Building a Better Tape Reader

  • Christian Liendo
    Message 1 of 11 , May 13, 2013
    • DuaneCraps
      Message 2 of 11 , May 14, 2013
        Christian,

        Interesting

        I might have a easier way but I have not got around to building it yet.

        When  I was playing with my Arduino micro controller I read articles about using led’s as light detectors.

        It got me thinking .....

        led bar graphs displays  have .1 inch spacing to fit in DIP sockets . This is the same spacing as paper tape.

        My idea is to use 2 bar graphs one as a light source and one one as the sensor.

        I did bread board one segment  feeding an OP Amp with a 10K  feedback resistor and got a

        0 to 3.7 volt change with my LED flashlight through a sprocket hole sized hole.

        If anyone wants to run with this, go ahead, you can have the glory

        Duane

        Sent: Monday, May 13, 2013 12:49 PM
        Subject: [midatlanticretro] Building a Better Tape Reader

      • Mike Hatch
        Message 3 of 11 , May 15, 2013
          On 14/05/2013 21:19, DuaneCraps wrote:
          > When I was playing with my Arduino micro controller I read articles
          > about using led’s as light detectors.
          > It got me thinking .....
          > led bar graphs displays have .1 inch spacing to fit in DIP sockets .
          > My idea is to use 2 bar graphs one as a light source and one one as the
          > sensor.

          Interesting idea.
          I have seen leds used successfully on on solar trackers and having used
          leds for sensing in component counters before you might find you need a
          mask over the sensor array, with a line of holes at 0.1" spacing to stop
          bleed (laterally) from one track to its neighbour. Also to stop bleed
          from one row (longitudinally) to the next as individual segments in led
          bar-graph displays are usually quite longer than they are wide.

          > I did bread board one segment feeding an OP Amp with a 10K feedback
          > resistor and got a
          > 0 to 3.7 volt change with my LED flashlight through a sprocket hole
          > sized hole.

          The emitter array may need some tweaking on the current as well to get
          usable signals.

          Food for thought though, might just try it, I have some old PDP-7 tapes
          I want to read.

          > If anyone wants to run with this, go ahead, you can have the glory
          > Duane

          Regards.
          Mike.
        • DuaneCraps
          Message 4 of 11 , May 15, 2013
            Mike,

            Thanks for the input
            The only gotcha that I remember is that the LED’s have a memory effect due to the capacitance across the P-N junction causing it to tend to hold a charge. Some people have used gates to clamp the LED to ground between readings.

            Sent: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 4:29 AM

            On 14/05/2013 21:19, DuaneCraps wrote:
            > When I was playing with my Arduino micro controller I read articles
            > about using led’s as light detectors.
            > It got me thinking .....
            > led bar graphs displays have .1 inch spacing to fit in DIP sockets .
            > My idea is to use 2 bar graphs one as a light source and one one as the
            > sensor.

            Interesting idea.
            I have seen leds used successfully on on solar trackers and having used
            leds for sensing in component counters before you might find you need a
            mask over the sensor array, with a line of holes at 0.1" spacing to stop
            bleed (laterally) from one track to its neighbour. Also to stop bleed
            from one row (longitudinally) to the next as individual segments in led
            bar-graph displays are usually quite longer than they are wide.

            > I did bread board one segment feeding an OP Amp with a 10K feedback
            > resistor and got a
            > 0 to 3.7 volt change with my LED flashlight through a sprocket hole
            > sized hole.

            The emitter array may need some tweaking on the current as well to get
            usable signals.

            Food for thought though, might just try it, I have some old PDP-7 tapes
            I want to read.

            > If anyone wants to run with this, go ahead, you can have the glory
            > Duane

            Regards.
            Mike.

