Re: [midatlanticretro] Working on MARCH systems at the event ...

  • Cory Smelosky
    Message 1 of 25 , May 13, 2013
      On Tue, 14 May 2013, Evan Koblentz wrote:

      >>> As I said, I don't know the model number. But I didn't mean we should not repair it at all. I only meant that it's not urgent because I think we have others of the same flavor that are in better condition for the exhibit.
      >
      >> Gotcha, sounds good.
      >
      > If it were possible, I'd like us to restore * everything * in the club collection. :) It is impossible.

      Does that include the /people/ in the collection too? ;)

      Cory Smelosky
      http://gewt.net/ Personal stuff
      http://gimme-sympathy.org Experiments
    • Jeffrey Brace
      Message 2 of 25 , May 13, 2013
        Message 3 of 25 , May 13, 2013
          >> As I recall that *was* the one that was in the best condition.

          No, you're thinking of the two or three that came from the person who donated the Rainbow(s). Remember we stumbled on more in the warehouse a few months ago from an unrelated long-ago rescue? They were the ones where I joked about how many would fit in a box because they're so small ... the punch line being it depends on the size of the box. Hey, I never said it was actually funny. :)
        • Mike Loewen
          Message 4 of 25 , May 14, 2013
            On Tue, 14 May 2013, Jeffrey Brace wrote:

            > Rainbow terminal needs a little cleaning up, Vax Man can explain that. I
            > wonder about the ones in the homebrew room, like the SWTPC, didn't it have a

            Brain tricks. For some reason, I read that as "Hebrew room". I
            figured Evan was expanding the museum. :-)

            Mike Loewen mloewen@...
          • s100doctor
            Message 5 of 25 , May 14, 2013

              > >> As I recall that *was* the one that was in the best condition.
              >
              > No, you're thinking of the two or three that came from the person who donated the Rainbow(s). Remember we stumbled on more in the warehouse a few months ago from an unrelated long-ago rescue? They were the ones where I joked about....

              OK, thanks for the humor. Now....Evan, please clarify when you can, the following. 1) You posted something about MARCH/you selling some DEC Rainbows. 2) You are posting something about wanting repairs for MARCH, of some DEC Rainbows, or their monitors. 3) MARCH has what appears to be VR201 monitors for these, in some kind of condition.

              Why do I ask? I may or may not bring some DEC desktops including a Rainbow 100. I might *buy* a VR201, I need one or more. I can likely borrow a VR201 to bring. Dave Comley has some of these things, I'm talking to him.

              What he and I bring, depends on what's going to be sold or worked on. I'm sure you are busy, but at some point it would be useful to tell folks what may be sold by MARCH. And if you want things worked on, telling people in advance the issues of those items, will help them decide what parts or items to bring - like me.

              Thank you.

              Herb Johnson
              bewildered in New Jersey
              Message 6 of 25 , May 14, 2013
                >> You posted something about MARCH/you selling some DEC Rainbows.
                >> MARCH has what appears to be VR201 monitors for these, in some kind
                >> of condition. Why do I ask? I may or may not bring some DEC
                >> desktops including a Rainbow 100. I might *buy* a VR201, I need one
                >> or more. I can likely borrow a VR201 to bring.

                Very sorry for all the confusion. As I posted on 5/11, "We ** may **
                have extra DECmates and/or Rainbows. To be determined" ... now it
                appears that answer is "no". Here's why: after checking out our DEC
                storage carts last weekend, Jeff B. and I found that only have
                three Rainbows total, one of which has some rare modifications according
                to the person who donated it. Thus we should keep those. Regarding the
                small terminals, I think we should keep all of those too, because one
                day we'll set up information kiosks in our expanded museum space, and
                they'd be perfect for that job. We do however have assorted Micro 11s
                and Vaxstations that probably aren't mission-critical. Do those interest
                you?

                >> You are posting something about wanting repairs for MARCH, of some
                DEC Rainbows, or their monitors.

                One of the screens does need repair. It works, but it's rotted inside. I
                do not know the technically accurate way to explain that. Brian S.
                (Vaxman) previously said he knows just what to do. But if you or anyone
                else wants to work on it this weekend, that's fine.

                >> I'm sure you are busy, but at some point it would be useful to tell
                >> folks what may be sold by MARCH.

                I'm hoping to get to the museum tomorrow, with Jeff J.; what's available
                to sell is a primary question that we will figure out. So I might have a
                better answer by tomorrow night.

                >> And if you want things worked on, telling people in advance the issues
                >> of those items, will help them decide what parts or items to bring - like me.

                You can probably see that I'm having a difficult time answering that
                question for the many people who asked it. :) There is so much to work
                on that I do not know the best way to prioritize it.

                For example, Jeff B. noted that in our exhibit of business
                microcomputers, several systems could use work -- the Epson HX-20 has
                booting issues (and I'd love to see it actually run Valdocs; we have
                some disks in unknown condiiton); I'm still having disk drive issues
                with the Osborne (it worked for a while, but not the last time I tried
                it); David G. already agreed to check out our Xerox 820 (we'd be giddy
                to see it running a GUI and making use of the Blit).

                Degnan and/or David G. might work on the 11/20 that you cleaned for us.
                First, I'll take care of the foam/rubber inside the chassis -- Deg.
                showed me what to do.

