VCF Fix it weekend

  • fireman_888
    Message 1 of 18 , May 10, 2013
      Evan,

      i expect to be there with a heathkit H-8.

      Alex Bodnar
    • Jeffrey Brace
      Message 2 of 18 , May 12, 2013
        I was considering bringing another C64 to fix again, and more likely
        bringing a 1541 to fix. But it seems that everyone is getting bored with my
        interest in Commodore 64s. But that is the one computer I have the most
        knowledge about. I have had zero time to work on them since the last
        workshop. Mostly because of a long work schedule and because I spend my
        Sundays helping out M.A.R.C.H. in the warehouse and in the museum. I am far
        from an expert in repairing these C64. And still not sure of the best way to
        approach diagnosis, repair or tools. I have a few repair books for C64 that
        I have yet to find the time to look at. Everyone seems to have a different
        way. But let's not rehash this as it has been discussed in threads before.

        So how about trying to fix my Macintosh SE/30? I still need a case cracking
        tool to open up the thing. I know some capacitor fell out, which I saved to
        find another. Only to lose it. I think Ian Primus said its was a 40
        microfarad or something. This was 2 or three years ago. I just wouldn't
        have any idea where to begin fixing this thing.

        Anyway, each time I learn something new from these workshops. Hopefully I
        can learn something more this time. I will bring whatever meager tools that
        I have and hope that someone there can help me.

        Jeff B.
        Message 3 of 18 , May 13, 2013
          > I was considering bringing another C64 to fix again, and more likely
          > bringing a 1541 to fix. But it seems that everyone is getting bored with
          my
          > interest in Commodore 64s. But that is the one computer I have the most
          > knowledge about. I have had zero time to work on them since the last
          > workshop. Mostly because of a long work schedule and because I spend my
          > Sundays helping out M.A.R.C.H. in the warehouse and in the museum. I am
          far
          > from an expert in repairing these C64. And still not sure of the best way
          > approach diagnosis, repair or tools. I have a few repair books for C64
          that
          > I have yet to find the time to look at. Everyone seems to have a
          different
          > way. But let's not rehash this as it has been discussed in threads
          before.

          Jeff,
          Maybe I can help, I really don't mind! What are the symptoms?
          Bill
        • David Riley
          Message 4 of 18 , May 13, 2013
            On May 13, 2013, at 12:52 AM, "Jeffrey Brace" <ark72axow@...> wrote:

            > I was considering bringing another C64 to fix again, and more likely
            > bringing a 1541 to fix. But it seems that everyone is getting bored with my
            > interest in Commodore 64s. But that is the one computer I have the most
            > knowledge about. I have had zero time to work on them since the last
            > workshop. Mostly because of a long work schedule and because I spend my
            > Sundays helping out M.A.R.C.H. in the warehouse and in the museum. I am far
            > from an expert in repairing these C64. And still not sure of the best way to
            > approach diagnosis, repair or tools. I have a few repair books for C64 that
            > I have yet to find the time to look at. Everyone seems to have a different
            > way. But let's not rehash this as it has been discussed in threads before.
            >
            > So how about trying to fix my Macintosh SE/30? I still need a case cracking
            > tool to open up the thing. I know some capacitor fell out, which I saved to
            > find another. Only to lose it. I think Ian Primus said its was a 40
            > microfarad or something. This was 2 or three years ago. I just wouldn't
            > have any idea where to begin fixing this thing.
            >
            > Anyway, each time I learn something new from these workshops. Hopefully I
            > can learn something more this time. I will bring whatever meager tools that
            > I have and hope that someone there can help me.

            I'll be glad to bring my extended Torx bits (I have a 20 and a 25, one
            of which is the right one for opening most compact Macs). I'll also
            bring my iFixit toolkit, which has a wonderful assortment of security
            bits, metal and plastic case opening tools, etc. I won't be there
            until Sunday, but anyone is welcome to use those.

