Re: [midatlanticretro] Looking for a program to convert text to human readable paper tape punched text

  • David Gesswein
    Message 1 of 8 , May 10 5:14 AM
      On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 10:47:42AM -0000, corey986 wrote:
      > I know I may wind up writing a program at some point myself, but I'm
      > looking for a freebie program that you can use with a punch tape to write
      > text.

      I have it for the PDP-8. I did the punch your name bit at some of the
      VCF's. I have seen a basic version around also. Are you
      wanting mixed case or upper case? The ones I have may only be upper case.
      I'll look this weekend.
    • DuaneCraps
      Message 2 of 8 , May 10 11:11 AM
        Corey,

        I don’t know if it would help, but I have a tape that has at least part of what you need. My program is on bioctal paper tape and for a Univac 1219 computer. My program printed out banners on the teletype, repeating each dot enough to get the desired letter height.  I don’t remember what character generator I copied, but I think it was  a 7X5 matrix. Only upper case because that’s all the teletype could input.  I have no way to read the tape, other than manual inspection.  I did that to get the loader program so I could load programs into my emulator. I stretched the tape across my copier and wrote out  the octal beside it.  It would be harder for data because while I know the instructions well enough to know when I get out of synch, data is more random. If someone could read the tape into a text file where each frame is a decimal number ( first frame octal 76 is decimal 62)  I could load it into my emulator and also extract the character data for you. MARCH should have it anyway in case you ever get your 1219 up someday.

        Duane

        Message 3 of 8 , May 10 12:10 PM

          I have one on basic I used for making badges at a rally if it's any use. Upper case only though! For 5-level tape there is a program for the Ferranti Pegasus emulator......

          Message 4 of 8 , May 10 12:24 PM
            On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 5:47 AM, corey986 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]

            Maybe we're twins; I don't know. I've been working on this very program for my Facit punch (a 4047 punch/reader combo) for the past few weeks as I've had time. Here's what I have so far. It's about to get a major revision in such that it will actually work with spaces. My attempts at using null characters in strings have led to nothing but trouble, as one would expect with null-terminated strings. I'll keep you posted on my efforts. My character set is also needing some revisions, but that'll come around the same time. I'm writing mine in C/C++. I'll go full C toward the end, I'm pretty sure. I also found some images online of the PDP-11 era paper tapes, and it seems at though most of their characters were stuck at 5 lines tall.

            I was hoping to get mine done prior to the VCF SE 1.0 a few weeks ago, but never managed. I had also intended to get some green bar banners printed, but it seems at though my Tally dot matrix printer is stuck with automatic line feeds or something (or maybe LF = LF CR and CR =  LF CR). Everything's double-spaced!

            Good luck, and I'll keep you posted on my progress.

            Kyle

          • David Gesswein
            Message 5 of 8 , May 12 5:22 PM
              On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 10:47:42AM -0000, corey986 wrote:
              > I know I may wind up writing a program at some point myself, but I'm
              > looking for a freebie program that you can use with a punch tape to
              > write text.

              The font is in octal at the end. Looks to be 5x8.

              ADDR=20 /20 punch, 40 teletype
              TPLS=6006 ADDR
              TPSF=6001 ADDR
              / tape labeler SA=200, core=200-734
              / by John Wilson 05-Jan-85
              / echo typed input on high-speed punch
              *200
              LOOP1, KSF /wait for input
              JMP .-1
              KRB /get it
              AND P0177
              DCA TEMP
              TAD TEMP
              TAD M0132
              SPA
              JMP UPPER
              CLA
              TAD M0040
              TAD TEMP
              DCA TEMP
              UPPER, CLA
              TAD TEMP
              TAD M0040 /convert space::backarrow to 00::77
              DCA TEMP /save
              TAD TEMP /get it back again
              CLL RTL /*4
              NOP /(bug fix, replacing 7006/RTL)
              TAD TEMP /*5
              TAD BASEM1 /add table base -1
              DCA 10 /save in auto-index loc
              TAD M0005 /init count to -(# of columns), clear AC
              DCA COUNT
              LOOP2, TAD I 10 /get next column (auto-index)
              TPLS /punch it
              TPSF /spin until done
              JMP .-1
              CLA /AC=0 for next time
              ISZ COUNT /done all columns?
              JMP LOOP2 /loop if not
              TPLS /punch one more column of zeros
              TPSF /spin until done
              JMP .-1
              JMP LOOP1 /back around for next char
              / data (besides location 10)
              M0040, -40 /-40 (offset from blank to 00)
              P0177, 177
              M0132, -132 /(upper case Z)
              TEMP, 0 /temp for computing index into table
              M0005, 7773 /-5 (- # columns per char)
              COUNT, 0 /column counter
              BASEM1, . /base of table, -1
              DECIMAL
              0;0;0;0;0 /SPACE
              0;0;223;223;0 /!
              0;224;0;224;0 /"
              40;255;40;255;40 /#
              134;137;255;137;113 /$
              131;99;24;198;193 /%
              108;146;172;64;160 /&
              0;0;7;7;0 /'
              0;60;66;129;0 /(
              0;129;66;60;0 /)
              84;56;255;56;84 /*
              16;16;255;16;16 /+
              0;160;64;0;0 /,
              16;16;16;16;16 /-
              0;192;192;0;0 /.
              128;96;24;6;1 //
              126;161;137;133;126 /0
              132;130;255;128;128 /1
              194;161;145;137;134 /2
              66;137;137;137;118 /3
              12;10;137;255;136 /4
              199;137;137;137;248 /5
              126;137;137;137;114 /6
              1;1;249;5;2 /7
              118;137;137;137;118 /8
              70;137;137;137;126 /9
              0;96;96;0;0 /:
              0;128;96;96;0 /;
              130;68;40;16;0 /<
              12;12;12;12;12 /=
              16;40;68;130;0 />
              4;2;177;10;4 /?
              56;68;154;188;152 /@
              254;9;9;9;254 /A
              255;137;137;137;118 /B
              126;129;129;129;129 /C
              255;129;129;129;126 /D
              255;137;137;137;137 /E
              255;9;9;9;1 /F
              126;129;129;145;243 /G
              255;8;8;8;255 /H
              129;129;255;129;129 /I
              96;128;129;127;1 /J
              255;8;20;34;193 /K
              255;128;128;128;128 /L
              255;2;12;2;255 /M
              255;2;60;64;255 /N
              126;129;129;126;0 /O
              255;9;9;9;6 /P
              124;129;161;65;190 /Q
              255;25;41;73;134 /R
              134;137;137;137;113 /S
              1;1;255;1;1 /T
              127;128;128;128;127 /U
              63;96;192;96;63 /V
              127;128;112;128;127 /W
              195;36;24;36;195 /X
              3;4;218;4;3;193 /Y
              161;145;137;135 /Z
              $
            • David Gesswein
              Message 6 of 8 , May 12 5:50 PM
                On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 08:22:54PM -0400, David Gesswein wrote:

                > The font is in octal at the end. Looks to be 5x8.

                Got to stop replying when I'm in a hurry. It decimal. Most PDP-8 stuff is
                octal but not this.