Possible CDC 9747 drive for trade

  • Brian Roth
    Message 1 of 11 , May 8, 2013
       I just acquired a Control Data 9747 removable pack drive. I am almost 100% sure this drive has never been used. It is still in its shipping box but off its pallet so it can be wheeled around. Its a monster that takes 11 disk platter packs. I have 1 pack for it. From what I have found I think it is around 74 vintage? The platter well is not marked at all and the insides are beautiful. The foam has disintegrated though on the panels.

      I just do not think I want to mess with the 3 phase power to run it. If I can make a nice trade for something like a RA60 or RK07 in a lowboy rack and a couple of packs, maybe an HSC with a rack of RA drives, I might trade it. If not, it'll look cool sitting next to the 11/780 anyway. If nobody here is interested I'll check with classiccmp. Its in the western NY area.

      Brian.
      Message 2 of 11 , May 8, 2013
        > I just acquired a Control Data 9747 removable pack drive. I am almost
        100% sure this drive has never been used. It is still in its shipping box
        but off its pallet so it can be wheeled around. Its a monster that takes 11
        disk platter packs. I have 1 pack for it. From what I have found I think it
        is around 74 vintage? The platter well is not marked at all and the insides
        are beautiful. The foam has disintegrated though on the panels.

        > I just do not think I want to mess with the 3 phase power to run it. If I
        can make a nice trade for something like a RA60 or RK07 in a lowboy rack
        and a couple of packs, maybe an HSC with a rack of RA drives, I might
        trade it. If not, it'll look cool sitting next to the 11/780 anyway. If
        nobody here is interested I'll check with classiccmp. Its in the western NY
        area.

        > Brian.

        Brian,
        Keep us informed about what happens to it. I maybe Dave McGuire could use
        something like that, Will Donzelli. Don't know. Ain't me.

        bd
      • Mr Ian Primus
        Message 3 of 11 , May 8, 2013
          --- On Wed, 5/8/13, Brian Roth <abacos_98@...> wrote:

          > I just acquired a Control Data 9747 removable pack drive. I am almost
          > 100% sure this drive has never been used. It is still in its shipping box
          > but off its pallet so it can be wheeled around. Its a monster that takes
          > 11 disk platter packs. I have 1 pack for it. From what I have found I
          > think it is around 74 vintage? The platter well is not marked at all and
          > the insides are beautiful. The foam has disintegrated though on the
          > panels.

          I guess this is a new one on me. I thought I knew the CDC drives pretty well, but I'm not familiar with the 9747. Is it a standard SMD interface, or was it something custom? From the description, it sounds like the venerable 9766 (11 platter disk packs and disintegrating foam). And from what I know of the 9766, it is amazingly heavy. And, if you made the mistake of wheeling it into a minivan from a loading dock, you'll have all kinds of fun getting it out, later, without one. Ask me how I know this.

          There was also the 9746, which was a lighter cousin of the 9766, but I think those packs only have five or six platters, and held 60-something MB, versus the 9766, which was 300.

          -Ian
          Message 4 of 11 , May 8, 2013
            On 05/08/2013 07:40 PM, Mr Ian Primus wrote:
            >> I just acquired a Control Data 9747 removable pack drive. I am almost
            >> 100% sure this drive has never been used. It is still in its shipping
            >> box but off its pallet so it can be wheeled around. Its a monster that
            >> takes 11 disk platter packs. I have 1 pack for it. From what I have
            >> found I think it is around 74 vintage? The platter well is not marked at
            >> all and the insides are beautiful. The foam has disintegrated though on
            >> the panels.
            >
            > I guess this is a new one on me. I thought I knew the CDC drives pretty
            > well, but I'm not familiar with the 9747. Is it a standard SMD interface,
            > or was it something custom? From the description, it sounds like the
            > venerable 9766 (11 platter disk packs and disintegrating foam). And from
            > what I know of the 9766, it is amazingly heavy. And, if you made the
            > mistake of wheeling it into a minivan from a loading dock, you'll have all
            > kinds of fun getting it out, later, without one. Ask me how I know this.