            I'm interested in fixing both the C64 and the SE/30 as well; if time
            permits, I'll be glad to take a look. I also have a parts bin with
            quite a few parts in it; if you determine what kind of caps you need
            (40 uF still covers quite a lot of ground as far as type, size,
            orientation and working voltage), I'll be glad to bring some if I have
            them and you're able to determine the problem before Sunday.

            - Dave
          • Mike
            Message 5 of 18 , May 13, 2013
              Just a quick comment on the compact Macs "case cracking tool". They are very helpful in cracking opening cases without damaging plastic enclosure, but they are not absolutely essential. What is essential, is a long shafted T-15 TORX screwdriver. Highly recommended is a way to discharge the CRT.

              regards,
              Mike Willegal
            • Systems Glitch
              Message 6 of 18 , May 13, 2013
                > So how about trying to fix my Macintosh SE/30? I still need a case cracking
                > tool to open up the thing. I know some capacitor fell out, which I saved to
                > find another. Only to lose it. I think Ian Primus said its was a 40
                > microfarad or something. This was 2 or three years ago. I just wouldn't
                > have any idea where to begin fixing this thing.

                I can bring my super-long Wiha driver for the Torx bits. I never used anything special to separate the two halves.

                Thanks,
                Jonathan
              • Jeffrey Brace
                Message 7 of 18 , May 13, 2013
                  >Jeff,
                  >Maybe I can help, I really don't mind! What are the symptoms?
                  >Bill

                  The symptoms are a capacitor fell off when the motherboard was put back and
                  not it doesn't power up.
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 13, 2013
                    >> The symptoms are a capacitor fell off when the motherboard was put back and not it doesn't power up.

                    May I observe the obvious? Reinstall the capacitor. :)
                  • Jeffrey Brace
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 13, 2013
                      >> The symptoms are a capacitor fell off when the motherboard was put back
                      >> and not it doesn't power up.

                      >May I observe the obvious? Reinstall the capacitor. :)

                      You may.

                      May I reiterate what I have already stated?
                      ======================
                      I still need a case cracking tool to open up the thing. I know some
                      capacitor fell out, which I saved to
                      find another. Only to lose it. I think Ian Primus said its was a 40
                      microfarad or something. This was 2 or three years ago.
                      ======================

                      I don't know which kind of capacitor to get or where I might get one.
                      Message 10 of 18 , May 13, 2013
                        > You may.
                        >
                        > May I reiterate what I have already stated?
                        > ======================
                        > I still need a case cracking tool to open up the thing

                        Ah. Got it.
                      • s100doctor
                        Message 11 of 18 , May 14, 2013

                          > I still need a case cracking tool to open up the thing. I know some
                          > capacitor fell out, which I saved to
                          > find another. Only to lose it. I think Ian Primus said its was a 40
                          > microfarad or something. This was 2 or three years ago.

                          I will try to bring a long Torx T15 tool. YOu can buy those tools at Sears for under $10 - the shaft is about 6 inches long. Separating the case is a little challenging but it's all technique. *Do not do not do not* pry them apart with a screwdriver.

                          SE/30's are documented at places around the Web. YOu may find a clear photo which shows the board, look for the cap on that photo. Or provide a CLEAR photo and point to the area of the missing part, and I'll identify the cap from one of my boards. Or someone else can do that, on the various Mac SE/30 discussion groups. I'll offer to help you offline to identify the part. Contact me c/o my retrotechnology.com Web site.

                          I'm already overloaded on things to bring and do for the weekend. I can't commit to bring an SE/30 or board, or solder the cap or bring such parts; I could photograph yours on-site at MARCH. It's not unlikely that MARCH has an SE/30 in its archives. It's a decent machine that has a following today.

                          Hope this helps.

