having a difficult time answering that
          question for the many people who asked it. :) There is so much to work
          on that I do not know the best way to prioritize it.

          For example, Jeff B. noted that in our exhibit of business
          microcomputers, several systems could use work -- the Epson HX-20 has
          booting issues (and I'd love to see it actually run Valdocs; we have
          some disks in unknown condiiton); I'm still having disk drive issues
          with the Osborne (it worked for a while, but not the last time I tried
          it); David G. already agreed to check out our Xerox 820 (we'd be giddy
          to see it running a GUI and making use of the Blit).

          Degnan and/or David G. might work on the 11/20 that you cleaned for us.
          First, I'll take care of the foam/rubber inside the chassis -- Deg.
          showed me what to do.

          It would be really nice if people can start looking at some of the other
          museum minicomputers. Our Wang 2200 works, but not its drive unit. We
          have an extra drive unit for it in storage. That room also contains one
          of our two Burroughs B80s, the Prime 6550, an Eclipse, and of course the
          Kagan 8. There's no 220V in there, but there is in the event room -- so
          maybe someone can pick one of those computers and start evaluating it.

          In the homebrew exhibit, people such as Bill Deg. / Corey / Jon C. all
          volunteered to evaluate the Mark-8 (which is insanely clean, plus I have
          the power supply schematic for it, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if
          it's running by the end of the weekend!) ... they're also going to start
          working on the Scelbi replica. Corey already did some minor repairs to
          the Mimeo (Apple 1) by changing a certain capacitor that he thinks was
          causing it to generate random characters; we'll see if that did the
          trick or if it needs a need keyboard encoder chip.

          I think you and several others would all like to check out the "Dudley
          8" homebrewed PDP-8. Have at it! :)

          One last comment: yet another side benefit of The Great Storage
          Organization Project is it's much easier now to walk around the
          warehouse and see what interests everyone for restoration purposes.

          Perhaps after the organization project is done (although we haven't
          touched the stuff in the basement yet), we could/should hold workshops
          more frequently.
        • Matt Patoray
          Message 4 of 25 , May 14 12:41 PM
            What is happening with the CRT on the monitor is that the PVA material that bonds the safety glass to the front of the CRT is degrading.

            What needs to be done is that the safety glass and CRT need separated the PVA removed and then the safety glass remounted to the CRT.

            Not something to be taken lightly as you will be working with an unprotected CRT that could very well implode.

            Matt

            Message 5 of 25 , May 14 12:44 PM
              Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

              > Very sorry for all the confusion. As I posted on 5/11, "We *may*
              > have extra DECmates and/or Rainbows. To be determined" ... now it
              > appears that answer is "no". We do however have assorted Micro 11s
              > and Vaxstations that probably aren't mission-critical. Do those interest
              > you?

              SOmeone else posted a need for a Vaxstation 3100 power supply. (?) I don't know much about Micro-11 systems.

              > One of the [monitor] screens does need repair. It works, but it's rotted inside...

              Chances are that's a CRT problem that calls for replacement or considerable effort to disassemble the CRT tube itself. Others can discuss off-line what that's about. I'm sure I or others can look at the "screens" during the weekend and assess this and explain what's the deal.

              > I'm hoping to get to the museum tomorrow, with Jeff J.; what's available
              > to sell is a primary question that we will figure out. So I might have a
              > better answer by tomorrow night.

              > [As to what to work on,] There is so much to work
              > on that I do not know the best way to prioritize it.

              Thanks for listing possible on-exhibit items that need attention; and for intentions to list more in a few days. You know, just having items examined on-site this weekend by knowledgeable persons, may help you by identifying specific problems for repair, or additional accessories needed, or identifying replacement parts. Then you can find parts and items, and set informed priorities, after the weekend. So a list of exhibits with problems and needs is a useful start.

              > It would be really nice if people can start looking at some of the other
              > museum minicomputers. Our Wang 2200....Burroughs B80s... the Prime 6550, an Eclipse, and of course the Kagan 8. There's no 220V in there...

              Power is not necessary to evaluate and identify potential problems, or items needed for operation. Don't focus so much on getting things running in 36 hours. (That is not a challenge.)

              > In the homebrew exhibit... Mark-8... Scelbi replica....
              > Mimeo (Apple 1)

              Those seem to be items already set to be worked on, including I presume this weekend. I'll enjoy looking at them.

              > I think you and several others would all like to check out the "Dudley
              > 8" homebrewed PDP-8. Have at it! :)

              Yes, I have an interest.

              > One last comment: yet another side benefit of The Great Storage
              > Organization Project is it's much easier now to walk around the
              > warehouse and see what interests everyone for restoration purposes.
              >
              > Perhaps after the organization project is done (although we haven't
              > touched the stuff in the basement yet), we could/should hold workshops
              > more frequently.

              Well, I'll close with this thought. If you can make the case that more preparation of warehouse storage helps you and others; then I can make the case that more information about what's there (or on exhibit) and what's wrong with it, helps *those interested*, in preparing beforehand for the present, or for workshops (AKA museum repair work) you are suggesting for the future.

              Herb Johnson
            • David Riley
              Message 6 of 25 , May 14 1:07 PM
                On May 14, 2013, at 3:41 PM, Matt Patoray <mspproductions@...> wrote:

                > What is happening with the CRT on the monitor is that the PVA material that bonds the safety glass to the front of the CRT is degrading.
                >
                > What needs to be done is that the safety glass and CRT need separated the PVA removed and then the safety glass remounted to the CRT.
                >
                > Not something to be taken lightly as you will be working with an unprotected CRT that could very well implode.

                There was a LOOOONG thread on this subject on cctalk... last year? I think it was last year. Lots of interesting advice on it, if you want to trawl the archives.

                - Dave
              • Jeffrey Brace
                Message 7 of 25 , May 14 10:38 PM
                  Also what is wrong with the Sony in the Business micro room? I think it was
                  an issue with not having the proper cable to connect from the monitor to the
                  computer?
                  Message 8 of 25 , May 15 5:43 AM
                    >> I think it was an issue with not having the proper cable to connect from the monitor to the computer?

                    Hmm ... thought we had it working, briefly, a while ago.

                    Andy is the expert in that machine but I don't know if he is going this weekend.