Re: [midatlanticretro] FW:

    Message 1 of 9 , May 8, 2013
      Virus? Doubtful; my daily computing devices are Ubuntu and BlackBerry.

      Message 2 of 9 , May 8, 2013
        Could be browser click hijacking. I've had links I visited "like" things on Facebook that I didn't exactly authorize. That's a little harder to do with email, though, unless there's a huge cross-site-scripting hole in your webmail client.

        - Dave

        On May 8, 2013, at 9:31 AM, "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> wrote:

        > Virus? Doubtful; my daily computing devices are Ubuntu and BlackBerry.

      • madodel
        Message 3 of 9 , May 8, 2013
          On 5/8/13 9:31 AM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
          > Virus? Doubtful; my daily computing devices are Ubuntu and BlackBerry.

          What I have seen before is they hack a gmail, yahoo or similar web mail
          account, steal someone's address book and then send out SPAM messages to
          the entire address book using as the From address one of the entries, not
          the original victims. They don't even have to breach a local machine to do
          this so can't even blame windoze users for it. I'm seeing this type of
          attack more and more lately. There isn't much of anything that can be done
          once it happens, unless you can hunt down and kill the SPAMmers. But it
          explains why Apple is now forcing me to make all my mac.com passwords more
          complicated.

          Mark

          From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

          Warpstock 2013 - http://www.warpstock.org
          Warpstock Europe 2013 -http://www.warpstock.eu

          http://www.os2voice.org

          democratic State itself. That in it's essence, is Fascism - ownership
          of government by an individual, by a group or by any controlling private
          Investigation, 1938
        • Cory Smelosky
          Message 4 of 9 , May 8, 2013
            On Wed, 8 May 2013, madodel wrote:

            > On 5/8/13 9:31 AM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
            >> Virus? Doubtful; my daily computing devices are Ubuntu and BlackBerry.
            >>

            > What I have seen before is they hack a gmail, yahoo or similar web mail
            > account, steal someone's address book and then send out SPAM messages to
            > the entire address book using as the From address one of the entries, not
            > the original victims. They don't even have to breach a local machine to do
            > this so can't even blame windoze users for it. I'm seeing this type of
            > attack more and more lately. There isn't much of anything that can be done
            > once it happens, unless you can hunt down and kill the SPAMmers. But it
            > explains why Apple is now forcing me to make all my mac.com passwords more
            > complicated.

            Similar happened to one of my gmail accounts.

            The spammers seem to have gotten an ancient address book though and they
            waited over a year to spam people in it...

            > Mark

            Cory Smelosky
            http://gewt.net/ Personal stuff
            http://gimme-sympathy.org Experiments