Re: [midatlanticretro] Working on MARCH systems at the event ...

  • David Gesswein
    Message 1 of 25 , May 13 9:59 AM
      On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 08:01:51AM -0400, David Comley wrote:
      > I have a couple of ASR33 manuals to hand. Want me to bring them ?

      Not needed. I have the manuals. It was to just save hauling stuff if a set
      was convienent there.
    • Jeffrey Brace
      Message 2 of 25 , May 13 9:25 PM
        > Just a note to remind everyone it's cool to borrow MARCH-owned systems

        I would recommend trying to fix any of the non functional (or not fully
        functional) exhibit computers. Like the Sony, Epson, Xerox. Also the Dec
        Rainbow terminal needs a little cleaning up, Vax Man can explain that. I
        wonder about the ones in the homebrew room, like the SWTPC, didn't it have a
        electrical cord problem?

        It would be awesome if we could have all the exhibit computers working.

        Jeff B
        Message 3 of 25 , May 13 9:29 PM
          >> Also the Dec Rainbow terminal needs a little cleaning up

          The CRT in that terminal isn't worth the effort of taking it apart to clean inside. We have a few more units of the same terminal (I forget the model number -- it's one of the small ones) that we can just swap in.
          Message 4 of 25 , May 13 9:38 PM
            On 05/14/2013 12:29 AM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
            >>> Also the Dec Rainbow terminal needs a little cleaning up
            >
            > The CRT in that terminal isn't worth the effort of taking it apart to clean inside. We have a few more units of the same terminal (I forget the model number -- it's one of the small ones) that we can just swap in.

            DEC Rainbow != terminal...are you talking about a VR201 monitor? If so, it
            likely *is* worth spending some effort on, as VR201s are becoming very scarce.

            Yes, it's standard RS-170 video, so you can get a VR201-requiring system
            functional with something else, but I mean real VR201s in particular.

            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
            Message 5 of 25 , May 13 9:45 PM
              >> are you talking about a VR201 monitor? If so, it
              likely *is* worth spending some effort on, as VR201s are becoming very scarce.

              As I said, I don't know the model number. But I didn't mean we should not repair it at all. I only meant that it's not urgent because I think we have others of the same flavor that are in better condition for the exhibit.
              Message 6 of 25 , May 13 9:52 PM
                On 05/14/2013 12:45 AM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                >>> are you talking about a VR201 monitor? If so, it
                > likely *is* worth spending some effort on, as VR201s are becoming very scarce.
                >
                > As I said, I don't know the model number. But I didn't mean we should not repair it at all. I only meant that it's not urgent because I think we have others of the same flavor that are in better condition for the exhibit.

                Gotcha, sounds good.

                The mono monitors for Rainbows (and DEC Professional series, and VT240
                terminals) are VR201s, with -A/-B/-C suffices for white, amber, and green.
                The color monitors for those systems are VR241s. There are no others of
                which I am aware.

                Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                Message 7 of 25 , May 13 10:01 PM
                  >> As I said, I don't know the model number. But I didn't mean we should not repair it at all. I only meant that it's not urgent because I think we have others of the same flavor that are in better condition for the exhibit.

                  > Gotcha, sounds good.

                  If it were possible, I'd like us to restore * everything * in the club collection. :) It is impossible.
                • Cory Smelosky
                  Message 8 of 25 , May 13 10:03 PM
                    On Tue, 14 May 2013, Evan Koblentz wrote:

                    >>> As I said, I don't know the model number. But I didn't mean we should not repair it at all. I only meant that it's not urgent because I think we have others of the same flavor that are in better condition for the exhibit.
                    >
                    >> Gotcha, sounds good.
                    >
                    > If it were possible, I'd like us to restore * everything * in the club collection. :) It is impossible.

                    Does that include the /people/ in the collection too? ;)

                    Cory Smelosky
                    http://gewt.net/ Personal stuff
                    http://gimme-sympathy.org Experiments
                  • Jeffrey Brace
                    Message 9 of 25 , May 13 10:38 PM
                      >> Also the Dec Rainbow terminal needs a little cleaning up

                      >The CRT in that terminal isn't worth the effort of taking it apart to clean
                      >inside. We have a few more units of the same terminal (I forget the model
                      >number -- it's one of the small ones) that we can just swap in.

                      As I recall that *was* the one that was in the best condition. They all have
                      the same problem.
                      Message 10 of 25 , May 13 10:42 PM
                        >> As I recall that *was* the one that was in the best condition.

