Re: I got the peroxide...May event

  • s100doctor
    Message 1 of 11 , May 12, 2013
      My thanks to Bill Degnan and Mike Willeagle for posting that "retrobrite" de-yellowing only lasts months or a few years and items revert over that time. This is good to know.

      For those interested in details, A smart chemist could likely tell us why that's so. It's likely related to brominated hydrocarbons (plastics), is my guess.

      Herb Johnson
    • nicodemus_nj
      Message 2 of 11 , May 13, 2013
        That's right, I read that it is the bromine used as a fire-retardant, that reacts (oxidizes?) under UV light exposure to cause yellowing.

        To reduce the discoloration coming back, keep the item out of excessive UV light.

        > My thanks to Bill Degnan and Mike Willeagle for posting that "retrobrite" de-yellowing only lasts months or a few years and items revert over that time. This is good to know.
        >
        > For those interested in details, A smart chemist could likely tell us why that's so. It's likely related to brominated hydrocarbons (plastics), is my guess.
        >
        > Herb Johnson

      • DougCrawford
        Message 3 of 11 , May 13, 2013
          I have a brother in law who is a chemist.
          I someone can send me a good link on the subject,
          I can see if he can offer a mechanism to stabilize the
          plastic to retain the restored color.
          Maybe make it UV resistant?
          I'm no chemist.

          Message 4 of 11 , May 13, 2013
            This subject is covered amply on vintage-computer.com/vcforum/ ... search
            retrobrite (or however it's spelled). I am talking many many threads,
            photos, experiments etc. I have a corresponded with the creator a few
            times. Tez has a nice web page that demos the results of use.

            The bottom line .. Good but temporary results. May over a long period be
            harmful. Best to use just before you show item at a vcf, or if you are
            sleezy ...use before photographing to sell on ebay. Within two years 75%
            of the yellowing returns. Caution ebay buyers..you might be buying a
            retro-brited Apple II! Looks too good to be true?

            Bill

            > I have a brother in law who is a chemist.
            > I someone can send me a good link on the subject,
            > I can see if he can offer a mechanism to stabilize the
            > plastic to retain the restored color.
            > Maybe make it UV resistant?
            > I'm no chemist.
            >
            > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "nicodemus_nj" <dwobser@...>
            wrote:

            > > That's right, I read that it is the bromine used as a fire-retardant,
            that reacts (oxidizes?) under UV light exposure to cause yellowing.

            > > To reduce the discoloration coming back, keep the item out of excessive
            UV light.

            > > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "s100doctor" <hjohnson@>
            wrote:

            > > > My thanks to Bill Degnan and Mike Willeagle for posting that
            "retrobrite" de-yellowing only lasts months or a few years and items revert
            over that time. This is good to know.

            > > > For those interested in details, A smart chemist could likely tell us
            why that's so. It's likely related to brominated hydrocarbons (plastics),
            is my guess.

            > > > Herb Johnson

          • DougCrawford
            Message 5 of 11 , May 13, 2013
              OK, I'll derive some info from there and see if I
              can get some chemistry analysis for color retention.
              Good tip about things that look good on ebay.