          • Mike Hatch
            Message 5 of 11 , May 15, 2013
              Hi,

              This article I think you may have seen -
              http://www.thebox.myzen.co.uk/Workshop/LED_Sensing.html

              Another -
              http://www.robotroom.com/ReversedLED.html

              This article actually gives a few values, looks like a HE Green array
              might work the best -
              http://www.instructables.com/id/LEDs-as-light-sensors/

              Regards,
              Mike.
              www.soemtron.org

              Message 6 of 11 , May 15, 2013
                On 05/15/2013 04:29 AM, Mike Hatch wrote:
                >> When I was playing with my Arduino micro controller I read articles
                >> about using led’s as light detectors.
                >> It got me thinking .....
                >> led bar graphs displays have .1 inch spacing to fit in DIP sockets .
                >> My idea is to use 2 bar graphs one as a light source and one one as the
                >> sensor.
                >
                > Interesting idea.
                > I have seen leds used successfully on on solar trackers and having used
                > leds for sensing in component counters before you might find you need a
                > mask over the sensor array, with a line of holes at 0.1" spacing to stop
                > bleed (laterally) from one track to its neighbour. Also to stop bleed
                > from one row (longitudinally) to the next as individual segments in led
                > bar-graph displays are usually quite longer than they are wide.
                >
                >> I did bread board one segment feeding an OP Amp with a 10K feedback
                >> resistor and got a
                >> 0 to 3.7 volt change with my LED flashlight through a sprocket hole
                >> sized hole.
                >
                > The emitter array may need some tweaking on the current as well to get
                > usable signals.
                >
                > Food for thought though, might just try it, I have some old PDP-7 tapes
                > I want to read.

                Forrest Mims popularized the use of LEDs in photodiode mode in the early
                1970s, and has done quite a bit with them.

                But...with real photodiodes and phototransistors available for pennies, I'm
                note sure of what the point would be, other than for hack value.

                Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                Message 7 of 11 , May 15, 2013
                  On 05/15/2013 08:04 AM, DuaneCraps wrote:
                  > The only gotcha that I remember is that the LED’s have a memory effect due to
                  > the capacitance across the P-N junction causing it to tend to hold a charge.
                  > Some people have used gates to clamp the LED to ground between readings.

                  The capacitance is a direct function of the junction area; smaller LEDs
                  will work better here.

                  Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                  New Kensington, PA
                • Mike Loewen
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 15, 2013
                    On Wed, 15 May 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:

                    > On 05/15/2013 04:29 AM, Mike Hatch wrote:
                    >>> When I was playing with my Arduino micro controller I read articles
                    >>> about using led?s as light detectors.
                    >>> It got me thinking .....
                    >>> led bar graphs displays have .1 inch spacing to fit in DIP sockets .
                    >>> My idea is to use 2 bar graphs one as a light source and one one as the
                    >>> sensor.
                    >>
                    >> Interesting idea.
                    >> I have seen leds used successfully on on solar trackers and having used
                    >> leds for sensing in component counters before you might find you need a
                    >> mask over the sensor array, with a line of holes at 0.1" spacing to stop
                    >> bleed (laterally) from one track to its neighbour. Also to stop bleed
                    >> from one row (longitudinally) to the next as individual segments in led
                    >> bar-graph displays are usually quite longer than they are wide.
                    >>
                    >>> I did bread board one segment feeding an OP Amp with a 10K feedback
                    >>> resistor and got a
                    >>> 0 to 3.7 volt change with my LED flashlight through a sprocket hole
                    >>> sized hole.
                    >>
                    >> The emitter array may need some tweaking on the current as well to get
                    >> usable signals.
                    >>
                    >> Food for thought though, might just try it, I have some old PDP-7 tapes
                    >> I want to read.
                    >
                    > Forrest Mims popularized the use of LEDs in photodiode mode in the early
                    > 1970s, and has done quite a bit with them.
                    >
                    > But...with real photodiodes and phototransistors available for pennies, I'm
                    > note sure of what the point would be, other than for hack value.