                It would be really nice if people can start looking at some of the other
                museum minicomputers. Our Wang 2200 works, but not its drive unit. We
                have an extra drive unit for it in storage. That room also contains one
                of our two Burroughs B80s, the Prime 6550, an Eclipse, and of course the
                Kagan 8. There's no 220V in there, but there is in the event room -- so
                maybe someone can pick one of those computers and start evaluating it.

                In the homebrew exhibit, people such as Bill Deg. / Corey / Jon C. all
                volunteered to evaluate the Mark-8 (which is insanely clean, plus I have
                the power supply schematic for it, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if
                it's running by the end of the weekend!) ... they're also going to start
                working on the Scelbi replica. Corey already did some minor repairs to
                the Mimeo (Apple 1) by changing a certain capacitor that he thinks was
                causing it to generate random characters; we'll see if that did the
                trick or if it needs a need keyboard encoder chip.

                I think you and several others would all like to check out the "Dudley
                8" homebrewed PDP-8. Have at it! :)

                One last comment: yet another side benefit of The Great Storage
                Organization Project is it's much easier now to walk around the
                warehouse and see what interests everyone for restoration purposes.

                Perhaps after the organization project is done (although we haven't
                touched the stuff in the basement yet), we could/should hold workshops
                more frequently.
              • Matt Patoray
                Message 7 of 25 , May 14, 2013
                  What is happening with the CRT on the monitor is that the PVA material that bonds the safety glass to the front of the CRT is degrading.

                  What needs to be done is that the safety glass and CRT need separated the PVA removed and then the safety glass remounted to the CRT.

                  Not something to be taken lightly as you will be working with an unprotected CRT that could very well implode.

                  Matt

                  Message 8 of 25 , May 14, 2013
                    Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

                    > Very sorry for all the confusion. As I posted on 5/11, "We *may*
                    > have extra DECmates and/or Rainbows. To be determined" ... now it
                    > appears that answer is "no". We do however have assorted Micro 11s
                    > and Vaxstations that probably aren't mission-critical. Do those interest
                    > you?

                    SOmeone else posted a need for a Vaxstation 3100 power supply. (?) I don't know much about Micro-11 systems.

                    > One of the [monitor] screens does need repair. It works, but it's rotted inside...

                    Chances are that's a CRT problem that calls for replacement or considerable effort to disassemble the CRT tube itself. Others can discuss off-line what that's about. I'm sure I or others can look at the "screens" during the weekend and assess this and explain what's the deal.

                    > I'm hoping to get to the museum tomorrow, with Jeff J.; what's available
                    > to sell is a primary question that we will figure out. So I might have a
                    > better answer by tomorrow night.

                    > [As to what to work on,] There is so much to work
                    > on that I do not know the best way to prioritize it.

                    Thanks for listing possible on-exhibit items that need attention; and for intentions to list more in a few days. You know, just having items examined on-site this weekend by knowledgeable persons, may help you by identifying specific problems for repair, or additional accessories needed, or identifying replacement parts. Then you can find parts and items, and set informed priorities, after the weekend. So a list of exhibits with problems and needs is a useful start.

                    > It would be really nice if people can start looking at some of the other
                    > museum minicomputers. Our Wang 2200....Burroughs B80s... the Prime 6550, an Eclipse, and of course the Kagan 8. There's no 220V in there...

                    Power is not necessary to evaluate and identify potential problems, or items needed for operation. Don't focus so much on getting things running in 36 hours. (That is not a challenge.)

                    > In the homebrew exhibit... Mark-8... Scelbi replica....
                    > Mimeo (Apple 1)

                    Those seem to be items already set to be worked on, including I presume this weekend. I'll enjoy looking at them.

                    > I think you and several others would all like to check out the "Dudley
                    > 8" homebrewed PDP-8. Have at it! :)

                    Yes, I have an interest.

                    > One last comment: yet another side benefit of The Great Storage
                    > Organization Project is it's much easier now to walk around the
                    > warehouse and see what interests everyone for restoration purposes.
                    >
                    > Perhaps after the organization project is done (although we haven't
                    > touched the stuff in the basement yet), we could/should hold workshops
                    > more frequently.

                    Well, I'll close with this thought. If you can make the case that more preparation of warehouse storage helps you and others; then I can make the case that more information about what's there (or on exhibit) and what's wrong with it, helps *those interested*, in preparing beforehand for the present, or for workshops (AKA museum repair work) you are suggesting for the future.

                    Herb Johnson
                  • David Riley
                    Message 9 of 25 , May 14, 2013
                      On May 14, 2013, at 3:41 PM, Matt Patoray <mspproductions@...> wrote:

                      > What is happening with the CRT on the monitor is that the PVA material that bonds the safety glass to the front of the CRT is degrading.
                      >
                      > What needs to be done is that the safety glass and CRT need separated the PVA removed and then the safety glass remounted to the CRT.
                      >
                      > Not something to be taken lightly as you will be working with an unprotected CRT that could very well implode.

                      There was a LOOOONG thread on this subject on cctalk... last year? I think it was last year. Lots of interesting advice on it, if you want to trawl the archives.

                      - Dave
                    • Jeffrey Brace
                      Message 10 of 25 , May 14, 2013
                        Also what is wrong with the Sony in the Business micro room? I think it was
                        an issue with not having the proper cable to connect from the monitor to the
                        computer?
                        Message 11 of 25 , May 15, 2013
                          >> I think it was an issue with not having the proper cable to connect from the monitor to the computer?

                          Hmm ... thought we had it working, briefly, a while ago.

                          Andy is the expert in that machine but I don't know if he is going this weekend.