                        No, you're thinking of the two or three that came from the person who donated the Rainbow(s). Remember we stumbled on more in the warehouse a few months ago from an unrelated long-ago rescue? They were the ones where I joked about how many would fit in a box because they're so small ... the punch line being it depends on the size of the box. Hey, I never said it was actually funny. :)
                      • Mike Loewen
                        Message 11 of 25 , May 14 4:28 AM
                          On Tue, 14 May 2013, Jeffrey Brace wrote:

                          > Rainbow terminal needs a little cleaning up, Vax Man can explain that. I
                          > wonder about the ones in the homebrew room, like the SWTPC, didn't it have a

                          Brain tricks. For some reason, I read that as "Hebrew room". I
                          figured Evan was expanding the museum. :-)

                          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                        • s100doctor
                          Message 12 of 25 , May 14 9:39 AM

                            > >> As I recall that *was* the one that was in the best condition.
                            >
                            > No, you're thinking of the two or three that came from the person who donated the Rainbow(s). Remember we stumbled on more in the warehouse a few months ago from an unrelated long-ago rescue? They were the ones where I joked about....

                            OK, thanks for the humor. Now....Evan, please clarify when you can, the following. 1) You posted something about MARCH/you selling some DEC Rainbows. 2) You are posting something about wanting repairs for MARCH, of some DEC Rainbows, or their monitors. 3) MARCH has what appears to be VR201 monitors for these, in some kind of condition.

                            Why do I ask? I may or may not bring some DEC desktops including a Rainbow 100. I might *buy* a VR201, I need one or more. I can likely borrow a VR201 to bring. Dave Comley has some of these things, I'm talking to him.

                            What he and I bring, depends on what's going to be sold or worked on. I'm sure you are busy, but at some point it would be useful to tell folks what may be sold by MARCH. And if you want things worked on, telling people in advance the issues of those items, will help them decide what parts or items to bring - like me.

                            Thank you.

                            Herb Johnson
                            bewildered in New Jersey
                            Message 13 of 25 , May 14 11:22 AM
                              >> You posted something about MARCH/you selling some DEC Rainbows.
                              >> MARCH has what appears to be VR201 monitors for these, in some kind
                              >> of condition. Why do I ask? I may or may not bring some DEC
                              >> desktops including a Rainbow 100. I might *buy* a VR201, I need one
                              >> or more. I can likely borrow a VR201 to bring.

                              Very sorry for all the confusion. As I posted on 5/11, "We ** may **
                              have extra DECmates and/or Rainbows. To be determined" ... now it
                              appears that answer is "no". Here's why: after checking out our DEC
                              storage carts last weekend, Jeff B. and I found that only have
                              three Rainbows total, one of which has some rare modifications according
                              to the person who donated it. Thus we should keep those. Regarding the
                              small terminals, I think we should keep all of those too, because one
                              day we'll set up information kiosks in our expanded museum space, and
                              they'd be perfect for that job. We do however have assorted Micro 11s
                              and Vaxstations that probably aren't mission-critical. Do those interest
                              you?

                              >> You are posting something about wanting repairs for MARCH, of some
                              DEC Rainbows, or their monitors.

                              One of the screens does need repair. It works, but it's rotted inside. I
                              do not know the technically accurate way to explain that. Brian S.
                              (Vaxman) previously said he knows just what to do. But if you or anyone
                              else wants to work on it this weekend, that's fine.

                              >> I'm sure you are busy, but at some point it would be useful to tell
                              >> folks what may be sold by MARCH.

                              I'm hoping to get to the museum tomorrow, with Jeff J.; what's available
                              to sell is a primary question that we will figure out. So I might have a
                              better answer by tomorrow night.

                              >> And if you want things worked on, telling people in advance the issues
                              >> of those items, will help them decide what parts or items to bring - like me.

                              You can probably see that I'm having a difficult time answering that
                              question for the many people who asked it. :) There is so much to work
                              on that I do not know the best way to prioritize it.

                              For example, Jeff B. noted that in our exhibit of business
                              microcomputers, several systems could use work -- the Epson HX-20 has
                              booting issues (and I'd love to see it actually run Valdocs; we have
                              some disks in unknown condiiton); I'm still having disk drive issues
                              with the Osborne (it worked for a while, but not the last time I tried
                              it); David G. already agreed to check out our Xerox 820 (we'd be giddy
                              to see it running a GUI and making use of the Blit).

                              Degnan and/or David G. might work on the 11/20 that you cleaned for us.
                              First, I'll take care of the foam/rubber inside the chassis -- Deg.
                              showed me what to do.

                              It would be really nice if people can start looking at some of the other
                              museum minicomputers. Our Wang 2200 works, but not its drive unit. We
                              have an extra drive unit for it in storage. That room also contains one
                              of our two Burroughs B80s, the Prime 6550, an Eclipse, and of course the
                              Kagan 8. There's no 220V in there, but there is in the event room -- so
                              maybe someone can pick one of those computers and start evaluating it.

                              In the homebrew exhibit, people such as Bill Deg. / Corey / Jon C. all
                              volunteered to evaluate the Mark-8 (which is insanely clean, plus I have
                              the power supply schematic for it, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if
                              it's running by the end of the weekend!) ... they're also going to start
                              working on the Scelbi replica. Corey already did some minor repairs to
                              the Mimeo (Apple 1) by changing a certain capacitor that he thinks was
                              causing it to generate random characters; we'll see if that did the
                              trick or if it needs a need keyboard encoder chip.

