Re: I got the peroxide...May event

  • nicodemus_nj
    Message 1 of 11 , May 13, 2013
      That's right, I read that it is the bromine used as a fire-retardant, that reacts (oxidizes?) under UV light exposure to cause yellowing.

      To reduce the discoloration coming back, keep the item out of excessive UV light.

      > My thanks to Bill Degnan and Mike Willeagle for posting that "retrobrite" de-yellowing only lasts months or a few years and items revert over that time. This is good to know.
      >
      > For those interested in details, A smart chemist could likely tell us why that's so. It's likely related to brominated hydrocarbons (plastics), is my guess.
      >
      > Herb Johnson

    • DougCrawford
      Message 2 of 11 , May 13, 2013
        I have a brother in law who is a chemist.
        I someone can send me a good link on the subject,
        I can see if he can offer a mechanism to stabilize the
        plastic to retain the restored color.
        Maybe make it UV resistant?
        I'm no chemist.

        Message 3 of 11 , May 13, 2013
          This subject is covered amply on vintage-computer.com/vcforum/ ... search
          retrobrite (or however it's spelled). I am talking many many threads,
          photos, experiments etc. I have a corresponded with the creator a few
          times. Tez has a nice web page that demos the results of use.

          The bottom line .. Good but temporary results. May over a long period be
          harmful. Best to use just before you show item at a vcf, or if you are
          sleezy ...use before photographing to sell on ebay. Within two years 75%
          of the yellowing returns. Caution ebay buyers..you might be buying a
          retro-brited Apple II! Looks too good to be true?

          Bill

          > I have a brother in law who is a chemist.
          > I someone can send me a good link on the subject,
          > I can see if he can offer a mechanism to stabilize the
          > plastic to retain the restored color.
          > Maybe make it UV resistant?
          > I'm no chemist.
          >
          > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "nicodemus_nj" <dwobser@...>
          wrote:

          > > That's right, I read that it is the bromine used as a fire-retardant,
          that reacts (oxidizes?) under UV light exposure to cause yellowing.

          > > To reduce the discoloration coming back, keep the item out of excessive
          UV light.

          > > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "s100doctor" <hjohnson@>
          wrote:

          > > > My thanks to Bill Degnan and Mike Willeagle for posting that
          "retrobrite" de-yellowing only lasts months or a few years and items revert
          over that time. This is good to know.

          > > > For those interested in details, A smart chemist could likely tell us
          why that's so. It's likely related to brominated hydrocarbons (plastics),
          is my guess.

          > > > Herb Johnson

        • DougCrawford
          Message 4 of 11 , May 13, 2013
            OK, I'll derive some info from there and see if I
            can get some chemistry analysis for color retention.
            Good tip about things that look good on ebay.