Woman Needs Help with ASCII Banner for Uncle's Memorial

  • Christian Liendo
    Message 1 of 1 , May 8, 2013
      I figured someone would want to help out with this.

      http://www.vintagecomputing.com/index.php/archives/979

      Just today I received an email asking for help in producing an
      ASCII-art style printed banner for a memorial service that will take
      place this Saturday, May 11th, 2013. They will be honoring a lifetime
      IBM veteran.
      I have a few ideas on how to do it, but I'm short on time this week, so I'm hoping someone out there can help her. Here is her email
      (posted with permission):
      Hello. My uncle recently passed away quite unexpectedly
      at the age of 69. We are holding his memorial on Saturday, May 11th. I
      have been racking my brain on a way to honor him at his memorial. My
      uncle was a lifetime IBM employee and computer pioneer.
      >In 1979, when I was 9 years old, he gave me a banner for my
      birthday. It was from the old dot matrix printers. It had a silhouette of Snoopy on the top of his dog house and it said "Happy Birthday
      Chimene". I literally thought it was the coolest thing. This was before home computers and home printers for our family. The letters were made
      with x or o or maybe dashes. Because my brain had no conceptual
      framework for the world of computers, I literally wondered if it was
      created by magic.
      >I would like to have one of these made for my uncle for his
      memorial. Do you have any idea how I could go about getting this done? I am not tech savvy so I would love to find someone that can do this for
      me and do it quickly. I know that there would be no better way for me
      to honor my uncle and I am desperate to find a way to get this done.
      Any help you can provide would be so greatly appreciated.
      >Chimene
      Post your suggestions or offers to help in the comments, and Chimene will keep an eye on them. I'll pass along your email address (leave it in the comment form) if she wants to contact you further.