                    How about using optical fiber to position the output from the emitters,
                    and on the other side to the phototransistors? You should be able able to
                    get the desired spacing that way.

                    Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 15, 2013
                      On 05/15/2013 03:15 PM, Mike Loewen wrote:

                      >>> Interesting idea.
                      >>> I have seen leds used successfully on on solar trackers and having used
                      >>> leds for sensing in component counters before you might find you need a
                      >>> mask over the sensor array, with a line of holes at 0.1" spacing to stop
                      >>> bleed (laterally) from one track to its neighbour. Also to stop bleed
                      >>> from one row (longitudinally) to the next as individual segments in led
                      >>> bar-graph displays are usually quite longer than they are wide.

                      >>> The emitter array may need some tweaking on the current as well to get
                      >>> usable signals.
                      >>>
                      >>> Food for thought though, might just try it, I have some old PDP-7 tapes
                      >>> I want to read.
                      >>
                      >> Forrest Mims popularized the use of LEDs in photodiode mode in the early
                      >> 1970s, and has done quite a bit with them.
                      >>
                      >> But...with real photodiodes and phototransistors available for pennies, I'm
                      >> note sure of what the point would be, other than for hack value.
                      >
                      > How about using optical fiber to position the output from the emitters,
                      > and on the other side to the phototransistors? You should be able able to
                      > get the desired spacing that way.

                      I think that's an excellent idea. One could mold them into a little
                      "tub" of epoxy or similar, to make an optical read head.

                      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                      New Kensington, PA
                    • Mike Hatch
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 16, 2013
                        On 15/05/2013 19:47, Dave McGuire wrote:
                        <..snipped>

                        I think the main idea Duane had was the readily available array form of
                        a led bar graph module on a pitch to suit the paper tape, rather than
                        having to arrange individual components. I might give it a try just for
                        the fun of it.

                        Mike.

                        > Forrest Mims popularized the use of LEDs in photodiode mode in the early
                        > 1970s, and has done quite a bit with them.
                        >
                        > But...with real photodiodes and phototransistors available for pennies, I'm
                        > note sure of what the point would be, other than for hack value.
                        >
                        > -Dave
                        >
                        > --
                        > Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                        > New Kensington, PA

                        > Reply to sender
                        > <mailto:mcguire@...?subject=Re%3A%20%5Bmidatlanticretro%5D%20Building%20a%20Better%20Tape%20Reader>
                        > Reply to group
                        > <mailto:midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com?subject=Re%3A%20%5Bmidatlanticretro%5D%20Building%20a%20Better%20Tape%20Reader>
                        > Start a New Topic
                        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/midatlanticretro/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJmaXBjZDhqBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE0Mzc5MDMyBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTU2NjE2MgRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNudHBjBHN0aW1lAzEzNjg2NDM2NDg->
                        > Messages in this topic
                        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/midatlanticretro/message/30619;_ylc=X3oDMTM3anBwMjB2BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE0Mzc5MDMyBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTU2NjE2MgRtc2dJZAMzMDcxNARzZWMDZnRyBHNsawN2dHBjBHN0aW1lAzEzNjg2NDM2NDgEdHBjSWQDMzA2MTk->
                        > (6)

                      • Mike Hatch
                        Message 11 of 11 , May 16, 2013
                          Hi,

                          On 15/05/2013 20:15, Mike Loewen wrote:
                          > On Wed, 15 May 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:
                          > > But...with real photodiodes and phototransistors available for
                          > pennies, I'm
                          > > note sure of what the point would be, other than for hack value.
                          >
                          > How about using optical fiber to position the output from the emitters,
                          > and on the other side to the phototransistors? You should be able able to
                          > get the desired spacing that way.

                          Simplicity, if it works, readily available modules on the right pitch.
                          No fiddling with light guides, optical fibre. But I would want to know
                          if there was any "bleed" from adjacent channels within the packages.

                          Mike.