What using Google would have been like in 1960

  • David
    Message 1 of 9 , May 8, 2013
      This is hilarious!

      http://www.masswerk.at/google60/

      -- Dave Sica

      Message 2 of 9 , May 10, 2013
        > This is hilarious!
        >
        > http://www.masswerk.at/google60/
        >
        > -- Dave Sica

        Awesome! Thanks for sharing that.
      • Cory Smelosky
        Message 3 of 9 , May 10, 2013
          On Fri, 10 May 2013, Evan Koblentz wrote:

          >> This is hilarious!
          >>
          >> http://www.masswerk.at/google60/
          >>
          >> -- Dave Sica
          >>

          > Awesome! Thanks for sharing that.

          I second this! This is quite amusing.

          Cory Smelosky
          http://gewt.net/ Personal stuff
          http://gimme-sympathy.org Experiments
        • RonK
          Message 4 of 9 , May 10, 2013
            Boy! Did this bring back memories! I think the site would make a great hands-on exhibit for the museum.

            Ron K

            Message 5 of 9 , May 10, 2013
              >> Boy! Did this bring back memories! I think the site would make a great hands-on exhibit for the museum.

              I considered that, briefly, and then thought better of it. Kids would think we had Google back then. :) We learned that lesson when displaying the Guitar Hero hack for C64 at Maker Faire a couple of years ago. Children thought that's how we played it back in the 80s.....

              I'd rather get you volunteers to diligently restore our IBM 1130. :)
            • Cory Smelosky
              Message 6 of 9 , May 10, 2013
                On 10 May 2013, at 19:18, "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> wrote:

                >>> Boy! Did this bring back memories! I think the site would make a great hands-on exhibit for the museum.
                >
                > I considered that, briefly, and then thought better of it. Kids would think we had Google back then. :) We learned that lesson when displaying the Guitar Hero hack for C64 at Maker Faire a couple of years ago. Children thought that's how we played it back in the 80s…..

                Hmmm. 8-bit guitar hero!

                I'd be willing to play that. How many voices can the C64's sound chip handle?

                Message 7 of 9 , May 10, 2013
                  >> Hmmm. 8-bit guitar hero! I'd be willing to play that.

                  It is fun...!

                  >> How many voices can the C64's sound chip handle?

                  I don't know. Jeff B.?
                • David Riley
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 10, 2013
                    On May 10, 2013, at 19:29, "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> wrote:

                    >> How many voices can the C64's sound chip handle?

                    I don't know. Jeff B.?

                    The SID can do three voices simultaneously. But if you're clever enough with your composition, you can make it sound like more.

                    - Dave
                  • Cory Smelosky
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 10, 2013
                      On Fri, 11 May 2013, David Riley wrote:

                      > On May 10, 2013, at 19:29, "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> wrote:
                      >

                      > >> How many voices can the C64's sound chip handle?
                      >
                      > I don't know. Jeff B.?
                      >

                      > The SID can do three voices simultaneously. But if you're clever enough with your composition, you can make it sound like more.

                      Hmmmm.

                      So it could play heavy funeral drone doom death genocide metal! It'd only
                      need 3 voices playing random loud, harsh square waves anyway! ;)