                          herb johnson
                          as above
                          Message 12 of 18 , May 14, 2013
                            > It's not unlikely that MARCH has an SE/30 in its archives

                            All of our toaster Macs are in one place, thanks to the big organization
                            project. :) Jeff B.: You know just where to look for a /30 if needed for
                            diagnostic purposes. (Possibly the one in the original box is a /30?)
                            Message 13 of 18 , May 14, 2013
                              > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Brace" <ark72axow@...>
                              wrote:

                              > > I still need a case cracking tool to open up the thing. I know some
                              > > capacitor fell out, which I saved to
                              > > find another. Only to lose it. I think Ian Primus said its was a 40
                              > > microfarad or something. This was 2 or three years ago.
                              >

                              > I will try to bring a long Torx T15 tool. YOu can buy those tools at
                              Sears for under $10 - the shaft is about 6 inches long. Separating the case
                              is a little challenging but it's all technique. *Do not do not do not* pry
                              them apart with a screwdriver.

                              I never needed a cracking tool. I just hit the pinball machine and said
                              "Ayyyy"

                              But I did take the SE 30 I was working on to Sears and stuck torx
                              screwdrivers into the slots until I found the one that worked. $5-10
                              maybe.

                              Bill
                            • s100doctor
                              Message 14 of 18 , May 14, 2013
                                --- Evan Koblentz:
                                > All of our toaster Macs are in one place,

                                "Compact Macs" or "9-inch Macs" is/was the term of choice for small CRT Macs from the 128K to the Classic II, and Color Classic. NOt sure of the scope of "toaster Macs".

                                Herb
                                Message 15 of 18 , May 14, 2013
                                  >> All of our toaster Macs are in one place,
                                  >
                                  > "Compact Macs" or "9-inch Macs" is/was the term of choice for small CRT Macs from the 128K to the Classic II, and Color Classic. NOt sure of the scope of "toaster Macs".
                                  >
                                  > Herb

                                  Same meaning -- the all-in-one units before they become more PC-like
                                  with separated monitors.
                                • s100doctor
                                  Message 16 of 18 , May 14, 2013

                                    > > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Brace" <ark72axow@>
                                    > wrote:
                                    > > >
                                    > > > I still need a case cracking tool to open up the thing.
                                    > >
                                    > > I will try to bring a long Torx T15 tool. YOu can buy those tools at
                                    > Sears for under $10 -
                                    > >

                                    > I never needed a cracking tool. I just hit the pinball machine and said
                                    > "Ayyyy"

                                    OK, I challenge Bill to a Mac-Krack Claymation Deathmatch! We each get six compact Macs and a Torx T15 tipped six-inch tool - and bare hands otherwise. First to open up their six gets to make the loser wear the back half of a Mac on their head! The winner gets to gloat and stomp around! Then we both look inside MARCH's Macs and count capacitors, or otherwise assess what might be wrong. Tag 'em and put them back in the Warehouse with the Ark of the Covenant.

                                    Are we ON?!?!?! Ya goin' DOWN, Degnan!

                                    Herb "Mad Macs" Johnson
                                    Message 17 of 18 , May 14, 2013
                                      > OK, I challenge Bill to a Mac-Krack Claymation Deathmatch! We each get six compact Macs and a Torx T15 tipped six-inch tool - and bare hands otherwise. First to open up their six gets to make the loser wear the back half of a Mac on their head! The winner gets to gloat and stomp around! Then we both look inside MARCH's Macs and count capacitors, or otherwise assess what might be wrong. Tag 'em and put them back in the Warehouse with the Ark of the Covenant.
                                      >
                                      > Are we ON?!?!?! Ya goin' DOWN, Degnan!
                                      >
                                      > Herb "Mad Macs" Johnson

                                      Sounds good to me.

                                      Jeff B. don't need no stinkin' tools. The man is a black belt in
                                      Taekwondo. He's the Chuck Norris of MARCH.
                                    • Mr Ian Primus
                                      Message 18 of 18 , May 14, 2013
                                        --- On Tue, 5/14/13, B. Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

                                        > I never needed a cracking tool.  I just hit the pinball
                                        > machine and said
                                        > "Ayyyy"
                                        >
                                        > But I did take the SE 30 I was working on to Sears and stuck
                                        > torx
                                        > screwdrivers into the slots until I found the one that
                                        > worked.  $5-10
                                        > maybe.

                                        I never had or needed a cracking tool either. A little bang on the side, they pop right open.

                                        I can also open a Macintosh without a long Torx driver. ;)

                                        -Ian