RE: [midatlanticretro] FW:

  • Wesley Furr
    Message 1 of 9 , May 8, 2013
      Or email address is being spoofed...I think that's the problem about half
      the time...

      Wesley

        Or email address is being spoofed...I think that's the problem about half
        the time...

        I'd go with that, except an identical message (from Evan) also popped up on cctalk.

        - Dave
        Message 3 of 9 , May 8, 2013
          Crap ... sorry everyone, I don't know how the message below happened. :(

          Message 4 of 9 , May 8, 2013
            Virus? Doubtful; my daily computing devices are Ubuntu and BlackBerry.

            Message 5 of 9 , May 8, 2013
              Could be browser click hijacking. I've had links I visited "like" things on Facebook that I didn't exactly authorize. That's a little harder to do with email, though, unless there's a huge cross-site-scripting hole in your webmail client.

              - Dave

              On May 8, 2013, at 9:31 AM, "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> wrote:

              > Virus? Doubtful; my daily computing devices are Ubuntu and BlackBerry.

            • madodel
              Message 6 of 9 , May 8, 2013
                On 5/8/13 9:31 AM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                > Virus? Doubtful; my daily computing devices are Ubuntu and BlackBerry.

                What I have seen before is they hack a gmail, yahoo or similar web mail
                account, steal someone's address book and then send out SPAM messages to
                the entire address book using as the From address one of the entries, not
                the original victims. They don't even have to breach a local machine to do
                this so can't even blame windoze users for it. I'm seeing this type of
                attack more and more lately. There isn't much of anything that can be done
                once it happens, unless you can hunt down and kill the SPAMmers. But it
                explains why Apple is now forcing me to make all my mac.com passwords more
                complicated.

                Mark

                From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

                Warpstock 2013 - http://www.warpstock.org
                Warpstock Europe 2013 -http://www.warpstock.eu

                http://www.os2voice.org

                democratic State itself. That in it's essence, is Fascism - ownership
                of government by an individual, by a group or by any controlling private
                Investigation, 1938
              • Cory Smelosky
                Message 7 of 9 , May 8, 2013
                  On Wed, 8 May 2013, madodel wrote:

                  > On 5/8/13 9:31 AM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                  >> Virus? Doubtful; my daily computing devices are Ubuntu and BlackBerry.
                  >>

                  > What I have seen before is they hack a gmail, yahoo or similar web mail
                  > account, steal someone's address book and then send out SPAM messages to
                  > the entire address book using as the From address one of the entries, not
                  > the original victims. They don't even have to breach a local machine to do
                  > this so can't even blame windoze users for it. I'm seeing this type of
                  > attack more and more lately. There isn't much of anything that can be done
                  > once it happens, unless you can hunt down and kill the SPAMmers. But it
                  > explains why Apple is now forcing me to make all my mac.com passwords more
                  > complicated.

                  Similar happened to one of my gmail accounts.

                  The spammers seem to have gotten an ancient address book though and they
                  waited over a year to spam people in it...

                  > Mark

                  Cory Smelosky
                  http://gewt.net/ Personal stuff
                  http://gimme-sympathy.org Experiments