Re: [midatlanticretro] FW:

  • David Riley
    Message 1 of 9 , May 8, 2013
      On May 8, 2013, at 8:31, "Wesley Furr" <wesley@...> wrote:

      Or email address is being spoofed...I think that's the problem about half
      the time...

      I'd go with that, except an identical message (from Evan) also popped up on cctalk.

      - Dave
      Message 2 of 9 , May 8, 2013
        Crap ... sorry everyone, I don't know how the message below happened. :(

        Message 3 of 9 , May 8, 2013
          Virus? Doubtful; my daily computing devices are Ubuntu and BlackBerry.

          Message 4 of 9 , May 8, 2013
            Could be browser click hijacking. I've had links I visited "like" things on Facebook that I didn't exactly authorize. That's a little harder to do with email, though, unless there's a huge cross-site-scripting hole in your webmail client.

            - Dave

            On May 8, 2013, at 9:31 AM, "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> wrote:

            > Virus? Doubtful; my daily computing devices are Ubuntu and BlackBerry.

          • madodel
            Message 5 of 9 , May 8, 2013
              On 5/8/13 9:31 AM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
              > Virus? Doubtful; my daily computing devices are Ubuntu and BlackBerry.

              What I have seen before is they hack a gmail, yahoo or similar web mail
              account, steal someone's address book and then send out SPAM messages to
              the entire address book using as the From address one of the entries, not
              the original victims. They don't even have to breach a local machine to do
              this so can't even blame windoze users for it. I'm seeing this type of
              attack more and more lately. There isn't much of anything that can be done
              once it happens, unless you can hunt down and kill the SPAMmers. But it
              explains why Apple is now forcing me to make all my mac.com passwords more
              complicated.

              Mark

              From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

              Warpstock 2013 - http://www.warpstock.org
              Warpstock Europe 2013 -http://www.warpstock.eu

              http://www.os2voice.org

              democratic State itself. That in it's essence, is Fascism - ownership
              of government by an individual, by a group or by any controlling private
              Investigation, 1938
            • Cory Smelosky
              Message 6 of 9 , May 8, 2013
                On Wed, 8 May 2013, madodel wrote:

                > On 5/8/13 9:31 AM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                >> Virus? Doubtful; my daily computing devices are Ubuntu and BlackBerry.
                >>

                > What I have seen before is they hack a gmail, yahoo or similar web mail
                > account, steal someone's address book and then send out SPAM messages to
                > the entire address book using as the From address one of the entries, not
                > the original victims. They don't even have to breach a local machine to do
                > this so can't even blame windoze users for it. I'm seeing this type of
                > attack more and more lately. There isn't much of anything that can be done
                > once it happens, unless you can hunt down and kill the SPAMmers. But it
                > explains why Apple is now forcing me to make all my mac.com passwords more
                > complicated.

                Similar happened to one of my gmail accounts.

                The spammers seem to have gotten an ancient address book though and they
                waited over a year to spam people in it...

                > Mark

                Cory Smelosky
                http://gewt.net/ Personal stuff
                http://gimme-sympathy.org Experiments