Re: [midatlanticretro] Possible CDC 9747 drive for trade

    Message 1 of 11 , May 8 4:45 PM
      On 05/08/2013 07:40 PM, Mr Ian Primus wrote:
      >> I just acquired a Control Data 9747 removable pack drive. I am almost
      >> 100% sure this drive has never been used. It is still in its shipping
      >> box but off its pallet so it can be wheeled around. Its a monster that
      >> takes 11 disk platter packs. I have 1 pack for it. From what I have
      >> found I think it is around 74 vintage? The platter well is not marked at
      >> all and the insides are beautiful. The foam has disintegrated though on
      >> the panels.
      >
      > I guess this is a new one on me. I thought I knew the CDC drives pretty
      > well, but I'm not familiar with the 9747. Is it a standard SMD interface,
      > or was it something custom? From the description, it sounds like the
      > venerable 9766 (11 platter disk packs and disintegrating foam). And from
      > what I know of the 9766, it is amazingly heavy. And, if you made the
      > mistake of wheeling it into a minivan from a loading dock, you'll have all
      > kinds of fun getting it out, later, without one. Ask me how I know this.

      It took four people about four hours to get my 9766 down two flights of
      stairs last year. I don't shy away from moving very many things (I have two
      single-rack computers here that each weigh in excess of a ton), but another
      9766 not on a ground floor, without suitable big moving equipment and an
      elevator, would give me pause.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      New Kensington, PA
    • Cory Smelosky
      Message 2 of 11 , May 8 5:08 PM
        On 8 May 2013, at 19:45, "Dave McGuire" <Mcguire@...> wrote:

        > On 05/08/2013 07:40 PM, Mr Ian Primus wrote:
        >>> I just acquired a Control Data 9747 removable pack drive. I am almost
        >>> 100% sure this drive has never been used. It is still in its shipping
        >>> box but off its pallet so it can be wheeled around. Its a monster that
        >>> takes 11 disk platter packs. I have 1 pack for it. From what I have
        >>> found I think it is around 74 vintage? The platter well is not marked at
        >>> all and the insides are beautiful. The foam has disintegrated though on
        >>> the panels.
        >>
        >> I guess this is a new one on me. I thought I knew the CDC drives pretty
        >> well, but I'm not familiar with the 9747. Is it a standard SMD interface,
        >> or was it something custom? From the description, it sounds like the
        >> venerable 9766 (11 platter disk packs and disintegrating foam). And from
        >> what I know of the 9766, it is amazingly heavy. And, if you made the
        >> mistake of wheeling it into a minivan from a loading dock, you'll have all
        >> kinds of fun getting it out, later, without one. Ask me how I know this.
        >
        > It took four people about four hours to get my 9766 down two flights of
        > stairs last year. I don't shy away from moving very many things (I have two
        > single-rack computers here that each weigh in excess of a ton), but another
        > 9766 not on a ground floor, without suitable big moving equipment and an
        > elevator, would give me pause.

        This was extremely amusing when I misread the subject as "portable"...

        > -Dave
        >
        > --
        > Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        > New Kensington, PA

      • Brian Roth
        Message 3 of 11 , May 8 6:41 PM
          Here are some pictures.

          http://www.stargeezer.net/SAM_2775.JPG
          http://www.stargeezer.net/SAM_2776.JPG
          http://www.stargeezer.net/SAM_2777.JPG
          http://www.stargeezer.net/SAM_2778.JPG
          http://www.stargeezer.net/SAM_2780.JPG
          http://www.stargeezer.net/SAM_2781.JPG
          http://www.stargeezer.net/SAM_2782.JPG

          Message 4 of 11 , May 8 6:50 PM
            On 05/08/2013 09:41 PM, Brian Roth wrote:
            > Here are some pictures.
            >
            > http://www.stargeezer.net/SAM_2775.JPG
            > http://www.stargeezer.net/SAM_2776.JPG
            > http://www.stargeezer.net/SAM_2777.JPG
            > http://www.stargeezer.net/SAM_2778.JPG
            > http://www.stargeezer.net/SAM_2780.JPG
            > http://www.stargeezer.net/SAM_2781.JPG
            > http://www.stargeezer.net/SAM_2782.JPG

            Yow.

            Any idea yet of what interface it has?

            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
            New Kensington, PA
          • David Riley
            Message 5 of 11 , May 8 6:50 PM
              On May 8, 2013, at 8:08 PM, "Cory Smelosky" <b4@...> wrote:

              > This was extremely amusing when I misread the subject as "portable"...

              Well, it got moved in the end, didn't it? That's a certain definition of "portable".

              - Dave
            • Cory Smelosky
              Message 6 of 11 , May 8 6:54 PM
                On Wed, 9 May 2013, David Riley wrote:

                > On May 8, 2013, at 8:08 PM, "Cory Smelosky" <b4@...> wrote:
                >
                >> This was extremely amusing when I misread the subject as "portable"...
                >
                > Well, it got moved in the end, didn't it? That's a certain definition of "portable".

                True. ;)

                > - Dave

                Cory Smelosky
                http://gewt.net/ Personal stuff
                http://gimme-sympathy.org Experiments
              • Brian Roth
                Message 7 of 11 , May 8 6:58 PM
                  Not yet. I'll try and get time to crack the back open tomorrow.