Re: What's "portable"

  • m
    Message 1 of 11 , May 9, 2013
      > As MARCH veterans know, I've been working on a history book about the evolution of portable computers. The book has been "in progress" for 10 years and one of these days I'll finish it...

      So, what's keeping you from finishing it?

      --
      MS
      Message 2 of 11 , May 9, 2013
        >> So, what's keeping you from finishing it?

        I'm lazy.
      • Mike
        Message 3 of 11 , May 10, 2013
          Back in the 80's the Computer Systems Division of Gould (previously Systems Engineering Laboratories), had a derivation of the 32/27 Concept computer system, which was normally rack mount. The chassis was fitted into a horizontally oriented, shock mounted enclosure. It had handles and probably took 4 guys to safely move it around. It would fit into the back of a Jeep without too much difficulty. I believe that it also had a tempest rating.

          Maybe Dan Rogani also remembers it.

          regards,
          Mike Willegal

          Message 4 of 11 , May 10, 2013
            > Back in the 80's the Computer Systems Division of Gould (previously Systems Engineering Laboratories), had a derivation of the 32/27 Concept computer system, which was normally rack mount. The chassis was fitted into a horizontally oriented, shock mounted enclosure. It had handles and probably took 4 guys to safely move it around. It would fit into the back of a Jeep without too much difficulty. I believe that it also had a tempest rating.

            That concept has been around since at least 1958. :)

            http://www.computerhistory.org/revolution/mobile-computing/18/315/1672
            Message 5 of 11 , May 10, 2013

              > > Back in the 80's the Computer Systems Division of Gould (previously
              Systems Engineering Laboratories), had a derivation of the 32/27 Concept
              computer system, which was normally rack mount. The chassis was fitted
              into a horizontally oriented, shock mounted enclosure. It had handles and
              probably took 4 guys to safely move it around. It would fit into the back
              of a Jeep without too much difficulty. I believe that it also had a
              tempest rating.

              > That concept has been around since at least 1958. :)
              >
              > http://www.computerhistory.org/revolution/mobile-computing/18/315/1672

              Here's a few scans I made from my own research

              http://vintagecomputer.net/CISC367/Early_DEC_portable_computers.pdf
            • m
              Message 6 of 11 , May 11, 2013
                > >> So, what's keeping you from finishing it?
                > I'm lazy.

                I would suspect you're probably being a perfectionist about it.
                How many pages do you have so far? How fleshed out is it?
                What's missing?

                Have you recently sought feedback about your manuscript as it currently stands?

                We need the first MARCH-Press book to come out already!

                :)

                --
                MS
                Message 7 of 11 , May 11, 2013
                  >> I would suspect you're probably being a perfectionist about it.

                  No other way is acceptable to me.

                  >> How many pages do you have so far? How fleshed out is it?

                  The initial manuscript is about 75% done.

                  >> What's missing?

                  Oh man. I have to do tons and tons of rewriting and self-editing. What I have currently is information. I have to put a lot of work into making it into a story.

                  >> Have you recently sought feedback about your manuscript as it currently stands?

                  Yes, from selected historians and writers whom I deeply trust. I've only shown tiny parts to general readers. It's not ready.

                  >> We need the first MARCH-Press book to come out already!

                  I hope to publish this someplace mainstream, but it will probably go through a university press. I've had initial conversations with MIT and Rutgers.

                  I'm already thinking about ideas for my next book! It would be a new twist (which I can't yet reveal, lest someone swipe the idea) on the established story of the homebrew computing generation.
                • Wesley Furr