Re: [midatlanticretro] FW:

  • David Riley
    Message 1 of 9 , May 8 6:39 AM
      Could be browser click hijacking. I've had links I visited "like" things on Facebook that I didn't exactly authorize. That's a little harder to do with email, though, unless there's a huge cross-site-scripting hole in your webmail client.

      - Dave

      On May 8, 2013, at 9:31 AM, "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> wrote:

      > Virus? Doubtful; my daily computing devices are Ubuntu and BlackBerry.

    • madodel
      Message 2 of 9 , May 8 9:09 AM
        On 5/8/13 9:31 AM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
        > Virus? Doubtful; my daily computing devices are Ubuntu and BlackBerry.

        What I have seen before is they hack a gmail, yahoo or similar web mail
        account, steal someone's address book and then send out SPAM messages to
        the entire address book using as the From address one of the entries, not
        the original victims. They don't even have to breach a local machine to do
        this so can't even blame windoze users for it. I'm seeing this type of
        attack more and more lately. There isn't much of anything that can be done
        once it happens, unless you can hunt down and kill the SPAMmers. But it
        explains why Apple is now forcing me to make all my mac.com passwords more
        complicated.

        Mark

        From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

        Warpstock 2013 - http://www.warpstock.org
        Warpstock Europe 2013 -http://www.warpstock.eu

        http://www.os2voice.org

        democratic State itself. That in it's essence, is Fascism - ownership
        of government by an individual, by a group or by any controlling private
        Investigation, 1938
      • Cory Smelosky
        Message 3 of 9 , May 8 9:40 AM
          On Wed, 8 May 2013, madodel wrote:

          > On 5/8/13 9:31 AM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
          >> Virus? Doubtful; my daily computing devices are Ubuntu and BlackBerry.
          >>

          > What I have seen before is they hack a gmail, yahoo or similar web mail
          > account, steal someone's address book and then send out SPAM messages to
          > the entire address book using as the From address one of the entries, not
          > the original victims. They don't even have to breach a local machine to do
          > this so can't even blame windoze users for it. I'm seeing this type of
          > attack more and more lately. There isn't much of anything that can be done
          > once it happens, unless you can hunt down and kill the SPAMmers. But it
          > explains why Apple is now forcing me to make all my mac.com passwords more
          > complicated.

          Similar happened to one of my gmail accounts.

          The spammers seem to have gotten an ancient address book though and they
          waited over a year to spam people in it...

          > Mark

          Cory Smelosky
          http://gewt.net/ Personal stuff
          http://gimme-sympathy.org Experiments