Re: [midatlanticretro] FW:

  • madodel
    Message 1 of 9 , May 8, 2013
      On 5/8/13 9:31 AM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
      > Virus? Doubtful; my daily computing devices are Ubuntu and BlackBerry.

      What I have seen before is they hack a gmail, yahoo or similar web mail
      account, steal someone's address book and then send out SPAM messages to
      the entire address book using as the From address one of the entries, not
      the original victims. They don't even have to breach a local machine to do
      this so can't even blame windoze users for it. I'm seeing this type of
      attack more and more lately. There isn't much of anything that can be done
      once it happens, unless you can hunt down and kill the SPAMmers. But it
      explains why Apple is now forcing me to make all my mac.com passwords more
      complicated.

      Mark

      From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

      Warpstock 2013 - http://www.warpstock.org
      Warpstock Europe 2013 -http://www.warpstock.eu

      http://www.os2voice.org

      democratic State itself. That in it's essence, is Fascism - ownership
      of government by an individual, by a group or by any controlling private
      Investigation, 1938
    • Cory Smelosky
      Message 2 of 9 , May 8, 2013
        On Wed, 8 May 2013, madodel wrote:

        > On 5/8/13 9:31 AM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
        >> Virus? Doubtful; my daily computing devices are Ubuntu and BlackBerry.
        >>

        > What I have seen before is they hack a gmail, yahoo or similar web mail
        > account, steal someone's address book and then send out SPAM messages to
        > the entire address book using as the From address one of the entries, not
        > the original victims. They don't even have to breach a local machine to do
        > this so can't even blame windoze users for it. I'm seeing this type of
        > attack more and more lately. There isn't much of anything that can be done
        > once it happens, unless you can hunt down and kill the SPAMmers. But it
        > explains why Apple is now forcing me to make all my mac.com passwords more
        > complicated.

        Similar happened to one of my gmail accounts.

        The spammers seem to have gotten an ancient address book though and they
        waited over a year to spam people in it...

        > Mark

        Cory Smelosky
        http://gewt.net/ Personal stuff
        http://gimme-sympathy.org Experiments