                              I think you and several others would all like to check out the "Dudley
                              8" homebrewed PDP-8. Have at it! :)

                              One last comment: yet another side benefit of The Great Storage
                              Organization Project is it's much easier now to walk around the
                              warehouse and see what interests everyone for restoration purposes.

                              Perhaps after the organization project is done (although we haven't
                              touched the stuff in the basement yet), we could/should hold workshops
                              more frequently.
                            • Matt Patoray
                              Message 14 of 25 , May 14 12:41 PM
                                What is happening with the CRT on the monitor is that the PVA material that bonds the safety glass to the front of the CRT is degrading.

                                What needs to be done is that the safety glass and CRT need separated the PVA removed and then the safety glass remounted to the CRT.

                                Not something to be taken lightly as you will be working with an unprotected CRT that could very well implode.

                                Matt

                                Message 15 of 25 , May 14 12:44 PM
                                  Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

                                  > Very sorry for all the confusion. As I posted on 5/11, "We *may*
                                  > have extra DECmates and/or Rainbows. To be determined" ... now it
                                  > appears that answer is "no". We do however have assorted Micro 11s
                                  > and Vaxstations that probably aren't mission-critical. Do those interest
                                  > you?

                                  SOmeone else posted a need for a Vaxstation 3100 power supply. (?) I don't know much about Micro-11 systems.

                                  > One of the [monitor] screens does need repair. It works, but it's rotted inside...

                                  Chances are that's a CRT problem that calls for replacement or considerable effort to disassemble the CRT tube itself. Others can discuss off-line what that's about. I'm sure I or others can look at the "screens" during the weekend and assess this and explain what's the deal.

                                  > I'm hoping to get to the museum tomorrow, with Jeff J.; what's available
                                  > to sell is a primary question that we will figure out. So I might have a
                                  > better answer by tomorrow night.

                                  > [As to what to work on,] There is so much to work
                                  > on that I do not know the best way to prioritize it.

                                  Thanks for listing possible on-exhibit items that need attention; and for intentions to list more in a few days. You know, just having items examined on-site this weekend by knowledgeable persons, may help you by identifying specific problems for repair, or additional accessories needed, or identifying replacement parts. Then you can find parts and items, and set informed priorities, after the weekend. So a list of exhibits with problems and needs is a useful start.

                                  > It would be really nice if people can start looking at some of the other
                                  > museum minicomputers. Our Wang 2200....Burroughs B80s... the Prime 6550, an Eclipse, and of course the Kagan 8. There's no 220V in there...

                                  Power is not necessary to evaluate and identify potential problems, or items needed for operation. Don't focus so much on getting things running in 36 hours. (That is not a challenge.)

                                  > In the homebrew exhibit... Mark-8... Scelbi replica....
                                  > Mimeo (Apple 1)

                                  Those seem to be items already set to be worked on, including I presume this weekend. I'll enjoy looking at them.

                                  > I think you and several others would all like to check out the "Dudley
                                  > 8" homebrewed PDP-8. Have at it! :)

                                  Yes, I have an interest.

                                  > One last comment: yet another side benefit of The Great Storage
                                  > Organization Project is it's much easier now to walk around the
                                  > warehouse and see what interests everyone for restoration purposes.
                                  >
                                  > Perhaps after the organization project is done (although we haven't
                                  > touched the stuff in the basement yet), we could/should hold workshops
                                  > more frequently.

                                  Well, I'll close with this thought. If you can make the case that more preparation of warehouse storage helps you and others; then I can make the case that more information about what's there (or on exhibit) and what's wrong with it, helps *those interested*, in preparing beforehand for the present, or for workshops (AKA museum repair work) you are suggesting for the future.

                                  Herb Johnson
                                • David Riley
                                  Message 16 of 25 , May 14 1:07 PM
                                    On May 14, 2013, at 3:41 PM, Matt Patoray <mspproductions@...> wrote:

                                    > What is happening with the CRT on the monitor is that the PVA material that bonds the safety glass to the front of the CRT is degrading.
                                    >
                                    > What needs to be done is that the safety glass and CRT need separated the PVA removed and then the safety glass remounted to the CRT.
                                    >
                                    > Not something to be taken lightly as you will be working with an unprotected CRT that could very well implode.

                                    There was a LOOOONG thread on this subject on cctalk... last year? I think it was last year. Lots of interesting advice on it, if you want to trawl the archives.

                                    - Dave
                                  • Jeffrey Brace
                                    Message 17 of 25 , May 14 10:38 PM
                                      Also what is wrong with the Sony in the Business micro room? I think it was
                                      an issue with not having the proper cable to connect from the monitor to the
                                      computer?
                                      Message 18 of 25 , May 15 5:43 AM
                                        >> I think it was an issue with not having the proper cable to connect from the monitor to the computer?

                                        Hmm ... thought we had it working, briefly, a while ago.

                                        Andy is the expert in that machine but I don't know if he is going this weekend.