            It took four people about four hours to get my 9766 down two flights of
            stairs last year. I don't shy away from moving very many things (I have two
            single-rack computers here that each weigh in excess of a ton), but another
            9766 not on a ground floor, without suitable big moving equipment and an
            elevator, would give me pause.

            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
            New Kensington, PA
          • Cory Smelosky
            Message 5 of 11 , May 8, 2013
              On 8 May 2013, at 19:45, "Dave McGuire" <Mcguire@...> wrote:

              > On 05/08/2013 07:40 PM, Mr Ian Primus wrote:
              >>> I just acquired a Control Data 9747 removable pack drive. I am almost
              >>> 100% sure this drive has never been used. It is still in its shipping
              >>> box but off its pallet so it can be wheeled around. Its a monster that
              >>> takes 11 disk platter packs. I have 1 pack for it. From what I have
              >>> found I think it is around 74 vintage? The platter well is not marked at
              >>> all and the insides are beautiful. The foam has disintegrated though on
              >>> the panels.
              >>
              >> I guess this is a new one on me. I thought I knew the CDC drives pretty
              >> well, but I'm not familiar with the 9747. Is it a standard SMD interface,
              >> or was it something custom? From the description, it sounds like the
              >> venerable 9766 (11 platter disk packs and disintegrating foam). And from
              >> what I know of the 9766, it is amazingly heavy. And, if you made the
              >> mistake of wheeling it into a minivan from a loading dock, you'll have all
              >> kinds of fun getting it out, later, without one. Ask me how I know this.
              >
              > It took four people about four hours to get my 9766 down two flights of
              > stairs last year. I don't shy away from moving very many things (I have two
              > single-rack computers here that each weigh in excess of a ton), but another
              > 9766 not on a ground floor, without suitable big moving equipment and an
              > elevator, would give me pause.

              This was extremely amusing when I misread the subject as "portable"...

              > -Dave
              >
              > --
              > Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
              > New Kensington, PA

            • Brian Roth
              Message 6 of 11 , May 8, 2013
                Here are some pictures.

                http://www.stargeezer.net/SAM_2775.JPG
                http://www.stargeezer.net/SAM_2776.JPG
                http://www.stargeezer.net/SAM_2777.JPG
                http://www.stargeezer.net/SAM_2778.JPG
                http://www.stargeezer.net/SAM_2780.JPG
                http://www.stargeezer.net/SAM_2781.JPG
                http://www.stargeezer.net/SAM_2782.JPG

                Message 7 of 11 , May 8, 2013
                  On 05/08/2013 09:41 PM, Brian Roth wrote:
                  > Here are some pictures.
                  >
                  > http://www.stargeezer.net/SAM_2775.JPG
                  > http://www.stargeezer.net/SAM_2776.JPG
                  > http://www.stargeezer.net/SAM_2777.JPG
                  > http://www.stargeezer.net/SAM_2778.JPG
                  > http://www.stargeezer.net/SAM_2780.JPG
                  > http://www.stargeezer.net/SAM_2781.JPG
                  > http://www.stargeezer.net/SAM_2782.JPG

                  Yow.

                  Any idea yet of what interface it has?

                  Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                  New Kensington, PA
                • David Riley
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 8, 2013
                    On May 8, 2013, at 8:08 PM, "Cory Smelosky" <b4@...> wrote:

                    > This was extremely amusing when I misread the subject as "portable"...

                    Well, it got moved in the end, didn't it? That's a certain definition of "portable".

                    - Dave
                  • Cory Smelosky
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 8, 2013
                      On Wed, 9 May 2013, David Riley wrote:

                      > On May 8, 2013, at 8:08 PM, "Cory Smelosky" <b4@...> wrote:
                      >
                      >> This was extremely amusing when I misread the subject as "portable"...
                      >
                      > Well, it got moved in the end, didn't it? That's a certain definition of "portable".

                      True. ;)

                      > - Dave

                      Cory Smelosky
                      http://gewt.net/ Personal stuff
                      http://gimme-sympathy.org Experiments
                    • Brian Roth
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 8, 2013
                        Not yet. I'll try and get time to crack the back open tomorrow.