Re: [midatlanticretro] MARCHins ... get ready for influx of newb questions...

  • David Riley
    Message 1 of 7 , May 13, 2013
      On May 13, 2013, at 1:01 PM, "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> wrote:

      > Remember a while back I was quoted by Bankrate.com about computer as collectibles? And then they wrote all kinds of crazy stuff? Turns out that story found its way to MSN this week. Ergo I'm getting a bunch of emails about "What's my XXX worth" ... A predictable cycle... One person emailed me (not the same person who posted on-list this morning) and said:
      >
      > "Noticed that you had made a comment about Macintosh/Apple computers. I have one of the first models but I am not sure what year it was
      > out on the market but my guess from doing research on the net that it is a 1993 computer."
      >
      > Hey, they were only off in their research by 17 years. :)

      The sad part about the fact that this keeps getting spread around is that now
      people are going to remember that SE/30 they have in their attic and think,
      "Hey, maybe I can make some money off this," and then when they find out that
      it won't fetch a king's ransom, they'll scrap it. It's a shame... I'd gladly
      pay something like $50-100 to keep an SE or SE/30 from hitting the landfill,
      but I'm not going to pay $1000 for it.

      So Judy, I hope you'd certainly consider selling the SE for what the going
      rate on eBay happens to be, because they're wonderful machines for certain
      purposes. I use mine nearly every day as a terminal for my PDP/11 and VAX.
      The 5260s, though... those were, unfortunately, some of the worst machines
      Apple ever produced, and you won't find many people with a soft spot for 'em.
      You can probably still make a few bucks off of them on eBay.

      - Dave
      Message 2 of 7 , May 13, 2013
        >> I'd gladly pay something like $50-100 to keep an SE or SE/30 from hitting the landfill,

        I suggest emailing her directly.
      • Mr Ian Primus
        Message 3 of 7 , May 13, 2013
          --- On Mon, 5/13/13, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

          > I have one of the first models but I am not sure
          > what year it was
          > out on the market but my guess from doing research on the
          > net that it is a 1993 computer."
          >
          > Hey, they were only off in their research by 17 years. :)

          As a side note, what is it about computers that makes people forget that they've been around for a long time? Nobody tries to sell a 1972 Ford Galaxie by saying that it's "One of the first cars". It's as if people's perception is that computers suddenly appeared about 1992 and they had never existed before.

          -Ian
        • Christian Liendo
          Message 4 of 7 , May 13, 2013
            This has pretty much reflected in craigslist postings..

            I see things that were once $10, being offered for $250 to $1000.

            Then the next week $50 less and so on and so on.

            I have a little app on my phone with searches and I read them.

            Some of them are hilarious, like the person who put some DIMMs in a frame and wanted to sell them to collectors.

            I can't wait for it to die down...
            Message 5 of 7 , May 13, 2013
              >> Some of them are hilarious, like the person who put some DIMMs in a frame and wanted to sell them to collectors.

              They were DIMM-witted!
            • Christian Liendo
              Message 6 of 7 , May 13, 2013
                >> Some of them are hilarious, like the person who put some DIMMs in a frame and wanted to sell them to collectors.
                >They were DIMM-witted!

                Here, enjoy

                http://cnj.craigslist.org/art/3715597413.html