Re: [midatlanticretro] FW:

    Message 1 of 9 , May 8, 2013
      Crap ... sorry everyone, I don't know how the message below happened. :(

      Message 2 of 9 , May 8, 2013
        Virus? Doubtful; my daily computing devices are Ubuntu and BlackBerry.

        Message 3 of 9 , May 8, 2013
          Could be browser click hijacking. I've had links I visited "like" things on Facebook that I didn't exactly authorize. That's a little harder to do with email, though, unless there's a huge cross-site-scripting hole in your webmail client.

          - Dave

          On May 8, 2013, at 9:31 AM, "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> wrote:

          > Virus? Doubtful; my daily computing devices are Ubuntu and BlackBerry.

        • madodel
          Message 4 of 9 , May 8, 2013
            On 5/8/13 9:31 AM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
            > Virus? Doubtful; my daily computing devices are Ubuntu and BlackBerry.

            What I have seen before is they hack a gmail, yahoo or similar web mail
            account, steal someone's address book and then send out SPAM messages to
            the entire address book using as the From address one of the entries, not
            the original victims. They don't even have to breach a local machine to do
            this so can't even blame windoze users for it. I'm seeing this type of
            attack more and more lately. There isn't much of anything that can be done
            once it happens, unless you can hunt down and kill the SPAMmers. But it
            explains why Apple is now forcing me to make all my mac.com passwords more
            complicated.

            Mark

            From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

            Warpstock 2013 - http://www.warpstock.org
            Warpstock Europe 2013 -http://www.warpstock.eu

            http://www.os2voice.org

            democratic State itself. That in it's essence, is Fascism - ownership
            of government by an individual, by a group or by any controlling private
            Investigation, 1938
          • Cory Smelosky
            Message 5 of 9 , May 8, 2013
              On Wed, 8 May 2013, madodel wrote:

              > On 5/8/13 9:31 AM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
              >> Virus? Doubtful; my daily computing devices are Ubuntu and BlackBerry.
              >>

              > What I have seen before is they hack a gmail, yahoo or similar web mail
              > account, steal someone's address book and then send out SPAM messages to
              > the entire address book using as the From address one of the entries, not
              > the original victims. They don't even have to breach a local machine to do
              > this so can't even blame windoze users for it. I'm seeing this type of
              > attack more and more lately. There isn't much of anything that can be done
              > once it happens, unless you can hunt down and kill the SPAMmers. But it
              > explains why Apple is now forcing me to make all my mac.com passwords more
              > complicated.

              Similar happened to one of my gmail accounts.

              The spammers seem to have gotten an ancient address book though and they
              waited over a year to spam people in it...

              > Mark

              Cory Smelosky
              http://gewt.net/ Personal stuff
              http://gimme-sympathy.org Experiments