Re: [midatlanticretro] VCF Fix it weekend

  • Systems Glitch
    Message 1 of 18 , May 13, 2013
      > So how about trying to fix my Macintosh SE/30? I still need a case cracking
      > tool to open up the thing. I know some capacitor fell out, which I saved to
      > find another. Only to lose it. I think Ian Primus said its was a 40
      > microfarad or something. This was 2 or three years ago. I just wouldn't
      > have any idea where to begin fixing this thing.

      I can bring my super-long Wiha driver for the Torx bits. I never used anything special to separate the two halves.

      Thanks,
      Jonathan
    • Jeffrey Brace
      Message 2 of 18 , May 13, 2013
        >Jeff,
        >Maybe I can help, I really don't mind! What are the symptoms?
        >Bill

        The symptoms are a capacitor fell off when the motherboard was put back and
        not it doesn't power up.
        Message 3 of 18 , May 13, 2013
          >> The symptoms are a capacitor fell off when the motherboard was put back and not it doesn't power up.

          May I observe the obvious? Reinstall the capacitor. :)
        • Jeffrey Brace
          Message 4 of 18 , May 13, 2013
            >> The symptoms are a capacitor fell off when the motherboard was put back
            >> and not it doesn't power up.

            >May I observe the obvious? Reinstall the capacitor. :)

            You may.

            May I reiterate what I have already stated?
            ======================
            I still need a case cracking tool to open up the thing. I know some
            capacitor fell out, which I saved to
            find another. Only to lose it. I think Ian Primus said its was a 40
            microfarad or something. This was 2 or three years ago.
            ======================

            I don't know which kind of capacitor to get or where I might get one.
            Message 5 of 18 , May 13, 2013
              > You may.
              >
              > May I reiterate what I have already stated?
              > ======================
              > I still need a case cracking tool to open up the thing

              Ah. Got it.
            • s100doctor
              Message 6 of 18 , May 14, 2013

                > I still need a case cracking tool to open up the thing. I know some
                > capacitor fell out, which I saved to
                > find another. Only to lose it. I think Ian Primus said its was a 40
                > microfarad or something. This was 2 or three years ago.

                I will try to bring a long Torx T15 tool. YOu can buy those tools at Sears for under $10 - the shaft is about 6 inches long. Separating the case is a little challenging but it's all technique. *Do not do not do not* pry them apart with a screwdriver.

                SE/30's are documented at places around the Web. YOu may find a clear photo which shows the board, look for the cap on that photo. Or provide a CLEAR photo and point to the area of the missing part, and I'll identify the cap from one of my boards. Or someone else can do that, on the various Mac SE/30 discussion groups. I'll offer to help you offline to identify the part. Contact me c/o my retrotechnology.com Web site.

                I'm already overloaded on things to bring and do for the weekend. I can't commit to bring an SE/30 or board, or solder the cap or bring such parts; I could photograph yours on-site at MARCH. It's not unlikely that MARCH has an SE/30 in its archives. It's a decent machine that has a following today.

                Hope this helps.

                herb johnson
                as above
                Message 7 of 18 , May 14, 2013
                  > It's not unlikely that MARCH has an SE/30 in its archives

                  All of our toaster Macs are in one place, thanks to the big organization
                  project. :) Jeff B.: You know just where to look for a /30 if needed for
                  diagnostic purposes. (Possibly the one in the original box is a /30?)
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 14, 2013
                    > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Brace" <ark72axow@...>
                    wrote:

                    > > I still need a case cracking tool to open up the thing. I know some
                    > > capacitor fell out, which I saved to
                    > > find another. Only to lose it. I think Ian Primus said its was a 40
                    > > microfarad or something. This was 2 or three years ago.
                    >

                    > I will try to bring a long Torx T15 tool. YOu can buy those tools at
                    Sears for under $10 - the shaft is about 6 inches long. Separating the case
                    is a little challenging but it's all technique. *Do not do not do not* pry
                    them apart with a screwdriver.

                    I never needed a cracking tool. I just hit the pinball machine and said
                    "Ayyyy"

                    But I did take the SE 30 I was working on to Sears and stuck torx
                    screwdrivers into the slots until I found the one that worked. $5-10
                    maybe.

                    Bill
                  • s100doctor
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 14, 2013
                      --- Evan Koblentz:
                      > All of our toaster Macs are in one place,

                      "Compact Macs" or "9-inch Macs" is/was the term of choice for small CRT Macs from the 128K to the Classic II, and Color Classic. NOt sure of the scope of "toaster Macs".

                      Herb
                      Message 10 of 18 , May 14, 2013
                        >> All of our toaster Macs are in one place,
                        >
                        > "Compact Macs" or "9-inch Macs" is/was the term of choice for small CRT Macs from the 128K to the Classic II, and Color Classic. NOt sure of the scope of "toaster Macs".
                        >
                        > Herb

                        Same meaning -- the all-in-one units before they become more PC-like
                        with separated monitors.
                      • s100doctor
                        Message 11 of 18 , May 14, 2013

                          > > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Brace" <ark72axow@>
                          > wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > I still need a case cracking tool to open up the thing.
                          > >
                          > > I will try to bring a long Torx T15 tool. YOu can buy those tools at
                          > Sears for under $10 -
                          > >

                          > I never needed a cracking tool. I just hit the pinball machine and said
                          > "Ayyyy"

                          OK, I challenge Bill to a Mac-Krack Claymation Deathmatch! We each get six compact Macs and a Torx T15 tipped six-inch tool - and bare hands otherwise. First to open up their six gets to make the loser wear the back half of a Mac on their head! The winner gets to gloat and stomp around! Then we both look inside MARCH's Macs and count capacitors, or otherwise assess what might be wrong. Tag 'em and put them back in the Warehouse with the Ark of the Covenant.

                          Are we ON?!?!?! Ya goin' DOWN, Degnan!

                          Herb "Mad Macs" Johnson
                          Message 12 of 18 , May 14, 2013
                            > OK, I challenge Bill to a Mac-Krack Claymation Deathmatch! We each get six compact Macs and a Torx T15 tipped six-inch tool - and bare hands otherwise. First to open up their six gets to make the loser wear the back half of a Mac on their head! The winner gets to gloat and stomp around! Then we both look inside MARCH's Macs and count capacitors, or otherwise assess what might be wrong. Tag 'em and put them back in the Warehouse with the Ark of the Covenant.
                            >
                            > Are we ON?!?!?! Ya goin' DOWN, Degnan!
                            >
                            > Herb "Mad Macs" Johnson

                            Sounds good to me.

                            Jeff B. don't need no stinkin' tools. The man is a black belt in
                            Taekwondo. He's the Chuck Norris of MARCH.
                          • Mr Ian Primus
                            Message 13 of 18 , May 14, 2013
                              --- On Tue, 5/14/13, B. Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

                              > I never needed a cracking tool.  I just hit the pinball
                              > machine and said
                              > "Ayyyy"
                              >
                              > But I did take the SE 30 I was working on to Sears and stuck
                              > torx
                              > screwdrivers into the slots until I found the one that
                              > worked.  $5-10
                              > maybe.

                              I never had or needed a cracking tool either. A little bang on the side, they pop right open.

                              I can also open a Macintosh without a long Torx driver. ;)

                              -Ian