Re: [midatlanticretro] Possible CDC 9747 drive for trade

  • Mr Ian Primus
    Message 1 of 11 , May 8, 2013
      --- On Wed, 5/8/13, Brian Roth <abacos_98@...> wrote:

      > I just acquired a Control Data 9747 removable pack drive. I am almost
      > 100% sure this drive has never been used. It is still in its shipping box
      > but off its pallet so it can be wheeled around. Its a monster that takes
      > 11 disk platter packs. I have 1 pack for it. From what I have found I
      > think it is around 74 vintage? The platter well is not marked at all and
      > the insides are beautiful. The foam has disintegrated though on the
      > panels.

      I guess this is a new one on me. I thought I knew the CDC drives pretty well, but I'm not familiar with the 9747. Is it a standard SMD interface, or was it something custom? From the description, it sounds like the venerable 9766 (11 platter disk packs and disintegrating foam). And from what I know of the 9766, it is amazingly heavy. And, if you made the mistake of wheeling it into a minivan from a loading dock, you'll have all kinds of fun getting it out, later, without one. Ask me how I know this.

      There was also the 9746, which was a lighter cousin of the 9766, but I think those packs only have five or six platters, and held 60-something MB, versus the 9766, which was 300.

      -Ian
      Message 2 of 11 , May 8, 2013
        On 05/08/2013 07:40 PM, Mr Ian Primus wrote:
        >> I just acquired a Control Data 9747 removable pack drive. I am almost
        >> 100% sure this drive has never been used. It is still in its shipping
        >> box but off its pallet so it can be wheeled around. Its a monster that
        >> takes 11 disk platter packs. I have 1 pack for it. From what I have
        >> found I think it is around 74 vintage? The platter well is not marked at
        >> all and the insides are beautiful. The foam has disintegrated though on
        >> the panels.
        >
        > I guess this is a new one on me. I thought I knew the CDC drives pretty
        > well, but I'm not familiar with the 9747. Is it a standard SMD interface,
        > or was it something custom? From the description, it sounds like the
        > venerable 9766 (11 platter disk packs and disintegrating foam). And from
        > what I know of the 9766, it is amazingly heavy. And, if you made the
        > mistake of wheeling it into a minivan from a loading dock, you'll have all
        > kinds of fun getting it out, later, without one. Ask me how I know this.

        It took four people about four hours to get my 9766 down two flights of
        stairs last year. I don't shy away from moving very many things (I have two
        single-rack computers here that each weigh in excess of a ton), but another
        9766 not on a ground floor, without suitable big moving equipment and an
        elevator, would give me pause.

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        New Kensington, PA
      • Cory Smelosky
        Message 3 of 11 , May 8, 2013
          On 8 May 2013, at 19:45, "Dave McGuire" <Mcguire@...> wrote:

          > On 05/08/2013 07:40 PM, Mr Ian Primus wrote:
          >>> I just acquired a Control Data 9747 removable pack drive. I am almost
          >>> 100% sure this drive has never been used. It is still in its shipping
          >>> box but off its pallet so it can be wheeled around. Its a monster that
          >>> takes 11 disk platter packs. I have 1 pack for it. From what I have
          >>> found I think it is around 74 vintage? The platter well is not marked at
          >>> all and the insides are beautiful. The foam has disintegrated though on
          >>> the panels.
          >>
          >> I guess this is a new one on me. I thought I knew the CDC drives pretty
          >> well, but I'm not familiar with the 9747. Is it a standard SMD interface,
          >> or was it something custom? From the description, it sounds like the
          >> venerable 9766 (11 platter disk packs and disintegrating foam). And from
          >> what I know of the 9766, it is amazingly heavy. And, if you made the
          >> mistake of wheeling it into a minivan from a loading dock, you'll have all
          >> kinds of fun getting it out, later, without one. Ask me how I know this.
          >
          > It took four people about four hours to get my 9766 down two flights of
          > stairs last year. I don't shy away from moving very many things (I have two
          > single-rack computers here that each weigh in excess of a ton), but another
          > 9766 not on a ground floor, without suitable big moving equipment and an
          > elevator, would give me pause.

          This was extremely amusing when I misread the subject as "portable"...

          > -Dave
          >
          > --
          > Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
          > New Kensington, PA

        • Brian Roth
          Message 4 of 11 , May 8, 2013
            Here are some pictures.

            http://www.stargeezer.net/SAM_2775.JPG
            http://www.stargeezer.net/SAM_2776.JPG
            http://www.stargeezer.net/SAM_2777.JPG
            http://www.stargeezer.net/SAM_2778.JPG
            http://www.stargeezer.net/SAM_2780.JPG
            http://www.stargeezer.net/SAM_2781.JPG
            http://www.stargeezer.net/SAM_2782.JPG

            Message 5 of 11 , May 8, 2013
              On 05/08/2013 09:41 PM, Brian Roth wrote:
              > Here are some pictures.
              >
              > http://www.stargeezer.net/SAM_2775.JPG
              > http://www.stargeezer.net/SAM_2776.JPG
              > http://www.stargeezer.net/SAM_2777.JPG
              > http://www.stargeezer.net/SAM_2778.JPG
              > http://www.stargeezer.net/SAM_2780.JPG
              > http://www.stargeezer.net/SAM_2781.JPG
              > http://www.stargeezer.net/SAM_2782.JPG

              Yow.

              Any idea yet of what interface it has?

              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
              New Kensington, PA
            • David Riley
              Message 6 of 11 , May 8, 2013
                On May 8, 2013, at 8:08 PM, "Cory Smelosky" <b4@...> wrote:

                > This was extremely amusing when I misread the subject as "portable"...

                Well, it got moved in the end, didn't it? That's a certain definition of "portable".

                - Dave
              • Cory Smelosky
                Message 7 of 11 , May 8, 2013
                  On Wed, 9 May 2013, David Riley wrote:

                  > On May 8, 2013, at 8:08 PM, "Cory Smelosky" <b4@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> This was extremely amusing when I misread the subject as "portable"...
                  >
                  > Well, it got moved in the end, didn't it? That's a certain definition of "portable".

                  True. ;)

                  > - Dave

                  Cory Smelosky
                  http://gewt.net/ Personal stuff
                  http://gimme-sympathy.org Experiments
                • Brian Roth
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 8, 2013
                    Not yet. I'll try and get time to crack the back open tomorrow.