Re: [midatlanticretro] Equipment for next weekend

    Message 1 of 9 , May 11, 2013
      On 05/11/2013 03:02 PM, tedheadster wrote:
      > Alternately, anybody know how to make ribbon cables? Is there a tool, or do
      > you just squeeze them together?

      There are tools, but you can squeeze them together if you are VERY careful.
      A bench vise is good for this; you must keep them very flat. I've made
      hundreds of cables this way over the years.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      New Kensington, PA
    • tedheadster
      Message 2 of 9 , May 11, 2013
        Where is a good source for the raw materials?

        - Matthew

      • Mr Ian Primus
        Message 3 of 9 , May 12, 2013
          --- On Sat, 5/11/13, tedheadster <whiteheadm@...> wrote:

          > Alternately, anybody know how to make ribbon cables? Is there a tool, or
          > do you just squeeze them together?

          There is a real tool, then there's what I use. A quick grip clamp and a smooth workbench top.

          Line the cable up in the connector, and clamp it to the bench with a quick grip clamp (the squeeze kind of clamp). Very easy, very reliable, and the rubber clamp cover won't mess up the connector.

          -Ian
        • corey986
          Message 4 of 9 , May 12, 2013
            Funny I was just thinking about what tools should we bring.

            We have spare oscilloscopes we can borrow from the hackerspace. However people may want to bring their own that they are familiar with.

            We may be able to borrow some temperature controlled irons from the hackerspace, I will also bring a good digital weller.

            I will be bringing the Gold Plater with some 18k solution for fingers
            I will NOT be bringing my desoldering station, I need to order a new tip and don't want to be responsible for people scratching or messing anything up.

            I will be bringing a container and supplies to mix retrobrite.
            I will be bringing my Blue ESR meter to test caps in circuit if anyone needs it.
            I will be bringing an RS232 breakout box to help interface the tape punches from MARCH I want to fix.

            I will bring a 1702a programmer if anyone needs.
            I will bring my working facit tape punch if anyone needs paper tapes made.

            I will be bringing both sol-20 and altair blue touchup paint and supplies to use it if anyone needs. I may bring some early Apple II touchup paint.

            I will be bringing Sol-20 wood stain that matches what was originally used. If you take your sides off it takes about 10 minutes to sand with 400 grit paper and about 5 minutes to restain.

            I live about 20 minutes away so if we do need anything I'm going home Saturday night and can bring it back on Sunday.

            See who ever is coming next week,
            Cheers,
            Corey

            Message 5 of 9 , May 12, 2013
              There are past threads about what to and not to bring to workshop ... I will not rehash all that but I do suggest anyone who is interested to search our archives for the term "workshop".

              My advice in general is to focus on just one one or two specific problems and bring a complete support set up for just that.

              If we had a MARCH parrot it would say "polly wants a power strip"

              Sent from my PDP 8/e.
            • Vince Fleming
              Message 6 of 9 , May 12, 2013
                I have some spare cables like that.   I had more, but sadly, recently threw them out. :(.  Just ribbon cables?   I also have a fast/wide 50-pin (not centronics) cable.   I should be able to bring them next week.

                Vince

                Sent from my iPad - please excuse spelling errors

                On May 11, 2013, at 3:02 PM, "tedheadster" <whiteheadm@...> wrote:

                Does anybody have 50 and 40 pin ribbon cables? I'm looking for a few short ones, to connect Unibus/Q-Bus boards together (UDA50, KDA50, and DEUNA).  I got the boards off Ebay, but of course they lack the connecting cables.

                I think a standard SCSI cable will work for the 50 pin, but 40 pin IDE cables usually have one lead missing to make sure you don't plug them in backwards.

                Alternately, anybody know how to make ribbon cables? Is there a tool, or do you just squeeze them together?

                - Matthew

              • Jeffrey Brace
                Message 7 of 9 , May 12, 2013
                  From: B Degnan

                  >There are past threads about what to and not to bring to workshop ... I
                  >will not rehash all that but I do suggest anyone who is interested to
                  >search our archives for the term "workshop".

                  Why not consolidate the discussion into a list and put it on some web site
                  somewhere. I wonder which web site we could put it on. Something vintage
                  computers or something. It would make it easier to just point to a link
                  rather than search through threads for every workshop for the last 5 years!

                  Jeff B
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 12, 2013
                    In brief: everyone should bring tools, supplies, power strips, and snacks for El Prezidente. :)