Re: [midatlanticretro] Possible CDC 9747 drive for trade

  • Cory Smelosky
    Message 1 of 11 , May 8, 2013
      On 8 May 2013, at 19:45, "Dave McGuire" <Mcguire@...> wrote:

      > On 05/08/2013 07:40 PM, Mr Ian Primus wrote:
      >>> I just acquired a Control Data 9747 removable pack drive. I am almost
      >>> 100% sure this drive has never been used. It is still in its shipping
      >>> box but off its pallet so it can be wheeled around. Its a monster that
      >>> takes 11 disk platter packs. I have 1 pack for it. From what I have
      >>> found I think it is around 74 vintage? The platter well is not marked at
      >>> all and the insides are beautiful. The foam has disintegrated though on
      >>> the panels.
      >>
      >> I guess this is a new one on me. I thought I knew the CDC drives pretty
      >> well, but I'm not familiar with the 9747. Is it a standard SMD interface,
      >> or was it something custom? From the description, it sounds like the
      >> venerable 9766 (11 platter disk packs and disintegrating foam). And from
      >> what I know of the 9766, it is amazingly heavy. And, if you made the
      >> mistake of wheeling it into a minivan from a loading dock, you'll have all
      >> kinds of fun getting it out, later, without one. Ask me how I know this.
      >
      > It took four people about four hours to get my 9766 down two flights of
      > stairs last year. I don't shy away from moving very many things (I have two
      > single-rack computers here that each weigh in excess of a ton), but another
      > 9766 not on a ground floor, without suitable big moving equipment and an
      > elevator, would give me pause.

      This was extremely amusing when I misread the subject as "portable"...

      > -Dave
      >
      > --
      > Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      > New Kensington, PA

    • Brian Roth
      Message 2 of 11 , May 8, 2013
        Here are some pictures.

        http://www.stargeezer.net/SAM_2775.JPG
        http://www.stargeezer.net/SAM_2776.JPG
        http://www.stargeezer.net/SAM_2777.JPG
        http://www.stargeezer.net/SAM_2778.JPG
        http://www.stargeezer.net/SAM_2780.JPG
        http://www.stargeezer.net/SAM_2781.JPG
        http://www.stargeezer.net/SAM_2782.JPG

        Message 3 of 11 , May 8, 2013
          On 05/08/2013 09:41 PM, Brian Roth wrote:
          > Here are some pictures.
          >
          > http://www.stargeezer.net/SAM_2775.JPG
          > http://www.stargeezer.net/SAM_2776.JPG
          > http://www.stargeezer.net/SAM_2777.JPG
          > http://www.stargeezer.net/SAM_2778.JPG
          > http://www.stargeezer.net/SAM_2780.JPG
          > http://www.stargeezer.net/SAM_2781.JPG
          > http://www.stargeezer.net/SAM_2782.JPG

          Yow.

          Any idea yet of what interface it has?

          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
          New Kensington, PA
        • David Riley
          Message 4 of 11 , May 8, 2013
            On May 8, 2013, at 8:08 PM, "Cory Smelosky" <b4@...> wrote:

            > This was extremely amusing when I misread the subject as "portable"...

            Well, it got moved in the end, didn't it? That's a certain definition of "portable".

            - Dave
          • Cory Smelosky
            Message 5 of 11 , May 8, 2013
              On Wed, 9 May 2013, David Riley wrote:

              > On May 8, 2013, at 8:08 PM, "Cory Smelosky" <b4@...> wrote:
              >
              >> This was extremely amusing when I misread the subject as "portable"...
              >
              > Well, it got moved in the end, didn't it? That's a certain definition of "portable".

              True. ;)

              > - Dave

              Cory Smelosky
              http://gewt.net/ Personal stuff
              http://gimme-sympathy.org Experiments
            • Brian Roth
              Message 6 of 11 , May 8, 2013
                Not yet. I'll try and get time to crack the back open tomorrow.