re: [midatlanticretro] Possible CDC 9747 drive for trade

    Message 1 of 11 , May 8, 2013
      > I just acquired a Control Data 9747 removable pack drive. I am almost
      100% sure this drive has never been used. It is still in its shipping box
      but off its pallet so it can be wheeled around. Its a monster that takes 11
      disk platter packs. I have 1 pack for it. From what I have found I think it
      is around 74 vintage? The platter well is not marked at all and the insides
      are beautiful. The foam has disintegrated though on the panels.

      > I just do not think I want to mess with the 3 phase power to run it. If I
      can make a nice trade for something like a RA60 or RK07 in a lowboy rack
      and a couple of packs, maybe an HSC with a rack of RA drives, I might
      trade it. If not, it'll look cool sitting next to the 11/780 anyway. If
      nobody here is interested I'll check with classiccmp. Its in the western NY
      area.

      > Brian.

      Brian,
      Keep us informed about what happens to it. I maybe Dave McGuire could use
      something like that, Will Donzelli. Don't know. Ain't me.

      bd
    • Mr Ian Primus
      Message 2 of 11 , May 8, 2013
        --- On Wed, 5/8/13, Brian Roth <abacos_98@...> wrote:

        > I just acquired a Control Data 9747 removable pack drive. I am almost
        > 100% sure this drive has never been used. It is still in its shipping box
        > but off its pallet so it can be wheeled around. Its a monster that takes
        > 11 disk platter packs. I have 1 pack for it. From what I have found I
        > think it is around 74 vintage? The platter well is not marked at all and
        > the insides are beautiful. The foam has disintegrated though on the
        > panels.

        I guess this is a new one on me. I thought I knew the CDC drives pretty well, but I'm not familiar with the 9747. Is it a standard SMD interface, or was it something custom? From the description, it sounds like the venerable 9766 (11 platter disk packs and disintegrating foam). And from what I know of the 9766, it is amazingly heavy. And, if you made the mistake of wheeling it into a minivan from a loading dock, you'll have all kinds of fun getting it out, later, without one. Ask me how I know this.

        There was also the 9746, which was a lighter cousin of the 9766, but I think those packs only have five or six platters, and held 60-something MB, versus the 9766, which was 300.

        -Ian
        Message 3 of 11 , May 8, 2013
          On 05/08/2013 07:40 PM, Mr Ian Primus wrote:
          >> I just acquired a Control Data 9747 removable pack drive. I am almost
          >> 100% sure this drive has never been used. It is still in its shipping
          >> box but off its pallet so it can be wheeled around. Its a monster that
          >> takes 11 disk platter packs. I have 1 pack for it. From what I have
          >> found I think it is around 74 vintage? The platter well is not marked at
          >> all and the insides are beautiful. The foam has disintegrated though on
          >> the panels.
          >
          > I guess this is a new one on me. I thought I knew the CDC drives pretty
          > well, but I'm not familiar with the 9747. Is it a standard SMD interface,
          > or was it something custom? From the description, it sounds like the
          > venerable 9766 (11 platter disk packs and disintegrating foam). And from
          > what I know of the 9766, it is amazingly heavy. And, if you made the
          > mistake of wheeling it into a minivan from a loading dock, you'll have all
          > kinds of fun getting it out, later, without one. Ask me how I know this.

          It took four people about four hours to get my 9766 down two flights of
          stairs last year. I don't shy away from moving very many things (I have two
          single-rack computers here that each weigh in excess of a ton), but another
          9766 not on a ground floor, without suitable big moving equipment and an
          elevator, would give me pause.

          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
          New Kensington, PA
        • Cory Smelosky
          Message 4 of 11 , May 8, 2013
            On 8 May 2013, at 19:45, "Dave McGuire" <Mcguire@...> wrote:

            > On 05/08/2013 07:40 PM, Mr Ian Primus wrote:
            >>> I just acquired a Control Data 9747 removable pack drive. I am almost
            >>> 100% sure this drive has never been used. It is still in its shipping
            >>> box but off its pallet so it can be wheeled around. Its a monster that
            >>> takes 11 disk platter packs. I have 1 pack for it. From what I have
            >>> found I think it is around 74 vintage? The platter well is not marked at
            >>> all and the insides are beautiful. The foam has disintegrated though on
            >>> the panels.
            >>
            >> I guess this is a new one on me. I thought I knew the CDC drives pretty
            >> well, but I'm not familiar with the 9747. Is it a standard SMD interface,
            >> or was it something custom? From the description, it sounds like the
            >> venerable 9766 (11 platter disk packs and disintegrating foam). And from
            >> what I know of the 9766, it is amazingly heavy. And, if you made the
            >> mistake of wheeling it into a minivan from a loading dock, you'll have all
            >> kinds of fun getting it out, later, without one. Ask me how I know this.
            >
            > It took four people about four hours to get my 9766 down two flights of
            > stairs last year. I don't shy away from moving very many things (I have two
            > single-rack computers here that each weigh in excess of a ton), but another
            > 9766 not on a ground floor, without suitable big moving equipment and an
            > elevator, would give me pause.

            This was extremely amusing when I misread the subject as "portable"...

            > -Dave
            >
            > --
            > Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
            > New Kensington, PA

          • Brian Roth
            Message 5 of 11 , May 8, 2013
              Here are some pictures.

              http://www.stargeezer.net/SAM_2775.JPG
              http://www.stargeezer.net/SAM_2776.JPG
              http://www.stargeezer.net/SAM_2777.JPG
              http://www.stargeezer.net/SAM_2778.JPG
              http://www.stargeezer.net/SAM_2780.JPG
              http://www.stargeezer.net/SAM_2781.JPG
              http://www.stargeezer.net/SAM_2782.JPG

              Message 6 of 11 , May 8, 2013
                On 05/08/2013 09:41 PM, Brian Roth wrote:
                > Here are some pictures.
                >
                > http://www.stargeezer.net/SAM_2775.JPG
                > http://www.stargeezer.net/SAM_2776.JPG
                > http://www.stargeezer.net/SAM_2777.JPG
                > http://www.stargeezer.net/SAM_2778.JPG
                > http://www.stargeezer.net/SAM_2780.JPG
                > http://www.stargeezer.net/SAM_2781.JPG
                > http://www.stargeezer.net/SAM_2782.JPG

                Yow.

                Any idea yet of what interface it has?

                Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                New Kensington, PA
              • David Riley
                Message 7 of 11 , May 8, 2013
                  On May 8, 2013, at 8:08 PM, "Cory Smelosky" <b4@...> wrote:

                  > This was extremely amusing when I misread the subject as "portable"...

                  Well, it got moved in the end, didn't it? That's a certain definition of "portable".

                  - Dave
                • Cory Smelosky
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 8, 2013
                    On Wed, 9 May 2013, David Riley wrote:

                    > On May 8, 2013, at 8:08 PM, "Cory Smelosky" <b4@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> This was extremely amusing when I misread the subject as "portable"...
                    >
                    > Well, it got moved in the end, didn't it? That's a certain definition of "portable".

                    True. ;)

                    > - Dave

                    Cory Smelosky
                    http://gewt.net/ Personal stuff
                    http://gimme-sympathy.org Experiments
                  • Brian Roth
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 8, 2013
                      Not yet. I'll try and get time to crack the back open tomorrow.